Price of honey jars - up , up , up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure the ones I saw were 500g pots and looked pretty solid like soup pots. Not as good presentation as glass but he has a customer base buying in larger volume plastic pots by the look of the videos.
I've been looking at other sources of PLA and there are other sizes/styles available but they seem to degrade after about 12 months. Bang goes the 2 year best before date 🤣

There's frequent mention in this thread about sterilising honey jars. As far as I understand, microbiological sterility is not a legal requisite - but please correct me if I'm wrong.
BTW: does anyone use plastic jars - plenty advertised by googling?

The typical product in which the packaging costs more than the content.
Eh……..No it doesn’t
Great for those that get the customers to exchange the pots though…… I can just see the next thornes wax foundation exchange😂

Yep ... well thought out, totally hygienic, dispensing ... there's been one of the farms on the TV program - This Farming Life - who has installed one of those machines set up to sell their own pasteurised milk - pasteurised on the farm. £100K investment !
Our local farm milk supplier is on the edge of a tiny isolated village. I can't help but wonder how much CO2 is emitted by all the tons of metal being moved to and from the none-too local towns to collect a pint or two of special milk. Of course the same can be aid for lots of things

Our local farm milk supplier is on the edge of a tiny isolated village. I can't help but wonder how much CO2 is emitted by all the tons of metal being moved to and from the none-too local towns to collect a pint or two of special milk. Of course the same can be aid for lots of things
The more the better. After all, the more CO2 that's produced, the more nectar there is for honeybees to collect, the more yummy honey they produce.

the two dairies that supply it locally have dispeners remote from the farms - well, mostly. The Beynon's land is bordering on the M4 near the Llangennech/Llanelli/Hendy turnoff, the first dispenser they had was situated just off the slipway on the edge of two major conurbations so services people on their daily commute and is closer to most households than the supermarkets, the next one they put up is virtually in the middle of Ammanford, next to a popular independent coffee roaster/ coffee shop, opposite Lidl and next to the road which most people use to go shopping or on their commute, the third one they opened is slap bang in the middle of Swansea.
The other dairy farmer is more in the sticks but their dispenser is on the edge of a rural market town - Llandeilo, in general, I suppose both suppliers have actually managed to reduce the carbon footprint not increase it.

I had a chat with one of my outlets, ( a very niche health food shop in the middle of a small market town) the owner seemed very keen on the idea of a self serve honey system as they supply dry goods and detergents etc in bring your own packaging. I probably would not be worth my while as at present they only sell about a dozen jars a month and although sales may increase the set up would be significant.

Bottle Company South.

Ring up to check delivery costs but I ordered enough to come on a pallet last year as worked out better.

432 8oz hex with lids currently approx 37.5p each plus delivery.

384 8oz round with lids approx. 37.2p each

336 275ml 'hero' (approx. 12oz) round with lids approx. 37.11p each

336 12oz hex with lids approx. 42.6p each

Delivery for first unit in above quantities £32.50
Delivery if ordering multiples of above units £55.00 flat rate.
If you buy 1000 jars, £55.00 adds 5.5p a jar.

Prices as currently shown on their website.

It's a lot of jars but if you don't have many colonies yet have storage space and plan to keep bees a while or can club together with other local beekeepers it should work out cheaper.

https://www.bottlecompanysouth.co.uk/jam-jars-c-74.html
Other factor:
Per oz cost of the above, 12oz round hero ones make more profit when selling honey in them.

E.g. If I sell honey in 8oz at £5 or 12oz at £7.50, the 12oz round jars are about the same cost to me as the 8oz options so I'd make marginally more profit with the 12oz jars. Providing I sell as many as I would if they were hex.
Thanks for the link to this company which seems good value. I am interested in the 275ml hero jars and their capacity. Are they 12oz if filled? I know if you fill some above the bottom of the neck it can make quite a difference and I couldn’t work out if this would take the contents to 12oz in old money. I didn’t know if you’d got any and filled them so could advise. Thanks!

Thanks for the link to this company which seems good value. I am interested in the 275ml hero jars and their capacity. Are they 12oz if filled? I know if you fill some above the bottom of the neck it can make quite a difference and I couldn’t work out if this would take the contents to 12oz in old money. I didn’t know if you’d got any and filled them so could advise. Thanks!
Honey density is around 1.4g/ml so 275 is 385g. 12oz is 380g approximately.

Honey density is around 1.4g/ml so 275 is 385g. 12oz is 380g approximately.
Thank you. Maths has never been my strong subject and it frazzles my little head that some jars are sold in capacities measured in oz, some in ml, some in g. After I had posted the question I then realised it doesn’t really matter whether they are 12oz as long as what is on the label reflects what’s in the jar! DoH!

12oz is 380g
12oz is 340.2g, or 340 for our purposes.

jars are sold in capacities measured in oz, some in ml, some in g
Yes, not helpful; the way to establish a fill is to trial a make of jar and check the level.

Simplify the job by using and labelling in grammes, a legal label requirement. The olde worlde hangover of ounces is of receding meaning for younger consumers and not required by law, so can be omitted from your calculations and label.

Honey density varies seasonally but 340g is sufficient to fill to the base of a hex neck, and I've not had cause to add more to reach that level.

227g (8oz) is a different matter because that weight of honey will not reach the base of the neck. To achieve this I fill and label at 235g.

113g (4oz) sits even lower in the jar and needs 135g to fill to the base of the neck.

These weights are for Freeman & Harding hex jars and you will have to establish similar satisfactory visual weights for jars from other suppliers, or for round or square jars. I overfill by 2g to avoid doubt.

Aim for consistency when pricing honey and set a price per gramme, rather than by comparing your price with someone down the road. My current price is .0279/g which leads to £3.76/135g (rounded to £3.75) £6.55/235g and £9.49/340g (rounded to £9.50).

Yes, not helpful; the way to establish a fill is to trial a make of jar and check the level.

Simplify the job by using and labelling in grammes, a legal label requirement. The olde worlde hangover of ounces is of receding meaning for younger consumers and not required by law, so can be omitted from your calculations and label.

Honey density varies seasonally but 340g is sufficient to fill to the base of a hex neck, and I've not had cause to add more to reach that level.

227g (8oz) is a different matter because that weight of honey will not reach the base of the neck. To achieve this I fill and label at 235g.

113g (4oz) sits even lower in the jar and needs 135g to fill to the base of the neck.

These weights are for Freeman & Harding hex jars and you will have to establish similar satisfactory visual weights for jars from other suppliers, or for round or square jars. I overfill by 2g to avoid doubt.

Aim for consistency when pricing honey and set a price per gramme, rather than by comparing your price with someone down the road. My current price is .0279/g which leads to £3.76/135g (rounded to £3.75) £6.55/235g and £9.49/340g (rounded to £9.50).
That is so helpful, thanks. I’m 56 so use both imperial and metric so am generally confused about weights and measures (and even remember getting a sixpence for a tooth). When you look at it there are all sorts of sizes and weights being sold so all that really matters is that the jar says what is inside (in g) , whatever that may be, and that I get the cost right. Thanks so much 😁

My bad. After doing the math for the full volume weight, I confused it with the 340g and didn’t read what I wrote.

Latest posts

Back