This year's honey price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It varies.
Last year I sold 340g jars at the garden gate for £6, and £5 to shops and others taking 10 or more jars. Everything is going up. I'm looking at increasing by £1. Are you putting your price up this year, or holding it?

Are you putting your price up this year, or holding it?
Tricky.

After lockdown ended I put up prices from .0266/g to .0279/g, following several years without change. The increase made no difference to sales volume. This year jar prices have increased astronomically, but to pass that to the customer would take my 340 from the current £9.50 to over a tenner, and at that price the customer would notice and sales might be affected.

Tricky.

After lockdown ended I put up prices from .0266/g to .0279/g, following several years without change. The increase made no difference to sales volume. This year jar prices have increased astronomically, but to pass that to the customer would take my 340 from the current £9.50 to over a tenner, and at that price the customer would notice and sales might be affected.
I agree although I don't charge that much - I wish I could. I think that the main problem this year might be the glut of honey and people actually reducing their prices to get rid of it and not prepared to hang on to it in case of a future dearth - it does keep you know.

I have decided not to put prices up this year although I will be paying 8p per jar on my next order. £6 for 340gr at the gate and £5.60 to retailers who sell them for £8.20😭.

It's a fine balance, yes everything is going up but I don't want to be stuck with 100s kgs of unsold honey.

I’m not changing my prices as we have a good store of jars to last for two years.

prices are retained at a premium anyway ( probably more expensive than others ) but sales are still ok .
Something different - selling 1ltr jars .

I have decided not to put prices up this year although I will be paying 8p per jar on my next order. £6 for 340gr at the gate and £5.60 to retailers who sell them for £8.20😭.

It's a fine balance, yes everything is going up but I don't want to be stuck with 100s kgs of unsold honey.
We have 36 buckets left from last year it will keep and become a vintage 🤔.
Don’t be to worried about selling it.

With wanting to sell surplus stocks of honey one factor in my thinking is that my storage space is finite.
On jar prices, isn't part of the decision between whether you run on an historical cost or current cost basis?

On jar prices, isn't part of the decision between whether you run on an historical cost or current cost basis?
I guess one of the main factor is whether beekeeping is your bread earner or like me, a side hobby which means that I can take a small drop in profit without much impact....next year though, my honey will be going up by 50p a jar!!

Costs more because of higher jars and electric etc. But equally people have less money to spend on luxuries such as expensive honey. Mine is going slowly on the gate. I am lucky in as much as I don't produce so much that I cant sell it. Kept mine the same as last year £6 for 12 oz

I had planned a price rise this year, but with the current economic downturn and no hopes of any change whith these shysters in charge, I've already seen a slight decrease in sales so I'll be sticking to these prices for this year as I need to shift some stock (still going through the last of the 2021 stock with a sedful of 2022 honey in the stores)

8p per jar? surely you don't mean that?

Keeping mine at the same price as well. Its interesting to note that others have also seen a slight downturn in demand; odd thing is the retailers are asking for comb, but its just not ready yet. Our school holidays begin this coming weekend, that may make a difference as the town fills up with holiday makers and whiskey hunters.

as the town fills up
London town has been empty for a few weeks and last couple of market takings down by 40%. Early holidays for those that can afford it, but at least roads are less congested.

Last edited:
I've considered putting up my prices but have decided not too. I will try and absorb the costs of jars by buying an even larger amount. At least diesel prices have dropped recently.
Whenever I get asked the price I end with 'same price for six years'.

same price for six years
Yes, I use that, but it's rare that price is mentioned.

At market I offer Bakers' from a tap at a lower price, in tubs or customers' own containers. Subtracting the cost of jar and label + a lower price gives a 25% discount, which is a good deal for many, though I have to warn my Muslim customers to avoid it.

£5 to £6 for 12oz/340g at the gate this year.
£5 for locals, £6 for tourists? This is the approach I have....although with Gower having more outsiders than natives, it is sometimes difficult to identify who is who!🤣

Latest posts

Back