Supersedure in a nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angry_Mob

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
30+
I requeened a nuc a couple of weeks ago with my original 2017 queen that I started with. She was in the hive that I started the year with and attempted to swarm twice; it has since been re-queened and I moved the old lady into a nuc.

I checked the nuc today as I wanted to see how it was getting on, I spotted two what I believe are supersedure cells on the face of the comb; one on either side of a frame. One was almost capped and I could see a white larvae and the other was a few days behind so I knocked the younger one down. There was some capped brood but not overly much; she has been very prolific.

Just with how the weather is; 17-18°C, rainy and cloudy mostly is there still time to raise this new queen? I reckon if she is capped today then about 7 days to she emerges and another 2 weeks to mate brings us to the start of September.

Also the fact that it is a nuc, there may not be enough royal jelly made, will the queen even be worth having?

Thoughts?

So she has a history of Queen cells in her colony? I would replace her with another Queen

"She was in the hive that I started the year with and attempted to swarm twice;"

Crush and replace...crap genetics for beekeeping.

Yes; and I suppose her offspring will have the same swarming tendencies... ?

Being somewhat sentimental seeing as she was the first Queen I have I hate the idea of nipping her myself.

if your not going to fork out for a new queen then let the bees get on with it and raise a new 1 you dont need to do the deed yourself....you may even find mother and daughter running along side for a period

if your not going to fork out for a new queen then let the bees get on with it and raise a new 1 you dont need to do the deed yourself....you may even find mother and daughter running along side for a period

:iagree:
Unless the nuc is bursting at the seams, they may not swarm and you can sort the genetics out next year.

Also the fact that it is a nuc, there may not be enough royal jelly made, will the queen even be worth having?

Thoughts?
Royal jelly production is more dependent on age of bees present than size of colony. If lots of young recently emerged bees should be fine.

I think I'll leave them to it and check back in September to see how they have gotten on, if unsuccessful I may just requeen it yet.

Back