Now thats what a colony ought to be like ?!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbyjove

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
ONE
Last years swarm that I let swarm two three times this year (DOH!) has pretty much filled a second super.
First super is 7/10 full, second super is 8/10 full.
Never seen so many bees, I guess this is what is 'normal' for bees ?
The first colony I had was queened by a lazy git who pegged it this winter fortunately , so I thought that was 'normal'.
Should I put a third super on now or give it a week or so ?
I did also catch a swarm in my neighbours garden on the 11th May (not from my hive !)
Inspected it today and NO brood whatsoever in any shape or form.
Lots of stores, pollen and honey arches over empty cells that would appear to be getting polished up.
They don't seem 'anxious', but no queen cells on the go.
Do I give them a couple of weeks to see if they are awaiting a mated queen to get going and if not , drop a frame of brood from the other 'all guns bazing' colony ?
Cheers.

Last years swarm that I let swarm two three times this year (DOH!) has pretty much filled a second super.
First super is 7/10 full, second super is 8/10 full.
Never seen so many bees, I guess this is what is 'normal' for bees ?
The first colony I had was queened by a lazy git who pegged it this winter fortunately , so I thought that was 'normal'.
I did also catch a swarm in my neighbours garden on the 11th May (not from my hive !)
Inspected it today and NO brood whatsoever in any shape or form.
Lots of stores, pollen and honey arches over empty cells that would appear to be getting polished up.
They don't seem 'anxious', but no queen cells on the go.
Do I give them a couple of weeks to see if they are awaiting a mated queen to get going and if not , drop a frame of brood from the other 'all guns bazing' colony ?
Cheers.
Give them a frame of eggs and brood if the other colony can afford to lose it.
Re supers - I’d leave them to cap off the two and review how much honey is in the brood box.
Think about what opportunity there is in your area for a late flow.

I let swarm two three times
Did you have a reason to do so?

Depends whether a flow is on. If not, don't bother. Had they not swarmed 3 times, you might now have a colony with 6 full supers, and in need of more.

give them a couple of weeks to see if they are awaiting a mated queen to get going and if not , drop a frame of brood
Give it now, but don't crash about putting it in, and do so early morning or late pm, to avoid disturbing any mating flight.

Did you have a reason to do so?

Depends whether a flow is on. If not, don't bother. Had they not swarmed 3 times, you might now have a colony with 6 full supers, and in need of more.

Give it now, but don't crash about putting it in, and do so early morning or late pm, to avoid disturbing any mating flight.
The reason ?
I'm a fool!
OK Eric I will do that tommorow evening.
Thanks.
Give them a frame of eggs and brood if the other colony can afford to lose it.
Re supers - I’d leave them to cap off the two and review how much honey is in the brood box.
Think about what opportunity there is in your area for a late flow.
Cheers Poot.

I'm a fool!
Wasn't sure whether you were one of those that believe swarming is natural, and declines to intervene. 🙂

Now you have the taste for big colonies & big crops, you may find that next season is the one to introduce swarm management techniques.

Wasn't sure whether you were one of those that believe swarming is natural, and declines to intervene. 🙂

Now you have the taste for big colonies & big crops, you may find that next season is the one to introduce swarm management techniques.
The reason I was so lax about it , I had a lot of extra work on Wolf hall, really long 12 hour plus days and I was just strait up too knackered for about three weeks !
Next year will be my fourth year and according to my club I will no longer be a noob, so yes I have to get on the case for sure.

Latest posts

Back