Uniting during supersedure?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carm

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello,

Looking for some advice. I have a hive that has turned nasty that needs dealing with. My plan is to unite it with a weak colony with a good temperament.
The nasty colony is on 8+ 14x12 frames of brood + supers.
The weak colony has a 2023 queen that is underperforming and struggling to lay more than 3 frames. The bees clearly also aren't happy with her performance and I noticed a supersedure cell this week.

My question is, is it a bad idea to try and unite while the weak hive is superseding? Or should I wait a few weeks for the supersedure to complete and ensure the new queen is laying well, and put up the nasty bees.

Id like to reduce number of colonies anyway, so don't want to buy in a new queen.

An idea, and I'd love any experienced feedback (@jenkinsbrynmair).
If you have several supercedure cells you could transfer one (with protection) into the nasty hive, there's a reasonable chance of her emerging & superceding the nasty queen from what I've read. You would then have 2 queens to choose from if you want to unite later.
I must emphasise I have no experience of trying this!

If you have several supercedure cells
If you have several queen cells in the hive, chances are they are swarming not superseding.
As for chucking a random QC into a foul natured colony in the hope of them deciding to supersede for no real reason................................

If you have several queen cells in the hive, chances are they are swarming not superseding.
As for chucking a random QC into a foul natured colony in the hope of them deciding to supersede for no real reason................................
This is why I mentioned it, from the Dave Cushman site

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/inducedsupersedure.html
As I say I have no experience of it and JBM may well be right on the money.

Interesting idea. But will let someone else experiment and report back. I have just the one supersedure cell.

Latest posts

Back