Supersedure - 2 cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
A week or 2 ago I started thinking that the laying pattern of one of my queens wasn't great or particularly vigorous. Two days ago in opening it up to take a frame of stores for another nuc I was making up I noticed 2 large, but still open queen cells. My assumption is that the queen is being superseded. That was Monday. I'm guessing that they are possibly capped now, or failing that, tomorrow. The original 2022 queen is still present. The colony is reasonably big, but nothing amazing - they've dwindled somewhat over the course of the season. There is space for the queen to lay.

How would you recommend I move forward? Remove the queen & knock down 1 of the 2 cells? Leave well alone and let them sort themselves out?

Clip the queen to prevent a possible swarm loss (50/50 if they swarm) and at day 14 reduce to one QC, one can always harvest the second cell and make up a nuc.

Clip the queen to prevent a possible swarm loss (50/50 if they swarm) and at day 14 reduce to one QC, one can always harvest the second cell and make up a nuc.
Although nervous as I've never clipped wings before, I do like your solution. The possible swarming is what's bugging me, either thru the existing queen, or one of the 2 cells. Nice solution - thanks.

Yes, whether they will swarm or not is always a tricky thing to work out.

If I do an artificial swarm when I see QC’s, the hive where you put the existing Queen mightn’t come to anything, as she could be on her way out, laying-wise.

But then risk doing nothing, and you could get a swarm.

Yes, whether they will swarm or not is always a tricky thing to work out.

If I do an artificial swarm when I see QC’s, the hive where you put the existing Queen mightn’t come to anything, as she could be on her way out, laying-wise.

But then risk doing nothing, and you could get a swarm.
I'm possibly being lazy, but nucing the queen will result in loads of queen cells which I'll have to knock down. Right now life seems easy with just 2! Aside from the stress of the clipping, that's why hemo's solution above appeals!

I have exactly the same in one hive. Reduced to the nicest single queen cell and left them to it. I will risk a swarm!

nucing the queen
That was not what Hemo suggested, Richard.

If you wait until both QCs are sealed, you could remove one (with a leg of wax) and make up a 3f nuc with it: one of sealed brood (embed the QC into the comb) one of stores, one of pollen+whatever, two frames of comb or foundation.

Always a good plan to over-winter a spare nuc.

Alternatively just carry out an A/S , wait till the new queen is laying in the new hive then unite both halves after killing the old queen.
Both ways whether you clip or A/S one won't lose all the bees.

Latest posts

Back