Where do you buy your seeds?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just had a look at the attachment, I haven't seen anything like that before, quite expensive to set up?
£60 for three pots & reservoir as per the link, about to order more. We're into our third year using them. May sound expensive but = ten jars of honey sold at the gate!

I buy most of my seeds from Franchi Seeds, Just Seeds and Chiltern Seeds. Found them to be far fresher than using Thompson and Morgan / et al

If you want to forget about mold on any plant, prepare the following solution:
In a liter of chlorine-free water, let 2 chopped garlic macerate for a day.
The next day, straining previously, you heat the water until it boils, add a spoon of cinnamon and the pieces of garlic again. Cook over low heat for 25 minutes, remove from heat and let cool.
Once cold, pour it into a garden dispenser and water the leaves of the plant with the solution.
I visited Dumfries House last year and it started absolutely lashing it down, we dived into a warm room off the garden and it was the gardeners rest room. The head gardener said it wasn’t open to the public, but because of the weather she let us stay for a while.

She showed me her greenhouses, absolutely full of tomatoes grown in small pots, chilli pepper, sweet pepper and cucumbers. I’ve followed her advice ever since, which is removing the leafs from the ground up once tomatoes have set, also with cucumbers, also the greenhouses at Dumfries House were far more ventilated than what I would of ever done, doors open, roof vents open and windows open, they keep them like this all summer. Totally changed the way I ventilate my greenhouse and it’s no where as hot as it was, but produces far more veg and fruit.

I’ve followed her advice ever since, which is removing the leafs from the ground up once tomatoes have set,
Was taught that as a nipper, I still remove all the leaves below the truss once the fruit have set, my greenhouse has an automatic opener on both skylights and the ground level louvres, and once the warm weather arrives the second louvre stays open until the autumn - as does the door.

The more fresh air the better, Outside in a warm sheltered spot and no mould, put them in a greenhouse and nearly always mould. The only drawback is there is less fruit outside so you need more plants
I grow mine on a shelf which is 1 meter off the ground -in the greenhouse with auto vents. No mould.

Not brilliant with tomatoes in the greenhouse either, I grow in pots but again they are pathetic, very little fruit!!! Usually buy the plants not grow from seed, reasonable when I buy them but become weak after I've had them for a month or two, what compost do you use?
They need to be in the ground really, all about roots getting a good start.
They will get pot bound.
Need a LOT of food and water

Ooooo they look interesting
Thanks
When I was growing loads of toms, back in the '78s/80s, I grew toms in large (12/14 inch diameter and 14 inch deep pots) that were stood ion top of bakers trays that had 4 inches plus of gravel in them.. Always watered the gravell and fed the pots... A lot cheaper than "Quadgrow"

When I was growing loads of toms, back in the '78s/80s, I grew toms in large (12/14 inch diameter and 14 inch deep pots) that were stood ion top of bakers trays that had 4 inches plus of gravel in them.. Always watered the gravell and fed the pots... A lot cheaper than "Quadgrow"
ring culture - very popular, my father's cousin always grew his toms that way

ring culture - very popular, my father's cousin always grew his toms that way
I grew cues using the same system. Those were the days when it was difficult to grow cues from seed, In those days I bought in "Chitted" cue seeds. expensive, but they always produced.

Do you buy feed for the toms or make your own?

Mine do well in big pots and I feed with concentrated organic seaweed feed. You only need a small splash per can & it lasts for ages. Can’t grow everything outside, it’s too flipping windy!

To start the plants off in the pots I give them a couple off feeds of concentrated liquid seaweed . Then I feed them with a mix of dissolved chicken manure pellets and the seaweed feed.. Using the chicken pellets reduces the cost of the fertilizer feed.

I don't use this method so I haven't a clue - I've always grown my tomatoes and cuces straight in the ground
Do you feed? I always thought you shouldn't give anything like Tomorite until the fruit appears?

Latest posts

Back