Help the Aged

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His apiary may be a reservoir of disease. He might be very grateful for a gentle suggestion that you help him give up beekeeping.
In which case I would kill the bees by spraying soapy water and then have a bonfire.
Other beeks in the neighbourhood might be grateful too.

Probably break the the old fella's heart but I guess you could have him euthanised to save society the trouble.

Well if he wanted help with his bees he would have asked. He only wanted help with the swarm. It would be nice if you befriend him but as someone here said proceed slowly. Leave any authorities out of it for goodness sake.

!? Break his heart? Too late by then.

I was sarcastically responding to the suggestion that his bees should be killed because they're 'a nuisance' to the public and other beekeepers.

I'll endeavour to make my two posts a year clearer in future :rolleyes:

I was sarcastically responding to the suggestion that his bees should be killed because they're 'a nuisance' to the public and other beekeepers.

I'll endeavour to make my two posts a year clearer in future :rolleyes:

Well .. I got it even, if it went over the head of some ... I do wonder .... !

Probably break the the old fella's heart but I guess you could have him euthanised to save society the trouble.

He might be pleased to be relieved of the burden and guilt of his neglect. As for euthanasia: Whoa, I'm only a few months off age 80 myself........

Thanks all. Really good thoughts from everyone who has responded.

So, as many have said, this does feel like a bit of a cry for help. I intend, I think, just to build up a trusting relationship, and see if he responds to any gentle hints and suggestions.

Good for you! Accepting help can be hard. Your new acquaintance may not want to be a burden to others, may be reluctant to accept he isn't really coping and perhaps embarrassed that his bees have been neglected.

I think your approach is kindly and well judged. I hope it works out well!

Latest posts

Back