Honey with ‘extras’

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A customer asked if I sold propolis. As a hobby beekeeper with limited time I don’t but I had some in my freezer and she was delighted to receive it. She crushes the propolis in a blender and adds it to the odd jar of honey she buys from me.

Made me think is there is experience out there of people who have marketed / produced honey with added propolis or pollen?

Whats your experience and the pros and cons , what’s the benefit in terms of added value / marketing messages and hard £ ?

I’d imagine pollen would affect the crystallisation of the honey. Pollen also contains yeasts so that also may have an affect on the honey in time. Honey with added pollen isn’t often seen for sale, i’d imagine there are good reasons for that.
Thanks I wondered about that re pollen, anyone with experience of propolis be good to hear from you

I did look into this a few years ago, but decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Adding anything to honey means its outside of the honey regulations in the UK, so it officially comes under food manufacturing legislation which is a lot more prescriptive to follow (i.e., more paperwork, testing and cost). Whilst honey has some pollen / propolis in it as a natural constituent, specifically adding this pushes the product into food regs. For the odd person asking after it, I'd be incline to give them propolis and let them do the mixing. Not sure most people (hobbyists) selling raw propolis or extracts in the UK fully understand their liability if something happens to any one consuming it. Is that likely? probably not, but I like to lead a quiet life and fly under the radar.

The bigger the holes in your strainer the more bits & pieces get through so nothing added & nothing taken away. I do usually fish out the legs & wings.

selling raw propolis or extracts in the UK fully understand their liability if something happens to any one consuming it
PLI covers products of the hive.

Propolis must be collected without fragments of wood, poly, wax, bee or paint, and checked almost forensically before packing. The harvesting screens are useful but not always successful, and it's a faff that I often forget to fit. There is a demand for it, though the GB public is only beginning to embrace the benefits. At market a wide range of products will increase interest and sales.

Total agree Eric. I think that creating a propolis extract overcomes some of the issues with contamination, but IIRC extracts are not covered under 'products of the hive' by the BBKA PIL as its a further manufacturing process. Hence my comment that I don't think hobbyists would be covered unless providing cleaned raw propolis. I cant find the BBKA PIL document to double check at this time, but am cynical of most insurances policies being written for the benefit of the insurance company rather than the policy holder :D

When I had a colony that proposed anything in sight, I'd scrape it off and make boiled sweets with a tablespoon of ground propolis added. They tasted excellent and were very popular - for coughs, sore throats etc. Can't remember how much I charged but it seemed worth it at the time.

Required a Food Hygiene certificate, which involved a conversation with a Trading standards officer. Then sold through the Country Market shop labelled with ingredients, date, address etc etc the same way I sold my honey. This was 20 years ago - did I do wrong?

Yes, sorry - I wasn't clear - I did the FHC online which was pretty easy, then the TS officer phoned - all he wanted to know was whether I was dealing with meat or milk - in that case he wd have had to check out the premises, but when he knew it was sugar, water and propolis, he said fine, carry on.

Total agree Eric. I think that creating a propolis extract overcomes some of the issues with contamination, but IIRC extracts are not covered under 'products of the hive' by the BBKA PIL as its a further manufacturing process. Hence my comment that I don't think hobbyists would be covered unless providing cleaned raw propolis. I cant find the BBKA PIL document to double check at this time, but am cynical of most insurances policies being written for the benefit of the insurance company rather than the policy holder :D
years ago the owner of an international insurance company told me to remember that insurance was legal theft

years ago the owner of an international insurance company told me to remember that insurance was legal theft

Oddly enough, today I received a letter from Hotpoint trying to panic me into buying extended
insurance for a cooker hood I fitted a few years back. "What will you do if your cooker hood breaks down?!" Well, firstly I'll buy myself a new hood with the money I've saved by not buying insurance from you money-grubbing gits. And secondly, I won't buy one of yours, because it should have lasted longer in the first place.

James

Latest posts

Back