September Supersedure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Have x 4 Sealed Queen Cells… I believe the supersedure title is overused where the reality is swarm preparation… However, as we enter September, I imagine it is indeed a genuine Queen change … bit late, so fingers crossed but does it remain advisable to knock the surplus cells or simply let nature take its course?

I could possibly requeen with a surplus Q destined for other accommodation… Bee Keeping fatigue o_O is pushing towards leave them to it.

Have x 4 Sealed Queen Cells… I believe the supersedure title is overused where the reality is swarm preparation… However, as we enter September, I imagine it is indeed a genuine Queen change … bit late, so fingers crossed but does it remain advisable to knock the surplus cells or simply let nature take its course?

I could possibly requeen with a surplus Q destined for other accommodation… Bee Keeping fatigue o_O is pushing towards leave them to it.
One issue could be that you don't know really know what is in them. If you choose one, it might be a dud. If you saw them being constructed with nice grubs being formed inside, it would be better, but you probably didn't? Could you leave one and cut the others out and see if you can get them mated in a mini nucs?

Last edited:
One issue could be that you don't know really know what is in them. If you choose one, it might be a dud. If you saw them being constructed with nice grubs being formed inside, it would be better, but you probably didn't? Could you leave one and cut the others out and see if you can get them mated in a mini nucs?
Correct... on 18th had X'd loaded PC's.. and noted to move her... but circ's intervened and didnt. I cleaned out 15 apideas last evening as closing down the season... Drone being shown the door in some units... Varroa treatment tomorrow... from your note I think it best to knock x 3 and hope for best... if fails can combine with neighbour..although it is a massive (numbers) double brood and naidered super unit. Thank you for your comment and time... P

I had three with supersedure cells two had three good sized capped cells
The other two - I left them to it this was early august all three had laying queens and capped cells, brood pattern on all wasnt great so the above to me concermed they were superseding I’ve now been in since (yesterday)and one had the old queen with an unmarked queen the others have queens with no markings so assume the unmarked queens are new queens.

Drone being shown the door in some units
That may reduce the odds on good mating, but if it fails and you're not too bothered, a late unite is not much trouble.

Antipodes made a good point: sealed QC status is unknown, so better leave them to choose.

That may reduce the odds on good mating, but if it fails and you're not too bothered, a late unite is not much trouble.

Antipodes made a good point: sealed QC status is unknown, so better leave them to choose.
Curley GF and Eric, thanks for the advice.. In the circumstances will allow Bees decide. Have a number of Nucs for over wintering and one may come to rescue if necessary.
Was worried they might swarm with QC"s where bait hives protecting house roof had been removed.. hopefully, Sept will dampen that urge. 🙏 P

Latest posts

Back