Confession time!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all, been pretty upset with myself for a few weeks now. Wasn’t sure whether to post this as been on Forum long enough to know you will get all answered warts and all. Into my coming up to three years this March as a bee keeper . Started with two hives firstvyear read everything build them up well, treated and took no honey, fed over winter depending on heftiness. Second full year many swarms in short time ended up with splits housing the swarms and six hives with some double brood some just single and being fed to build for winter. Treated again coming into this winter fed straight after removing 30 odd jars honey from last full year bees. Checked them three weeks ago and found x3 hives that were busy and getting fed had all died and looked like starvation. Devastated and guilty. Cracked open top and removed dry sugar that I had used in English feeder bought fondant and placed large block in remaining three hives. Knowing that my possible complacency or lack of not wanting to peek under board has caused them all to die when it’s my duty to manage them was a big blow. The three remaining are being checked hefted and making sure not hungry , surprised just how much and quickly they are using this up. I will feed early and more than enough in future.

It happens to the best of us Camey. Dust yourself down learn from it and don't repeat it next year.

As Hachi. No need to beat yourself up as long as you learn what you did wrong and move on.
I think its important if you have had many swarms to make sure your colonies are strong going into winter and if it means uniting some then that's what you do. Feed in a timely fashion, treat. It's all you can do

As Hachi and Dani.....You're not alone and It's all part of the very steep learning curve. You'll be fine....just stick at it and remember not to make the same mistake again.

Last edited:
As Hachi. No need to beat yourself up as long as you learn what you did wrong and move on.
I think its important if you have had many swarms to make sure your colonies are strong going into winter and if it means uniting some then that's what you do. Feed in a timely fashion, treat. It's all you can do
Your right and taking time to reflect I think My lack of experience allowed to many to swarm, then I thought I’d create all these extra hives from the swarms mind you just also thinking it was the purchased “ Bucky” bees that I split and caught that are still alive and the local Mongrel swarm I got that have all starved 🤔

Second that Hachi, it happens to all of us at 1 point or another. I lost 4 hives a few years back for the same reason, I was devastated.....I also lost a new bought in queen who flew out of her travelling cage when I pressed on the top a bit too hard by mistake....we won't tell anyone about this though 😉

You won't get any criticism from me... we learn by our mistakes ...probably wasn't the best idea to feed dry sugar in an Eng;ish feeder but ... no point in beating yourself up. Treat it all as a learning experience - bees die - sad though it is ... there will be more bees.

As a beginner there is no harm, weather permitting, in inspecting for stores 3rd week in September just to make sure that there is enough there until you get the hang of hefting. We all make mistakes one way or another with our bees we just have to learn from them and move on. Enjoy the new season.

Thank for the replies , must admit did expect to get some stick so quite good to see it can be a thing k lots of people have came across, and I’m guessing as hopefully my lesson learned not something that would be done twice 👍I’ll be making sure Checked early fed early and checked again a quick peek on a well chosen winter day is well worth it 👍

You won't get any criticism from me... we learn by our mistakes ...probably wasn't the best idea to feed dry sugar in an Eng;ish feeder but ... no point in beating yourself up. Treat it all as a learning experience - bees die - sad though it is ... there will be more bees.
there will be more bees... but nobody knows from whence they will come!

Hi all, been pretty upset with myself for a few weeks now. Wasn’t sure whether to post this as been on Forum long enough to know you will get all answered warts and all. Into my coming up to three years this March as a bee keeper . Started with two hives firstvyear read everything build them up well, treated and took no honey, fed over winter depending on heftiness. Second full year many swarms in short time ended up with splits housing the swarms and six hives with some double brood some just single and being fed to build for winter. Treated again coming into this winter fed straight after removing 30 odd jars honey from last full year bees. Checked them three weeks ago and found x3 hives that were busy and getting fed had all died and looked like starvation. Devastated and guilty. Cracked open top and removed dry sugar that I had used in English feeder bought fondant and placed large block in remaining three hives. Knowing that my possible complacency or lack of not wanting to peek under board has caused them all to die when it’s my duty to manage them was a big blow. The three remaining are being checked hefted and making sure not hungry , surprised just how much and quickly they are using this up. I will feed early and more than enough in future.
The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and don't repeat them. You need to reflect on what you did and how you could improve. I dont think I'd have relied on dry sugar as a feed rather use thick sugar syrup (or some keepers use fondant for late autumn feeding) although in some areas theres adequate late forage which the bees can utilise for stocking up pre winter.

Well ... confession time for me. I left one of my settling tanks on my decapping bench intending to let the full tank settle overnight ...

Rule No: 1 - check that the honey gate is properly tightened and not dripping.

Rule No: 2 - Even when you have obeyed Rule No: 1 - either stand the settlement tank on one of those nice deep greenhouse trays of which you have plenty or make sure there is a bucket underneath the honey gate.

I had forgotten how far a cupful of honey can spread given its freedom, the only saving grace - I do my extracting with some offcuts of vinyl flooring down on the floor so at least the spread was contained and manageable ...

Schoolboy error - could have been a lot worse than a cupful of honey !

Well ... confession time for me. I left one of my settling tanks on my decapping bench intending to let the full tank settle overnight ...

Rule No: 1 - check that the honey gate is properly tightened and not dripping.

Rule No: 2 - Even when you have obeyed Rule No: 1 - either stand the settlement tank on one of those nice deep greenhouse trays of which you have plenty or make sure there is a bucket underneath the honey gate.

I had forgotten how far a cupful of honey can spread given its freedom, the only saving grace - I do my extracting with some offcuts of vinyl flooring down on the floor so at least the spread was contained and manageable ...

Schoolboy error - could have been a lot worse than a cupful of honey !
Not only you Pargyle……..bucket needed another inch or two to fill it, tank was almost drained - I thought I’ll just let that seep though while I’m doing xyz. Three hours laters returned :rolleyes:
A wide paint scraper or something similar to scrape up and then wash down with detergent. Final spray off and dry, something I could have done without🤬

Attachments

• IMG_4087.jpeg
    IMG_4087.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Not only you Pargyle……..bucket needed another inch or two to fill it, tank was almost drained - I thought I’ll just let that seep though while I’m doing xyz. Three hours laters returned :rolleyes:
A wide paint scraper or something similar to scrape up and then wash down with detergent. Final spray off and dry, something I could have done without🤬
Twice this season I’ve had the meniscus on the top of a honey bucket stopping it from overflowing!
I break out in a cold sweat when I think of all the extra work a minute or so longer would have caused……..

But the bees never cease to amaze me. Came out of last winter with three dead hives out of four. a few swarms later and this year brought me in over 200 lbs of honey which is unbelievable for my area let alone one decent hive. One of the swarms along, after requeening with a bucky gave me over 100lbs. There is always a silver lining and I wont go down the road of all my mistakes in over 40 years, I could write a book!

Twice this season I’ve had the meniscus on the top of a honey bucket stopping it from overflowing!
I break out in a cold sweat when I think of all the extra work a minute or so longer would have caused……..

Yes .. I think in the scheme of things it's easy to forget the odd thing that might save you a lot of clearing up .. in my case it was half an hour but had the honey gate really leaked it could have been hours. These garden trays (I usually watch for when they are on offer for about £13 for two) are worth more than their weight in honey.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TrapMan-pl...&keywords=gravel+trays&qid=1725793049&sr=8-38

Not only useful as drip collectors, they are the perfect size to stand supers on, great for temporary roofs and a host of other things ... I won't forget to use them in the future.

Yes .. I think in the scheme of things it's easy to forget the odd thing that might save you a lot of clearing up .. in my case it was half an hour but had the honey gate really leaked it could have been hours. These garden trays (I usually watch for when they are on offer for about £13 for two) are worth more than their weight in honey.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TrapMan-pl...&keywords=gravel+trays&qid=1725793049&sr=8-38

Not only useful as drip collectors, they are the perfect size to stand supers on, great for temporary roofs and a host of other things ... I won't forget to use them in the future.
Yes I use them to sit supers in when I transport them in the van. Including everything you describe.

Back