Tesco’s Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as my neighbours like to think that they're getting
Your neighbours will not be your only customers.

Headingley borough is about 3k x 2k and even another k outside that wouldn't dilute the definition of local.

You might produce enough in future to supply the golf club, and they'd want Headingley on the label.

I'd hang on to the strong brand name you have already, a name known throughout Yorkshire and the rest of the world for the cricketing connection.

My wife argues that we shouldn't mix the honey from the two apiaries, and should find a new name for the produce of the new site,

I agree with your wife....more as an opportunity for a variety of names , rather than for legality. "Adel Honey" runs off the tongue (don't pardon the pun). And what about "Golden Acre Honey"?...I would buy it. :)

Golden Acre Honey
There's cheap imported honey with that sort of title in the Turkish supermarket at the top of my road. It's cheap because it's diluted with sugar, though the label has the good grace to say so.

Locking honey to a locality gives a USP which will spread far and wide and keep you in business for as long as you want. Why throw that away for the sake of variety or meaningless novelty?

Charles Revson, founder of Revlon, used to say he sold hope, not makeup. What is a beekeeper selling? What is your USP? It's the locality of your product and not the one with a meaningless title that I can buy at the top of my road.

There's cheap imported honey with that sort of title in the Turkish supermarket at the top of my road. It's cheap because it's diluted with sugar, though the label has the good grace to say so.

Locking honey to a locality gives a USP which will spread far and wide and keep you in business for as long as you want. Why throw that away for the sake of variety or meaningless novelty?

Charles Revson, founder of Revlon, used to say he sold hope, not makeup. What is a beekeeper selling? What is your USP? It's the locality of your product and not the one with a meaningless title that I can buy at the top of my road.

The names I suggested aren't inventions from thin air; they refer to specific localities close to his new apiary of which I thought @thorn might be aware.
So I understand and appreciate your point. Screenshot (54).png

The names I suggested aren't inventions from thin air; they refer to specific localities close to his new apiary...
So I understand and appreciate your point.
I'm not so sure: the point is that Headingly is well-known for miles around and over the horizon, and Golden Acres or Adel are (in all likelihood) unknown beyond the immediate vicinity and so less of a draw.

The names I suggested aren't inventions from thin air; they refer to specific localities close to his new apiary of which I thought @thorn might be aware.
So I understand and appreciate your point. View attachment 24392
The new apiary is on that map, though the present one is just off it to the south. The present one is urban, the new one will be rural. To mix or not to mix, that is the question. I'm leaning toward separating them.

Personally I would separate them. I have an apiary in the village and one in a more urban environment. I give separate names as I know the people that buy in the village really want it due to the local nature of it.

I very much use the 'local' aspect of my honey as a USP. My labels are post coded and the honey is never mixed together before bottling. I regard a three mile radius out from my apiaries qualifies as 'local.'

I very much use the 'local' aspect of my honey as a USP. My labels are post coded and the honey is never mixed together before bottling. I regard a three mile radius out from my apiaries qualifies as 'local.'
I agree, I even put a post code (not always the exact one) on my labels so people can see how close they are to the hives but all my hives are tucked in people's gardens out of sight so I'm not overly worried about theft.

Might sell well in a gothic niche market but i dont know any goths.
I dont think it'll be such a good heading for the farm shop.
"What we do in the Apiaries?" 🦇bee-smillie🦇

My honey is labelled "Biddulph Honey".

Many of my customers buy it as gifts when travelling to visit friends and relations: it's local produce and reminds the recipient of the givers every time it is eaten.

It appears to be a major selling point for some customers: apart from Staffordshire Oatcakes, there is little locally produced produce for sale.

My labels and advert board name my village. Good for honey sales at Christmas.

Attachments

• IMG_0601.jpeg
    IMG_0601.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
  • B025C458-B33C-467B-807B-0CB86A71B2C8_1_201_a.jpeg
    B025C458-B33C-467B-807B-0CB86A71B2C8_1_201_a.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 34
I thought Tesco had pulled that honey. Our local Trading Standards (Richmond on Thames) did a magnetic resonance test which showed that it contained sugar syrup.

I thought Tesco had pulled that honey. Our local Trading Standards (Richmond on Thames) did a magnetic resonance test which showed that it contained sugar syrup.
They did, but they are most probably trying again with liquid honey!

Back