Where do you buy your seeds?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nannysbees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Started buying seeds ready to sow,wow can't believe how the price has gone up. I did collect seeds from last year but usually buy a shed load of annual wildflower seeds. Last year the bulk bought from Wilko, 75p to £1 per packet. Can't find anything near that price. Where does everyone buy their seeds from?

We buy most of our seeds from DT Brown Seeds Bulky spring 2024 275-page catalogue including plot-planners, planting guides, record your crop yields etc. Only a few seeds @99p.
Thompson and Morgan on line have fairly frequent 48hour offers of seeds @ 99p.

We buy most of our seeds from DT Brown Seeds Bulky spring 2024 275-page catalogue including plot-planners, planting guides, record your crop yields etc. Only a few seeds @99p.
Thompson and Morgan on line have fairly frequent 48hour offers of seeds @ 99p.

Started buying seeds ready to sow,wow can't believe how the price has gone up. I did collect seeds from last year but usually buy a shed load of annual wildflower seeds. Last year the bulk bought from Wilko, 75p to £1 per packet. Can't find anything near that price. Where does everyone buy their seeds from?
Have a look at bargainseeds.com I can't yet vouch for viability but they sell small quantity seed packets at very keen prices. The postage is cheap too.

Premier Seeds seem to have a reasonable reputation and have in the past been quite cheap, but most of my vegetable seeds I try to buy from Real Seeds because they only stock open-pollinated varieties which means saving seed is often practical (and they even provide instructions on how to do it for each type of plant).

Perhaps it might help to buy seeds earlier in the Winter too, before most people are really thinking about the coming season. I try to get all my orders in by the first week of November, even if some stuff won't actually be delivered until late January/early February.

James

Dt brown offering free delivery this weekend if you put the right code in FREEJAN so that makes a difference but they have all gone up massively. Wouldn't mind if all the seeds grew but we seem to get more dud ones than we ever did.

You have relative expensive seeds.. While I was in France, we wanted to buy some seeds of veggies, but hold on there were 5-6 euros mostly one small hobby package.. No buying, over here we have hobby packages of veggies, flowers, spices for 0,53 euros. F1 usually cost bit more..
We have lot of herbs for tea growing wild and don't buy. At our property even wild european orchids grow ( planted by themselves)..

I have a packet of yellow peppers I bought...an impulse buy on top of something else at a garden centre so price not really noticed.....like you do.
£2.95........FIVE seeds :icon_204-2:
that's nothing - the cucumber seeds that I use became hard to get at one point, the only place I coud get them was Thomson and Morgan - two pounds a seed, plus postage. I found some on ebay for this year - Yorkshire seeds, £2.95 for ten including postage

For cheap seeds I use SeedMegastore - they sell small packets for 29p. Some always geminate and there's always more than you need. I buy them so I can try several different varieties. Also SeedParade - if you sign up they tell you when they are having one of their regular sales. And Lidl - been growing their watermelons for a few years and not diappointed.
I also use Real Seeds, SeaSpringSeeds for chillies, ChilternSeeds.

£14 which I didn't think was too bad, I'm going to check out the recommendations you have all given. Haven't bought the veg seeds yet, and still need more flowers

Attachments

• IMG-20240126-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20240126-WA0001.jpeg
    936.9 KB · Views: 0
Real Seed Company - Tomatoes (Ruby) to die for, Peas (Magnum Bonum) where you need support 6 foot high and a massive crop (like marrowfat but nice and sweet), no need to buy seeds again as they don't deal in hybrids, so save your own seeds. They also have some unusual and interesting stuff. Used them a few years now (sometimes lazy on the seed saving!) but have never been disappointed with them.

Latest posts

Back