This year's honey price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Costs more because of higher jars and electric etc. But equally people have less money to spend on luxuries such as expensive honey.
I had a stall at a village fayre recently. The burger stall just across the field was doing a roaring trade with burgers at £9.50! 😱

Burger and chips for mum and dad and a couple of kids was about £50 but there was a constant stream of customers all day!

I had a stall at a village fayre recently. The burger stall just across the field was doing a roaring trade with burgers at £9.50! 😱

Burger and chips for mum and dad and a couple of kids was about £50 but there was a constant stream of customers all day!
That's what I do if I have loads, one day at a local village market or fayre can move 100 jars easily.

Like many I was considering an increase to cover jar price rise but have decided to leave it until next year.
My price has increased by 50p every 2 years for the last 4 years so next year (my 6th) it will increase by 50p again.

I've been selling 12oz jar at £6 for longer than I can remember (at least 5 year and probably closer to 10). Only sell at the door and advertise on a local Facebook group, sell out most years, 250lbs last year and have been considering putting up price by 50p to £1 next year as I've had several customer tell me I 'm too cheap.

I’ve resorted to the old shrink- flation! 227g jars @ £4. Although Mr M&S is selling its new UK honey at £5.25 for 227g.
I’ve found that the customer market is after local honey as opposed to cheap or shop bought.
Find yourself a little page on Facebook, local sales, I sold 50Ilb in around 48hrs just through one post. I know need more hives.

I have deliberately kept prices low as I have a bumper crop - 100% up on last year to date.
Many customers are OAPs and are squeezed financially.
Huge increase in hay fever sufferers offset and OAP losses.
I sell out by September as I only do door sales - and yoga classes (who are strong buyers)
My record crop of 450 lbs in 2018 is likely to be beaten this year# - with two fewer production colonies.

# Maybe by a lot depending on lime and weather.

I've been selling 12oz jar at £6 for longer than I can remember (at least 5 year and probably closer to 10). Only sell at the door and advertise on a local Facebook group, sell out most years, 250lbs last year and have been considering putting up price by 50p to £1 next year as I've had several customer tell me I 'm too cheap.
You have done well. Selling at the door here only attracts about 10 jar sales a year and at only £5 a 12 oz jar.

23/09/2023
Kent Wildflower Honey.
£1.75 x 340g filled Hex Jar without a label.
Buckets for sale various weights from. £3.50 per KG.

Just received this email. Obviously no AH pressure at their apiaries 😂

Sections round
Zettle tells me that I've put up Ross Rounds to £12. Extracted bell heather is at £7/235g and £4/135g (0.0298/g).

At market last Saturday took just short of £500 in 4.5hrs. Good amount of honey soap sold, and the heather was v popular. Customers must have recovered from holiday spending, and there were a lot of new faces.

23/09/2023
Kent Wildflower Honey.
£1.75 x 340g filled Hex Jar without a label.
Buckets for sale various weights from. £3.50 per KG.

Just received this email. Obviously no AH pressure at their apiaries 😂
Yes this is my add. I am moving home in a few weeks and its better than going into the tip site. But you would be surprised that peaple still want discount.
In my area with some of the richest peaple Earth our local shops only sell a few jars a month at maximum £6 retail. So i was sitting with over 500kg to get sold.
Thats why its so cheap, i advertised on this site for months bit only dodgy peaple contacting me. I contacted every shop in the area but non are interested.
I am moving my land based work to another community that hopefully sees value in my products.

Yes this is my add. I am moving home in a few weeks and its better than going into the tip site. But you would be surprised that peaple still want discount.
In my area with some of the richest peaple Earth our local shops only sell a few jars a month at maximum £6 retail. So i was sitting with over 500kg to get sold.
Thats why its so cheap, i advertised on this site for months bit only dodgy peaple contacting me. I contacted every shop in the area but non are interested.
I am moving my land based work to another community that hopefully sees value in my products.
A little bit of marketing gone awry?

Why would anyone want to buy cheap artisan honey?

The first question that comes to mind will be 'what's wrong with the honey?'

If you have a good product charge accordingly so that price resonates with quality. Don't compete with supermarkets - you won't win.

A little bit of marketing gone awry?

Why would anyone want to buy cheap artisan honey?

The first question that comes to mind will be 'what's wrong with the honey?'

If you have a good product charge accordingly so that price resonates with quality. Don't compete with supermarkets -
Yes please come and try to sell your honey in our area for £10 a jar. It will be there a very long time. Most retailers here sell for £5 to 6 a jar. 25 jars take 3 months to sell. Not all areas are the same. Price and value are not the same thing. And knowing the difference is important. My add has been on here for months. So be happy with what you get because that is not our reality. My jars look very good nothing wrong with my honey just peaple here do not value honey just macdonalds bmw and cocaine.

This is Patrick Laslett's site?
I wondered how well that worked.
Hope the move goes OK.
Thank you. I am very excited with this move to a more rural area that is very passionate about food, family and community. yes Patricks site is fine.
Just another 100 jars to go. But thats agiculture. I used to sell organic local produce at a few farmers markets in the area. Even though I had passionate loyal regular customers, we just didnt turn the volumes to make it worth while. The culture of the local population does not support or value local food enough..While in the larny areas in london we used to turn thousands in a market day.
So i wish you all a profitable and prosporous season.

I have deliberately kept prices low as I have a bumper crop - 100% up on last year to date.
Many customers are OAPs and are squeezed financially.
Huge increase in hay fever sufferers offset and OAP losses.
I sell out by September as I only do door sales - and yoga classes (who are strong buyers)
My record crop of 450 lbs in 2018 is likely to be beaten this year# - with two fewer production colonies.

# Maybe by a lot depending on lime and weather.
Interesting phrase OAP losses. Can't dispute the factual basis unfortunately and I suspect many of our group might be heading that way (albeit as slowly as possible)😀

Latest posts

Back