Jar Price Inflation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So on a cold wet Sunday with the Beijing Winter Olympics on in the back ground, I've been having a slow day - a catch up with old Uni pals in Bristol last night with a number of alcoholic beverages consumed while we watched the rugby, I've not done much 'bee related' stuff today.

I ordered a back up stock of bulk jars and lids which arrived yesterday morning, prior to the suggested increase in jar prices....and having now done the sums the same order would cost me 26 % more if ordered today than last week.

I only checked this on 12oz jars and lids, but it's safe to assume the other jar sizes have also increased too. In effect adding almost 10p per jar (inc of vat).

Not only the jars but the lids increased too - in fact the lids increased by 44% and the jar by 18 % before vat. It's a massive price increase when you sit and take stock of the numbers.

I'd have thought the glass would have increased more due to the amount of gas used in the glass making industry but not so - clearly pressed metal is more expensive to produce than 12 months ago.

I was reading a piece on the oil price shocks of the 1970s last week and while one might be optimistic that prices would fall once energy prices return to normal (if ever), it would seem that the prices in the 1970s held and so one could expect the new prices we're seeing becoming the 'new normal'.

I don't know that 10p on a jar is something the majority of the beekeeping world will worry too much about, and neither the end consumer if just the jar price is added at the shelf edge. As long as the costs are passed on proportionately, then all is fair. I say this as I read reports of value spaghetti etc increasing by 40p+ per bag as an example which seems a lot !

I can see similar increases creeping in across the beekeeping supplies sector - wax, timber, anything manufactured will have to see increases too.

2022 will surely be remembered as the start of the end of 'budget' beekeeping.

KR

Somerford

at least our maths agree - was doing the same calculation myself a few days ago, like you, I got my order in before the increase, I wish I'd taken my friend's offer up of an extra storage shelf in her warehouse to allow me to double my order.

I think we can also agree that both our rugby teams weren't on top form yesterday either !

Yes space is the issue (and tying up working capital).

I can see a lot of hobbyists increasingly either use non-standard jars or re-use/return standard honey jars, although this has been debated before as to whether it's good practice or permissible in the food standards..

KR

S

Don't know about yours, but my lot were sh!te!!
Best part of the wales game was the anthem at the beginning, they were embarrassingly SH!!E

The price increase on jars & lids for us, equates to an £8500 increase on costs, way to much not to pass on Unfortunately.

Last edited:
Had my order in the basket last week then got distracted and meant to do it this weekend... Too late. Bummer.

26%.. Ehh.. Over here fertilizers went 300% up.. so..
I am in need of few tons of fertilizers.. but at this pricing .. nope..

I was reading a piece on the oil price shocks of the 1970s last week and while one might be optimistic that prices would fall once energy prices return to normal (if ever), it would seem that the prices in the 1970s held and so one could expect the new prices we're seeing becoming the 'new normal'.

I'm inclined to agree. I get the impression that the government and power generators might want to believe that prices will drop, but I can't see it happening myself.

I read reports of value spaghetti etc increasing by 40p+ per bag as an example which seems a lot

Well it doesn't grow on trees, you know...

James

Don't know about yours, but my lot were sh!te!!

It's a sorry state of affairs :( I know that quite a number of potential first selections for the national side are injured, but it doesn't suggest there's any real strength in depth in Welsh rugby at the moment.

I was discussing the weekend's games with my daughter earlier (she'd been to visit her boyfriend and they watched the France/Italy match, so the subject came up). I can't help feeling that the modern "system" (which I guess is driven by the need to make money) has really messed up the game in Wales. And quite possibly England too, in fact. I guess you can be a sport, or be entertainment, but it seems nigh on impossible to be both.

James

Everything is on ewechoob these days. For the benefit of those not as on the ball as Newbeeneil

(In fact it was broadcast ten years before I was born, so I've absolutely no idea how I know about it.)

James

I'd have thought the glass would have increased more due to the amount of gas used in the glass making industry but not so - clearly pressed metal is more expensive to produce than 12 months ago.
Yes I thought that as well. Strange.

Back