Where to buy imported Buckfast Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thibault

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
which European supplier would you recommend to buy F0 Buckfast Queen from (island mated or inseminated), I would like then to rear F1 queens from her to requeen all my colonies. I read on a post that B+ said he paid around £70 for island mated queens, everything I found is around €150. (Keld and other breeders in Danemark, Netherlands...). As well Millet was praising his newly bought Buckfast queen I think last year but can't find the post.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

You won't find a station/isolated queen for under a £100, at least for Buckfast.

Hi
which European supplier would you recommend to buy F0 Buckfast Queen from (island mated or inseminated), I would like then to rear F1 queens from her to requeen all my colonies. I read on a post that B+ said he paid around £70 for island mated queens, everything I found is around €150. (Keld and other breeders in Danemark, Netherlands...). As well Millet was praising his newly bought Buckfast queen I think last year but can't find the post.

We have a set price for members of BeeBreed. The current price is:
75 Euros for instrumentally inseminated queens
65 Euros for island mated queens

There are cheaper options (e.g. 55 euros for queens from the Croatian island of Drvenik Veli) but I only use II or island mated queens from good breeders. You will occasionally see queens advertised on the AGT site (https://kvp.toleranzzucht.de/ ) but these are usually where the breeder has just produced more than he needs.

We have a set price for members of BeeBreed. The current price is:
75 Euros for instrumentally inseminated queens
65 Euros for island mated queens

There are cheaper options (e.g. 55 euros for queens from the Croatian island of Drvenik Veli) but I only use II or island mated queens from good breeders. You will occasionally see queens advertised on the AGT site (https://kvp.toleranzzucht.de/ ) but these are usually where the breeder has just produced more than he needs.
Thank you for your answer, what would you recommend:
Is it possible to become a member of this association? If yes, should I go for II or island mated? Are the queen as good as other suppliers?

Or Should I simply buy from Keld or the like? Really my question was would you recommend a specific supplier. I don't mind paying £150 if I have to for a good queen.

These are for carnolian not buckfast. To be a member of Beebreed (B+ will correct me if I am wrong) you must be a registered breeder or test queens from registered breeders following Beebreed criteria.

Thank you for your answer, what would you recommend:
Is it possible to become a member of this association? If yes, should I go for II or island mated? Are the queen as good as other suppliers?

Or Should I simply buy from Keld or the like? Really my question was would you recommend a specific supplier. I don't mind paying £150 if I have to for a good queen.

Jef33 is correct. It's a breeders group. I'm a member of the Dutch group and work with carnica but there are other groups that work with other races. The link I gave you was for the AGT (German varroa tolerance group) - again, carnica rather than Buckfast.
The II and island mated are both very good queens. I wouldn't draw a distinction between them, except to say that some breeding options are only possible with II.
Being a member of a breeding group brings certain advantages. One of them is access to breeding material at a preferential rate. However, breeders can charge whatever they like to people outside of the group. It can be difficult to know who to buy queens from though. That is why I like the fact that information is freely available about a breeders stock in the Beebreed database. The Buckfast breeders will probably have the same sort of thing

They do not import bees.... just produce fine Devonshire hybrids in the way of Brother Adam of Buckfast Abbey RIP

Chons da

Really and additional breeder stock comes from????...............Anyway i was not suggesting the op buy an imported queen from Pete but ask if an ii or station mated 1 was available saving the need to import, you of all people should like that idea.

Really and additional breeder stock comes from????...............Anyway i was not suggesting the op buy an imported queen from Pete but ask if an ii or station mated 1 was available saving the need to import, you of all people should like that idea.
That's a good point

They do not import bees.... just produce fine Devonshire hybrids in the way of Brother Adam of Buckfast Abbey RIP

Chons da

Rubbish...ask HM where he got his French Amm's from.... :)

Try Buckfast Germany (Dr Stoffen) His queens are very good

Back