Tesco’s Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought Tesco had pulled that honey. Our local Trading Standards (Richmond on Thames) did a magnetic resonance test which showed that it contained sugar syrup.
It was put back on the shelves. I contacted the Food Crimes Unit about this who just forwarded me message onto Tesco who repeated their mantra 'its 100% pure'. Apparently they think the NMR test has too few samples to compare against possible fake honey to be reliable..
I wrote again to the FCU who said it was a confidential matter and refused to say how many cases had been raised under the Honey Regulations

It was put back on the shelves. I contacted the Food Crimes Unit about this who just forwarded me message onto Tesco who repeated their mantra 'its 100% pure'. Apparently they think the NMR test has too few samples to compare against possible fake honey to be reliable..
I wrote again to the FCU who said it was a confidential matter and refused to say how many cases had been raised under the Honey Regulations
This is the way, only continuous pressure will get this issue addressed, otherwise it's much too convenient to brush it under the carpet, any procurement officer for a large company will find the path of least resistance is not to ask too many questions, so customers must insist on those questions being asked, and let's face it, no one has such a vested interest as beekeepers trying to rescue the good name if their product.
Edit: my wife recently wrote a blogg on the subject, I won't post a link as it's linked to my commercial website but if anyone's interested and doesn't know where to look pm me.

Can you get your local press and regional TV involved?

Back