Honey price 2024

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’re not selling to international travellers and you’re not paying Heathrow business rates. £14 sounds reasonable all things considered

Reactions: mbc
How do you know? You can't see the back label

The way I read the labelling requirements, "spiced honey" wouldn't be acceptable like that. It's not one of the "allowed" descriptions, nor is it specific to the quality of the honey. Honey is honey and nothing else (ok, so comb honey etc. is allowed, I admit). If any of the contents didn't come out of a beehive then you're not supposed to call it honey.

James

The way I read the labelling requirements, "spiced honey" wouldn't be acceptable like that. It's not one of the "allowed" descriptions, nor is it specific to the quality of the honey. Honey is honey and nothing else (ok, so comb honey etc. is allowed, I admit). If any of the contents didn't come out of a beehive then you're not supposed to call it honey.

James
Reg 17. (5) states that 'The product name of a relevant honey may be supplemented by information relating to its specific quality criteria.' (Honey Regs 2015)

So for it to be specific, it must not apply to every honey. Words like raw and natural are not permitted, because they are not specific. A word like 'creamed' would be permitted because it is specific. (Please let's not go down the road that creamed is not permitted because of an allusion to diary products. It describes the process of making a puree.)

But 'spiced' is not a quality but an indication of additional ingredients. I think you can still state 'Spiced honey' (or perhaps Honey with spice') on the label, but you have lost the privilege of not needing to list ingredients (something afforded by complying with the Honey Regs).

Reg 17. (5) states that 'The product name of a relevant honey may be supplemented by information relating to its specific quality criteria.' (Honey Regs 2015)

So for it to be specific, it must not apply to every honey. Words like raw and natural are not permitted, because they are not specific. A word like 'creamed' would be permitted because it is specific. (Please let's not go down the road that creamed is not permitted because of an allusion to diary products. It describes the process of making a puree.)

But 'spiced' is not a quality but an indication of additional ingredients. I think you can still state 'Spiced honey' (or perhaps Honey with spice') on the label, but you have lost the privilege of not needing to list ingredients (something afforded by complying with the Honey Regs).
And lose BBKA insurance as well as it only covers 100% Honey products

Last edited:
I think you can still state 'Spiced honey' (or perhaps Honey with spice') on the label

I don't think you can use the word "honey" at all, but that's just my interpretation of what's written. Your Trading Standards Officer may differ. Words can be tricksy things. What I think you might be able to get away with is naming the product something else entirely, say "Spiced Bee Vomit", and then adding something like "honey with added spices" in a less prominent font.

Actually, let's be honest: you can get away with pretty much anything. It's not a set of regulations that Trading Standards are very hot on enforcing, unless some particular officer is looking for another notch on his clipboard.

James

Actually, let's be honest: you can get away with pretty much anything. It's not a set of regulations that Trading Standards are very hot on enforcing, unless some particular officer is looking for another notch on his clipboard.

James
Chatting to one of our local council's team for registering as a food producer a year or two ago. She said that they had just taken over the Trading Standards work and were anticipating having to learn a lot in a short time. And didn't have much time available either.

Chatting to one of our local council's team for registering as a food producer a year or two ago. She said that they had just taken over the Trading Standards work and were anticipating having to learn a lot in a short time. And didn't have much time available either.

I can imagine that might happen here given that Somerset unitary council is facing a strong likelihood of having to issue a section 114 notice in the next twelve months or so.

James

8oz blossom honey @ £6 and 8oz heather @ £7 here and it sells very well.Always topping up my honesty box. The same honey posted to people is £1 more per jar plus postage. And a lot gets posted too.

Attachments

• 93783510_10157989986810915_2449797007166930944_n-2.jpg
    93783510_10157989986810915_2449797007166930944_n-2.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 3
In one financial year they were anticipating getting over 400kg or 882 lbs of honey from each hive (staggering), so all up it's a lot of honey to shift I guess. They throw in free delivery too.

https://www.homegrownhoney.com.au/a-word-on-certification.html
What a crock of crap - Organic honey production, non medicated bees bla bla bla - if you wanna laugh this morning make sure you click on the homegrownhoney link in Antipodes post.

Latest posts

Back