Increase

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I checked through my equipment. I'm looking to increase my polyhives but I need to make the right decision moving forwards. I currently have around 5 Paynes deep boxes. I noticed a paynes deep box has increased to £51. Shocking. I could use some advice on what poly brood boxes I should use moving forward with increase. Quality and price being the main factors. I'm currently on all national deeps (i have few wooden commercials too) but I would consider moving to Langstroth if it was more cost effective. I thought I'd ask as no doubt some of you have been in a similar situation where you felt you needed to abandon a hive type in the interest of making things more cost effective in future. Cheers, happy beekeeping

Hi Ely ….poly hives used to be a few pounds more than wooden seconds but frankly they’ve increased considerably. I’ve plenty of poly nucs and I think they provided more bang for your £. But even there they have increased considerably in price.
I think you should look at wood and perhaps look at ITLD new web site and bulk sales, or seconds equipment. There are benefits to poly but I don’t think there’s enough of an advantage to warrant cost.

Hi Ely ….poly hives used to be a few pounds more than wooden seconds but frankly they’ve increased considerably. I’ve plenty of poly nucs and I think they provided more bang for your £. But even there they have increased considerably in price.
I think you should look at wood and perhaps look at ITLD new web site and bulk sales, or seconds equipment. There are benefits to poly but I don’t think there’s enough of an advantage to warrant cost.
Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look at his website

Keep an eye on Ebay a maisy's poly hive with 2 x brood box and 2 x supers +floor and roof etc went for £40 last week. Yesterday I got a complete unopened Thornes14 x 12 grade 1 wrc national flat packed hive with 2 supers ,floor , roof, wire excluder frames and found etc for £46! They're £420 on the website ( I gave the guy an extra £40 as I felt guilty about it)

is it me I cant seem to find it... :(

Latest posts

Back