Honey Analysis

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national
ADMINS if in wrong section please delete or move.
There is a story about the analysis.. During the latter half of September I was being plauged by PMs on FB asking why I was selling my honey so cheaply (I sell the honey for £5 per pound then add the price of the jar etc on top) The common question asked was " Do you add sugar to the honey to sell it so cheap" AND " Is it because you add sugar that the honey crystalizes so quickly". The butcher who sells my honey was also being asked the same questions... So.. at 9'30 AM on the 17 October '23 I had the exspected phone call from " Fair Trading" RCT.. The official was at our door at 1300 hrs.. We had a pleasant chat about why/how honey crystalizes, and water content.. He chose 3 different "extractions" of honey to taste, was very surprised at the different tastes, Then chose 2,12oz jars from different "batches" for analysis.. The reports are attached... Strangley I have not sold any honey since the end of October..

Attachments

• Honey Reports 2023.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 7
ADMINS if in wrong section please delete or move.
There is a story about the analysis.. During the latter half of September I was being plauged by PMs on FB asking why I was selling my honey so cheaply (I sell the honey for £5 per pound then add the price of the jar etc on top) The common question asked was " Do you add sugar to the honey to sell it so cheap" AND " Is it because you add sugar that the honey crystalizes so quickly". The butcher who sells my honey was also being asked the same questions... So.. at 9'30 AM on the 17 October '23 I had the exspected phone call from " Fair Trading" RCT.. The official was at our door at 1300 hrs.. We had a pleasant chat about why/how honey crystalizes, and water content.. He chose 3 different "extractions" of honey to taste, was very surprised at the different tastes, Then chose 2,12oz jars from different "batches" for analysis.. The reports are attached... Strangley I have not sold any honey since the end of October..
Do you think you were targeted by someone?

Last edited:
Those reports are worth a fortune ... if you had to have analysis like that done privately there is hundreds of pounds of testing ...with those in a frame you could add a unique sales aid to your honey displays. Seems odd that you were singled out though ... and a total waste of public funds !

I find this absolutely appalling
Do you know who engaged with you on Facebook?
Got a good idea... Had a message on FB from a bloke who has a common local name over a year ago, didn't respond to it. Don't like the family, wont go into why.. Back in July had another MSG from him asking me how a close family member of mine was doing. Being polite, I politely answered " OK Thank you" A few weeks later he msgd me telling me I had won a sum of money on the Post Code Lottery. I told him that I don't do it and I never gamble.. Had a load of messages trying to get me to claim the money, even offering to validate who I was.. Told him to go away.. Had a very badly worded msg pleading me to reconsider.. So I blocked him... Then the messages started to pour in about the honey.. Some from folk who regularly buy my honey. Will wait and see how it goes.

Strangley, at the end of July I had spoken to my friend and mentor about him taking the hives etc from me (no money to change hands).. So this has given me another reason to get rid of them.

Got a good idea... Had a message on FB from a bloke who has a common local name over a year ago, didn't respond to it. Don't like the family, wont go into why.. Back in July had another MSG from him asking me how a close family member of mine was doing. Being polite, I politely answered " OK Thank you" A few weeks later he msgd me telling me I had won a sum of money on the Post Code Lottery. I told him that I don't do it and I never gamble.. Had a load of messages trying to get me to claim the money, even offering to validate who I was.. Told him to go away.. Had a very badly worded msg pleading me to reconsider.. So I blocked him... Then the messages started to pour in about the honey.. Some from folk who regularly buy my honey. Will wait and see how it goes.

Strangley, at the end of July I had spoken to my friend and mentor about him taking the hives etc from me (no money to change hands).. So this has given me another reason to get rid of them.
I would say that this is a police matter.
Either that or a job for someone to go around and have a 'quiet chat' with him

I had a "Polite Chat" with his father many years ago. He agreed to keep his distance.. But the family are very close to being Neanderthal..

£5 per pound of honey is approximately €10 per kilo, which is the average selling price of honey in Galicia. I would consider that it is a low price for the UK, especially due to the difference in the cost of hives and other beekeeping tools, there is also a difference in the cost of swarms and queens. And finally, we must also consider the difference in the average salary by PPA.

£5 per pound of honey is approximately €10 per kilo, which is the average selling price of honey in Galicia. I would consider that it is a low price for the UK, especially due to the difference in the cost of hives and other beekeeping tools, there is also a difference in the cost of swarms and queens. And finally, we must also consider the difference in the average salary by PPA.
The area I live in, the upper Rhondda Fach, is classed as a very deprived area.. Even with the price I sell it for I don't sell much locally

The area I live in, the upper Rhondda Fach, is classed as a very deprived area.. Even with the price I sell it for I don't sell much locally
I honestly don't understand you:
a. Do you justify your price because it is a disadvantaged area but the bulk of your sales are outside that area or do you try to compete outside your area based on price?
b. You have calculated your costs, I would understand that yes and to favor the local market that would be willing to have a smaller margin.

a. Do you justify your price because it is a disadvantaged area but the bulk of your sales are outside that area or do you try to compete outside your area based on price?
b. You have calculated your costs, I would understand that yes and to favor the local market that would be willing to have a smaller margin.
That’s not the issue is it, though.
The issue is that he was stitched up!
@Bryang doesn't have to justify his pricing.

You don't undertand honey prices in the UK vary considerably depending upon the nature and affluence of the people who live in the area and local competition. The area where Bryang lives and sells his honey locally is a very deprived area and thatr dictates the price he can get for his honey ... in richer areas, such as London and the counties around London you can achieve much higher prices.

But ..the price he is selling his honey for is not the issue - someone is making trouble for him by accusing him of mixing his honey with sugar syrup ... to the point where the authorities came and tested his honey. The testing shows that his honey is pure but the slur appears to have affected his local honey sales.

That’s not the issue is it, though.
The issue is that he was stitched up!
@Bryang doesn't have to justify his pricing.
I understood that part perfectly, they have accused him of fraud and the authorities have acted (as they should in any case). I also don't know if their local sales have suffered as a result of the pirate and harassing attitude.
Now you have the best quality certificate and you must value it. Perhaps a QR on the label that digitally refers to the aforementioned report and perhaps change the local target audience.
I have not asked him to reveal his costs but that he should know what they are and allocate them to the price of his honey.
Regardless of his problem, do you think he would have been the subject of a smear campaign and harassment if the price of his honey was £5 for 8-12 ounces?

do you think he would have been the subject of a smear campaign and harassment if the price of his honey was £5 for 8-12 ounces?
From his comments on the matter I suspect they would have found something else but read Philip's comment re location location location

I honestly don't understand you
you obviously don't - or much about the issues we face in the former South and South West Wales coalfields. Even with my career, to survive, the only option was to seek work elsewhere. Which means the majority of the money does not get back to the community.

Last edited:
Regardless of his problem, do you think he would have been the subject of a smear campaign and harassment if the price of his honey was £5 for 8-12 ounces?
The answer is still yes. When you have a vindictive person targeting you, which has no connection with honey sales. If you care to reread Bryang's posts there is a long history of these personal attacks, which have then escalated to target the honey sales.

Curly has his done, I believe. It's probably a good selling point
The information is useful but it’s not contributed to any extra sales, what has .
1 tasters
2 . Giving customers more information while at fairs either by word information about your business.

I plan to do honey tasting days at a few of our shops this year .

Last edited:
I agree totally. Facebook is the perfect platform for sad keyboard warriors to spread their venom anonymously. Facebook famously fails to police them making it attractive to them to smear reputations. The quiet chat approach invariably works with these cowards once identified.

Latest posts

Back