Where do you buy your seeds?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I've cleaned them out of wild flowers seeds, absolutely delighted.

Ahhh. I shall let my wife know. I'm sure The Range have a store in Taunton.

James
Also got carrots, lettuce, basil, cosmos, cornflowers,Busy Lizzie's and mesembryanthemums all under £1 each. Brilliant

This season, I will mostly be growin'.....Tomatoes, Kale, Collard greens, Strawberries, Runner Beans, Lettuce, Spinach, Carrots, Parsnips, Beetroot and Sprouts. Bugger the radishes

oh and spring onions/onion onions

This season, I will mostly be growin'.....Tomatoes, Kale, Collard greens, Strawberries, Runner Beans, Lettuce, Spinach, Carrots, Parsnips, Beetroot and Sprouts. Bugger the radishes

oh and spring onions/onion onions
I'm hopeless at growing beetroot, any tips?

I'm not too good either. Plenty of manure and don't let the seedlings dry out too much. Don't plant too late as they don't like it too hot. They prefer Spring. Can Start sowing them now. Each seed will produce a few seedlings which will need thinning

I'm not too good either. Plenty of manure and don't let the seedlings dry out too much. Don't plant too late as they don't like it too hot. They prefer Spring. Can Start sowing them now. Each seed will produce a few seedlings which will need thinning
Ok to grow in tubs?

Aldi are selling a pack of eight separate seed types for £1.19...

Ok to grow in tubs?
Depends how deep the tubs are. Should be ok if deep enough. They tend to send a root down and then inflate into a vegeable like a balloon. If it is too shallow, the root will sense that and it won't grow to a decent size. I think I'd want at least a foot and a half deep off the top of my head. Others may have had success a bit shallower

I wouldn't manure then heavily, sow them thinly (remember, one 'seed' throws out numerous seedlings) in rows rather than sow them in pots and transplant. when the are big and strong enough (couple of inches high) thin the to a couple of inches apart, then when they fill that space, remove every other root (they will give you 'baby' beets) and let the remaining ones grow to full size some people believe that sprinkling a bit of coarse salt in the beds later on improves the flavour.

I wouldn't manure then heavily, sow them thinly (remember, one 'seed' throws out numerous seedlings) in rows rather than sow them in pots and transplant. when the are big and strong enough (couple of inches high) thin the to a couple of inches apart, then when they fill that space, remove every other root (they will give you 'baby' beets) and let the remaining ones grow to full size some people believe that sprinkling a bit of coarse salt in the beds later on improves the flavour.

I use a completely different approach :D I sow four seeds to a cell in module trays, thin to leave four seedlings per cell when they're about an inch tall and then plant them out in their final positions once they're about two inches tall. I harvest the largest from each clump of four when I want them (by twisting the plant off the root) and leave the others to grow on.

I think they will grow very easily, but pests such as slugs and snails (and deer, around here) can mow a patch of seedlings down overnight and you'll be left with no evidence, believing they won't grow for you.

James

Start them off now in a cold greenhouse or cold frame in general compost. Keep soil moist. Plant them out in clumps once they are a couple of inches high with a good amount of leaves. Never have any problems doing it this way.

I use a completely different approach :D I sow four seeds to a cell in module trays, thin to leave four seedlings per cell when they're about an inch tall and then plant them out in their final positions once they're about two inches tall. I harvest the largest from each clump of four when I want them (by twisting the plant off the root) and leave the others to grow on.

I think they will grow very easily, but pests such as slugs and snails (and deer, around here) can mow a patch of seedlings down overnight and you'll be left with no evidence, believing they won't grow for you.

James
What Size module trays do you use ?

Latest posts

Back