Where do you buy your seeds?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they will grow very easily, but pests such as slugs and snails (and deer, around here) can mow a patch of seedlings down overnight and you'll be left with no evidence, believing they won't grow for you
slugs seldom venture across most of my garden, it may be the small amount of coal ash that has been mixed into it over the last century and a half, although I have often witnessed the twelve inches or so of any betroot sown nearest to the brick wall often vanishes and, on close examination has been shorn to the ground by slugs

I use a completely different approach :D I sow four seeds to a cell in module trays, thin to leave four seedlings per cell when they're about an inch tall and then plant them out in their final positions once they're about two inches tall. I harvest the largest from each clump of four when I want them (by twisting the plant off the root) and leave the others to grow on.

I think they will grow very easily, but pests such as slugs and snails (and deer, around here) can mow a patch of seedlings down overnight and you'll be left with no evidence, believing they won't grow for you.

James
I thought beetroot had to go straight into the ground?

I thought beetroot had to go straight into the ground?

No, they'll transplant quite happily. I had one a couple of years ago that got left until it was too big to want to eat. So I left it. By the time I took it to the compost it was almost as big as a rugby ball.

veg-plot-2022-029-rotated.jpg

James

No, they'll transplant quite happily. I had one a couple of years ago that got left until it was too big to want to eat. So I left it. By the time I took it to the compost it was almost as big as a rugby ball.

veg-plot-2022-029-rotated.jpg

James
Wow!!!! I'm going to try to do that, sow in trays and transplant out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back