two questions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeKeyPlayer

From Rainham, Medway (North Kent) UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
48 plus 14 owned by others
1. How should I deal with brood boxes filling up with frames of pollen, such as after a broodless period?

2. I have made a number of nucs for over wintering - a first for me. Perhaps I started them too soon but they are full to bursting now. If I continuously remove brood frames to give room for more brood, isn't that going to result in the queen laying more than she might if left to herself? Is there a balance to be struck, and if so, how do I find it?

Many thanks.

1. How should I deal with brood boxes filling up with frames of pollen, such as after a broodless period?

2. I have made a number of nucs for over wintering - a first for me. Perhaps I started them too soon but they are full to bursting now. If I continuously remove brood frames to give room for more brood, isn't that going to result in the queen laying more than she might if left to herself? Is there a balance to be struck, and if so, how do I find it?

Many thanks.

You have much summer and autumn left, and bees will use pollen to rear winter brood. How much they use, I do not know, how much you hives have pollen

Nucs need lots of pollen to get good winter bees. Nucs are not good to forage pollen. Winter vees will not be gpod if they do not get enough pollen

Many thanks.
I would move the bursting nucs to full size boxes. Why repress them.

One can dummy down a BB for a bursting nuc , no need to constrain them in a smaller BB if they can easily expand and prosper better. On doesn't have to give them the full eleven frames, dummy them to 8 frames if a 5 or 6f nuc.
There are yet 10 -12 weeks before they hunker down for winter and plenty of time for Q's to lay up nice brood for strong colonies.

I would move the bursting nucs to full size boxes. Why repress them.
Well, I wanted to over-winter nucs, not make more full-size colonies. Are you saying that I no longer have that option? I know that, for a range of purposes, people make nucs in summer for the following spring. Can you suggest how I could have done this differently, or might still do, if things have not gone past the point of no return?

One can dummy down a BB for a bursting nuc , no need to constrain them in a smaller BB if they can easily expand and prosper better. On doesn't have to give them the full eleven frames, dummy them to 8 frames if a 5 or 6f nuc.
There are yet 10 -12 weeks before they hunker down for winter and plenty of time for Q's to lay up nice brood for strong colonies.
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that, and might be able to do so when I consolidate colonies on to single brood. At the moment, with nucs almost full of brood and bees, I feel the situation is untenable and I'll have to give them room fast, one way or another.

I asked ChatGPT about my excess pollen frames question above and got the usual full (or fulsome) reply. It looks good and I guess it's mostly obvious but I'd forgotten about the option to freeze frames in plastic bags for when needed later.

I don't suggest you read this below, but this is what ChatGPT said:

When your honey bee colonies accumulate too much pollen, it can be beneficial to manage these frames to ensure the colony has enough space for brood rearing. Here are some strategies and uses for the pollen-laden frames:

Managing Excess Pollen Frames​

1. Rotate Frames Within the Hive:
    • Move pollen-heavy frames to the outer edges of the brood chamber. This can help create more central space for brood rearing while still keeping the pollen accessible to the bees.
  2. Add Another Brood Box:
    • If the colony is strong enough, consider adding another brood box. This can give the bees more space to lay brood and utilize the pollen as they expand.
  3. Store Pollen Frames for Later Use:
    • If you have extra pollen frames, you can store them for later use. Store these frames in a freezer to prevent the pollen from degrading or developing pests. You can reintroduce these frames to the hive during periods of pollen scarcity.

Uses for Excess Pollen Frames​

1. Boosting Weak Colonies:
    • Use the excess pollen frames to strengthen weaker colonies. Pollen is an essential protein source for brood rearing, and providing it to a weaker colony can help stimulate growth and health.
  2. Creating Nucleus Colonies (Nucs):
    • Pollen frames can be valuable when creating nucs or splits. The stored pollen helps ensure that the new colony has sufficient resources for brood rearing as it establishes itself.
  3. Feeding Swarms or New Packages:
    • When installing a new swarm or package of bees, giving them a frame of pollen can provide an excellent start. It supplies the necessary nutrients for the queen to begin laying eggs and for the colony to raise brood immediately.
  4. Feeding Back to the Original Colony:
    • During times when natural pollen is scarce (e.g., late winter or early spring), you can reintroduce the stored pollen frames back to the original colony to support early brood rearing.

Implementing the Changes​

• Assess the Hive: Regularly inspect the hive to monitor the pollen stores and brood patterns.
  • Rearrange Frames: Rotate and rearrange frames as needed to optimize space for brood rearing.
  • Freeze for Storage: Place excess pollen frames in a plastic bag and store them in the freezer.
  • Redistribute to Other Colonies: Identify weaker colonies or prepare nucs that can benefit from the pollen frames.
By carefully managing and utilizing excess pollen frames, you can maintain healthy and productive bee colonies throughout the season.

Well, I wanted to over-winter nucs, not make more full-size colonies. Are you saying that I no longer have that option? I know that, for a range of purposes, people make nucs in summer for the following spring. Can you suggest how I could have done this differently, or might still do, if things have not gone past the point of no return?

The bigger the colony, the better it goes over winter and the better is the spring build up. You have time left and the colony will grow bigger this summer. Take care of mites.

The bigger the colony, the better it goes over winter and the better is the spring build up. You have time left and the colony will grow bigger this summer. Take care of mites.
My question really is, can I keep these colonies in nuc boxes by removing frames of brood, or have I missed that boat and now have to put them in bigger boxes, possibly dummied down as suggested above?

My question really is, can I keep these colonies in nuc boxes by removing frames of brood, or have I missed that boat and now have to put them in bigger boxes, possibly dummied down as suggested above?

Use your brain. If the nuc is full, honey, brood, bees or something, give more space. What space, you must think it yourself.

The colony use to grow and it needs more boxes. What is the reason, that you want to keep the colony in the nuc?

It is easier to make the hive bigger in summer than in spring.

Use your brain. If the nuc is full, honey, brood, bees or something, give more space. What space, you must think it yourself.

The colony use to grow and it needs more boxes. What is the reason, that you want to keep the colony in the nuc?

It is easier to make the hive bigger in summer than in spring.
Thanks.

It's pointless storing pollen frames unless frozen, stored frames will turn to dust via the pollen mites actions over winter.
It is simple they are bursting one has to keep intervening to remove frames of brood/ pollen, pointless task when they are asking for a larger brood area cavity to expand in to.
Sooner or later this summer /autumn they will likely decide to swarm .

It's pointless storing pollen frames unless frozen, stored frames will turn to dust via the pollen mites actions over winter.
It is simple they are bursting one has to keep intervening to remove frames of brood/ pollen, pointless task when they are asking for a larger brood area cavity to expand in to.
Sooner or later this summer /autumn they will likely decide to swarm .
you don't really expect good advice from a robot do you? It's like expecting good advice from the BBKA.
In fact, why would you ask it in the first place

you don't really expect good advice from a robot do you?
In fact, why would you ask it in the first place
Well the robot did actually say to freeze the frames. It never mentioned storing without freezing.

Latest posts

Back