Honey price 2024

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
I thought I would get in early with this one, just in case I get some surplus to sell.

I feel I have reached the 'at the gate' cap price for my area at £6 for 12oz although my stockists don't seem to struggle to sell it at £7 50-£8 to visitors and locals.

Last year I froze prices at the gate and for my stockists amid costs increase and this year costs have further increase which doesn't leave me much choice.

I am debating on whether I should increase the price or stick with the price but go down to 10oz jars. I would welcome any feedback from those who have downsized jars on whether you have seen any difference in retail quantity or loss of regulars? Thanks

Noticed a slow down since before Christmas, been undercut at some stockists by beekeepers who must be happy to give their honey away. I can't match the under £3 price per jar.
From the gate, my price has remained unchanged for over five years but even those sales have slowed, whereas a couple of years ago I had regulars telling me I should put the price up.
I don't have much confidence that things will improve any time soon.

Noticed a slow down since before Christmas, been undercut at some stockists by beekeepers who must be happy to give their honey away. I can't match the under £3 price per jar.
From the gate, my price has remained unchanged for over five years but even those sales have slowed, whereas a couple of years ago I had regulars telling me I should put the price up.
I don't have much confidence that things will improve any time soon.
My sales definitely went down at the gate last summer with everyone feeling the pinch and less tourists. Winter has been steady with a few locals.

I am also seeing some new 'kids on the block' also supplying 1 of my stockists which has impacted sales. However, they are still happy to pay what I ask for.

I’ve advertised last years honey in buckets. The number of time wasters I’ve had is bloomin’ annoying.

I’ve advertised last years honey in buckets. The number of time wasters I’ve had is bloomin’ annoying.
I saw your advert on Facebook Dani, sorry to hear about the time wasters! I still have a few buckets of spring and summer, should see me through to the summer if sales stay steady.
Gonna start selling online to increase sales or maybe do less honey and more nucs/queens!

I sell a significant % of my honey from the shelves at the front of my house in 12oz jars so when I was asked to supply a local shop I felt I couldn't as I would be competing with myself!
In the end I decided to supply shops with "white label" 8oz jars which allows them to sell at whatever price they want and nobody can compare the prices.

Last year was one of our busiest years in terms of sales. We normally do one day a month were we offer free deliver to our local area and surrounding villages. On these days we were averaging 90 jars, although just before Christmas was our record breaker with 134 jars ordered. We sell at £4.50 a jar or two for £8 (8oz jars).

We supply a couple of local shops and farm shops but they’re all abit hit and miss when they order.

Latest posts

Back