Changing colour of honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Advise please on this years crop. Part of the batch of this year's summer honey has changed colour and consistency.
Same batch, same hive, extracted and bottled on the same day in identical jars. If was filtered at the same time. All the batch was a clear light golden colour with a light consitency. 2 months later half remains the same (top pic) but the other half has darkened, become more opaque and a thicker consistency (bottom pic). I've no idea why. It is all stored in the same room at the same temperature and from hive to jar it's been treated the same. The clear honey is clearer in than in the pic and the changed honey is darker than in the pic.
Can anyone suggest why? The taste is identical as far as I can tell but both parts pf the batch are different as above.
Pic 1.jpgPic 2.jpg

Variable forage gives this outcome; not unusual. The pale version suggests you may be near borage.
Borage is nearby but the whole 10 frames from the one hive were extracted as a batch. Half the batch changed this way and the other half remained the same. I'm puzzled as to why.

Did you stir it well in bucket before jarring? If not the first jar bottled would be a different honey to last jar, and would react differently
Stirred gently to avoid creating air bubbles but I think the clearer ones might have been the first ones out of the bucket.

Latest posts

Back