Need help with honey soft set mixer 500 kg - 1000 kg

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LivetVidVattnet

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
We are currently acutely building a honey extracting line to handle about 3 tons per season. Earlier years we have been able to rent place at a line but this coming season that won't be possible due to AFB found in the region where the line is placed.

Most of our line is set. We have built a safe food processing unit and bought most of the machinery, but one important step is left - the honey mixing tank to soft set the honey for tapping (sorry if my english fails me here).

We need to prepare about 500 kg to 1000 kg at a time for bottling but as the expenses keep adding up we just can't afford a new tank for 6k EUR and the second hand market is hard. I've heard about others using a power drill with a custom propeller, is this something anyone here has had experience with handling something similar to our volumes? Is there other solutions? Grateful for any input!

I picked up a 200kg Abelo honey creamer for a good price 2nd hand last season. New they don’t cost €6k do they ??
I’d be careful about trying to make a home made one as there is more than an equal chance of drill fillings getting mixed in with the blend as parts wear….sounds good on paper but you also need a proper thermostatically controlled heater to help the crystallisation process for creaming honey

kr

S

Thanks for answering! Here in Sweden I've found one reseller offering a low-end Ukrainian brand, Konigin, that is priced at about 3k EUR new, comparable to Abelo with import taxes added. Carl Fritz is offering models at 600 kg and 1000 kg at 5k and 6.2k that is more in line what we would need for our purposes, but that is just too much money.

Thanks a lot for the input on using a drill, I hadn't considered the possibility of fillings contaminating the honey at all. So that option is out as well. Maybe we will have to reconsider our options and using a smaller volume creamer spread out over several days instead.

Again, thanks a lot!

I've been impressed with Konigin quality on extractors so if its the right price I wouldn't dismiss it!

I’d agree - have a steam wax separator that is wel made by Konigin

you could try a smaller Abelo…I guess though you have a big demand for creamed honey in Sweden ??

kr

S

Thanks for the input regarding Konigin, I've never heard about them before and as they are half the price compared to the German built alternatives they could very well be an option.

Yes the demand is huge and very few produce unheated creamed honey in volumes big enough to supply the food chains, so that is our business model for the coming years. But as with everything money sets the limits, the plan was to slowly build our line but now we are forced to build it all in six months to protect the hives.

I have a konigin line and tank.
It is fine and very well made. Not shiny and polished like some but it doesn't need to be.

Attachments

• 20200601_080717.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 34
Most jarring machines have a creaming function. You can pump the honey through the machine and the plastic gears inside cream it.
The honey can't set obviously or it won't pump.
I don't think the mixing motor on the settling tank will cream honey very well at all. If you're dealing with a honey that sets quickly then you have a task to do 1000kg at a time.
The settling tank I have is heated but you are trying to avoid heating the honey.

Most jarring machines have a creaming function. You can pump the honey through the machine and the plastic gears inside cream it.
The honey can't set obviously or it won't pump.
I don't think the mixing motor on the settling tank will cream honey very well at all. If you're dealing with a honey that sets quickly then you have a task to do 1000kg at a time.
The settling tank I have is heated but you are trying to avoid heating the honey.

Sorry I think my english causes some confusion here. I do have a heated settling/clearing tank, what I'm asking about here is a tank or other solution with rotor blades to create creamed honey by using seed crystals.

You can just buy a honey pump and decant from heated tank back into the same tank.

The movement through the pump impellers will grind the crystals to result in a smooth, set honey.

Thanks a lot for the input on using a drill, I hadn't considered the possibility of fillings contaminating the honey at all. So that option is out as well. Maybe we will have to reconsider our options and using a smaller volume creamer spread out over several days instead.t!
Filings? Is that the same as the potential for dust from the brushes?

Latest posts

Back