days of yore

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morrow Dear Reader.

I hope the sun has risen with you and your hay rick is rat free, your cow is managing to keep producing milk from her one remaining udder from the dried straw you've been feeding her over the 'driest summer since '76' and your well hasn't run dry just yet.

Why the evocation of days gone by ? Well it does seem to me that with every passing day we appear to be coming closer to calamity day, judgement day, call it what you will. Electricity being the item foremost on my mind, as I use the stuff to extract honey, warm wax, steam clean frames, warm honey to bottle it and do a lot of this by the light of a bulb. How in the name of all that's holy will an 'average' family of 4 be able to pay, from after tax income, a fuel bill of £3.5/£4.5/£5.5k over the coming year when they are used to paying (a fair price) £500-£750 a year for their energy needs.

Even if we decided to stop supporting the Ukrainians in the war (and I'm not supporting that for one minute) the sanctions would remain and the price of gas on the world market would remain stubbornly high as long as the Nord Stream pipeline remained closed, and other pipelines diverted to 'favourable' countries. And one doesn't just build an ACME unfolding nuclear power station like they do in the cartoons do they ??

I was talking to my father when he was helping on a honey stall at the weekend (helping is actually pushing it - he had accompanied my mother to the event so he and she could go on a river trip and he was merely resting his legs in a folding camping chair at the back of my stall) and he said that for the past 40 years - as long as he'd been married (actually its 56 years but who's counting) he and mum had said we needed an energy policy that didn't pander to the CND (at the time) and the non-nuclear brigade and we should have built two new reactors for every one coming to the end end of it's life using the British designed PWR reactors that were proven and safe. I have to say I couldn't agree more.

Then a chance conversation in the week with an elderly ex-engineer who had a good rant about the anti-fracking brigade saying that they (and the media) conveniently (or ignorantly) ignored the fact that north sea oil was largely extracted using the same technique after the initial surge of oil flowing from a new well. The fact you have to 'force' it from the ground using a method not unlike hydraulic fracturing, and has been done safely for 50+ years, has been completely overlooked.

Going back to my own energy use - having had more than my fair share of troubles extracting this season (two broken extractor speed controllers) and a bee shed that is increasingly not bee proof as the wood warps and flexes with age, resulting in many midnight oil burning sessions to extract the next batch of supers, my mind was cast back to the 'old days' when honey wasn't spun, it was cut into squares and put into oil cloth and packaged in little cardboard boxes (no polythene cases or windows then) or the entire crop was crushed and strained using, one presumes, muslin or sacking, and bottled in early glass bottles with cork lids, all during the day in a lean-to full of robbing bees (no electricity to work by night) and then a big fire and cauldron to boil down and melt the wax for candles and industry.

I sometimes wonder when people hark back to the 'good old days' whether they were 'as good' for beekeepers anyway. I know I'd rather have a proper extraction system that can spin a few supers at a time in a bee-free environment and have the ability to warm/strain honey as required into clean glass jars with secure lids or buckets for longer term storage. I certainly wouldn't want the faff of rendering just wild comb, even if it were from just a few hives (skeps) and wonder how some of these 'modern' natural beekeepers put up with the inevitable mess, and lets face it, waste of honey, in the processing of the comb.

I suppose the only benefit is they do it in the spring after their colony has died out and they render some honey from some dark combs left in the hives so the bees won't find the honey....

On the stall yesterday a 'know it all' 'the bbka says it isn't allowed' beekeeper who has 3 hives said I can't label my honeycomb (sections and cut comb) as 'Raw' or the chunk honey as 'Raw'. (even though neither product is strained or processed in the conventional way). I said I could do with it as I liked as it nicely surmised the state of the comb, and I didn't claim other run/set jarred honey was 'raw' as that had been through more filtering etc etc. Her lips pursed and I could tell she would be 'having conversations' with well known local beekeepers in her group as she name checked them. I couldn't give a scoobies...This year I've seen and heard more absolute codswallop and utter excrement being spouted by ever more 'experts' who've 'done all the exams' and then it transpires that they have 2 hives and one died last year and the other has swarmed and they have managed to take 19lb of honey off the total.

Experts.

Yeah right.

Yet all the BBKA can do is raise petitions and make political rumblings and align themselves with all sorts of organisations who aren't beekeepers and simply want the beekeeping shilling to fund their own subscription services. They don't understand the real merits of beekeeping to provide pollination services or management of colonies to provide a proper surplus of honey, let alone manage the health of their bees - I shook my head in disbelief when I saw their press release about thymol earlier in the year.

As for my own season - record honey crop and still 4 apiaries to clear which I need to do before the ivy starts (it's about to burst into flower about 4 weeks early) and plans afoot for next year. Beekeeping certainly helps take your mind off the problems of the world and oneself, now if only I could get a bee-proof extraction facility sorted this week !

KR

Somerford

An interesting little titbit from a newsletter I get was suggesting that as we live in a capitalist society, we can't fault the power producers when they sell their power to the highest payers, and the highest payers at the moment are France and Germany whose 'misguided' green policies have seen their conventional power generation systems deteriorate to the point of being close to non-viable. The point of the article was a simple way to lower UK household bills would be to stop the export of power across the European interconnectors and use it in the UK.
Is there a link to the newsletter available?

The gvts in the Western world are "directed" to theirs policies by money "men". The Bilderberg group are always visible in the background and many believe they manipulate the press and social media to support their end goals.... often to support their candidate in whatever political party they believe will achieve their aims.

TTIP is a prime example of their work. It agreed to sell the EU health care system to US health care providers... whats wrong with that? There is a clause that states if "any" gvts creates any policy or situation that reduces profits for the shareholders then that gvt "must" make up the shortfall in those profits. I believe we got out of TTIP when Brexit happened, but when people like Boris openly say that the idea of selling off the NHS is "Churchillian in its brilliance" then there is little hope for the NHS.

Liz truss co-wrote Brittania unchained with Raab, Kwarteng, Patel and Sidmore. In that book one of them said the UK needs to adopt the workers rights principals observed in China.... so sweatshops then. Liz keeps on stating we need to get rid of the EU laws imposed on us...why when there are virtually none. The laws they are talking about are workers rights and human rights. The Labour shortage caused by the loss of migrant labourers from across the EU has seen an excelleration of the removal of those protections by our gvt. 48hr limits to working weeks are to be removed. No fault dismissal is half way here, P&O showed that with the fire and rehire scandal.... shocking said the gvt, but what did they do beyond that?

The cost of living crisis is a perfect distraction for the further degradation of human rights across the board. Mainstream media won't cover it because their paymasters are members of the Bilderberg group. Is it a mere coincidence the Trump and Johnson are brothers from another mother? Absolutely not, they were chosen to test how the distraction idea including "fake news" could manipulate societies, and it was shown to work. I think if this was an episode of Dads Army, Fraser would be screaming "We are all doomed!"
A famous powerful man once said . I care not who sits on the throne..he who controls the money runs the show..

Good morrow Dear Reader.

I hope the sun has risen with you and your hay rick is rat free, your cow is managing to keep producing milk from her one remaining udder from the dried straw you've been feeding her over the 'driest summer since '76' and your well hasn't run dry just yet.

Why the evocation of days gone by ? Well it does seem to me that with every passing day we appear to be coming closer to calamity day, judgement day, call it what you will. Electricity being the item foremost on my mind, as I use the stuff to extract honey, warm wax, steam clean frames, warm honey to bottle it and do a lot of this by the light of a bulb. How in the name of all that's holy will an 'average' family of 4 be able to pay, from after tax income, a fuel bill of £3.5/£4.5/£5.5k over the coming year when they are used to paying (a fair price) £500-£750 a year for their energy needs.

Even if we decided to stop supporting the Ukrainians in the war (and I'm not supporting that for one minute) the sanctions would remain and the price of gas on the world market would remain stubbornly high as long as the Nord Stream pipeline remained closed, and other pipelines diverted to 'favourable' countries. And one doesn't just build an ACME unfolding nuclear power station like they do in the cartoons do they ??

I was talking to my father when he was helping on a honey stall at the weekend (helping is actually pushing it - he had accompanied my mother to the event so he and she could go on a river trip and he was merely resting his legs in a folding camping chair at the back of my stall) and he said that for the past 40 years - as long as he'd been married (actually its 56 years but who's counting) he and mum had said we needed an energy policy that didn't pander to the CND (at the time) and the non-nuclear brigade and we should have built two new reactors for every one coming to the end end of it's life using the British designed PWR reactors that were proven and safe. I have to say I couldn't agree more.

Then a chance conversation in the week with an elderly ex-engineer who had a good rant about the anti-fracking brigade saying that they (and the media) conveniently (or ignorantly) ignored the fact that north sea oil was largely extracted using the same technique after the initial surge of oil flowing from a new well. The fact you have to 'force' it from the ground using a method not unlike hydraulic fracturing, and has been done safely for 50+ years, has been completely overlooked.

Going back to my own energy use - having had more than my fair share of troubles extracting this season (two broken extractor speed controllers) and a bee shed that is increasingly not bee proof as the wood warps and flexes with age, resulting in many midnight oil burning sessions to extract the next batch of supers, my mind was cast back to the 'old days' when honey wasn't spun, it was cut into squares and put into oil cloth and packaged in little cardboard boxes (no polythene cases or windows then) or the entire crop was crushed and strained using, one presumes, muslin or sacking, and bottled in early glass bottles with cork lids, all during the day in a lean-to full of robbing bees (no electricity to work by night) and then a big fire and cauldron to boil down and melt the wax for candles and industry.

I sometimes wonder when people hark back to the 'good old days' whether they were 'as good' for beekeepers anyway. I know I'd rather have a proper extraction system that can spin a few supers at a time in a bee-free environment and have the ability to warm/strain honey as required into clean glass jars with secure lids or buckets for longer term storage. I certainly wouldn't want the faff of rendering just wild comb, even if it were from just a few hives (skeps) and wonder how some of these 'modern' natural beekeepers put up with the inevitable mess, and lets face it, waste of honey, in the processing of the comb.

I suppose the only benefit is they do it in the spring after their colony has died out and they render some honey from some dark combs left in the hives so the bees won't find the honey....

On the stall yesterday a 'know it all' 'the bbka says it isn't allowed' beekeeper who has 3 hives said I can't label my honeycomb (sections and cut comb) as 'Raw' or the chunk honey as 'Raw'. (even though neither product is strained or processed in the conventional way). I said I could do with it as I liked as it nicely surmised the state of the comb, and I didn't claim other run/set jarred honey was 'raw' as that had been through more filtering etc etc. Her lips pursed and I could tell she would be 'having conversations' with well known local beekeepers in her group as she name checked them. I couldn't give a scoobies...This year I've seen and heard more absolute codswallop and utter excrement being spouted by ever more 'experts' who've 'done all the exams' and then it transpires that they have 2 hives and one died last year and the other has swarmed and they have managed to take 19lb of honey off the total.

Experts.

Yeah right.

Yet all the BBKA can do is raise petitions and make political rumblings and align themselves with all sorts of organisations who aren't beekeepers and simply want the beekeeping shilling to fund their own subscription services. They don't understand the real merits of beekeeping to provide pollination services or management of colonies to provide a proper surplus of honey, let alone manage the health of their bees - I shook my head in disbelief when I saw their press release about thymol earlier in the year.

As for my own season - record honey crop and still 4 apiaries to clear which I need to do before the ivy starts (it's about to burst into flower about 4 weeks early) and plans afoot for next year. Beekeeping certainly helps take your mind off the problems of the world and oneself, now if only I could get a bee-proof extraction facility sorted this week !

KR
Raw honey as opposed to cooked?

Somerford

Good morrow Dear Reader.

Experts.

Yeah right.

KR

Somerford
The problem with fracking in the UK is we are a small island.
You would not want a well anywhere near you.The US is huge , with large amounts of 'empty ' space.
They have wells stretching from horizon to horizon.
We can't do that here.
In the US as soon as the well runs dry , they declare bankruptcy, pack up and skip town leaving the taxpayer to clean up the lake of toxic sludge and everything else left behind. George Osborne said don't worry if you go bankrupt , we will pick up the tab.
Generous tax breaks if they can be bothered to actually pay any, no guarantee that any will be sold to the UK.
They even said our energy bills will not go down at all.
It sells to the highest bidder, just like 'our' north sea oil and gas.
Osbornes father in law is a fracker.
Also how much is in the deposit and how much you can actually extract are two different things.
They never yield the full amount.
"It's the same the whole world over, ain't it a crying shame.
It's the rich wot gets the pleasure , it's the poor wot gets the blame."

"It's the same the whole world over, ain't it a crying shame.
It's the rich wot gets the pleasure , it's the poor wot gets the blame."
I prefer the first verse:
we were on the bridge at midnight swapping kisses 'neath the moon
she said "dear, I've never had it"
but she spoke too bleedin' soon!

Is that a slip of the fracking finger or did you mean to leave the apostrophe out of Osbournes?
It could have been a lot worse.
I don't waste time on the correct grammar or spelling for the current shower in power .
Please except my grovelling apology that it offended you !

There is a saying about asking a question of ten beekeepers and getting a dozen answers. Yes, I only have a couple of hives at present, and I don't pretend to have stopped learning about keeping bees. My local beekeeping association does not quite fit the image that is painted of the BBKA. I've never seen any petitions promoted locally, and we enjoy healthy discussion about practices. It nicknames itself as "the friendly beekeepers' association", and even when a member describes something that they do which others wouldn't want to do in their own apiary, there is respect - and certainly no pressure to clone practices or any derision. I value my association.

The good thing about beekeepingforum is exposure to similar discussions but on a wider scale. There are examples of practices about which I would be wary [e.g. a recent link to a video which had a clip of a young lady tending a hive wearing a minimal top and no veil], but isn't the point about looking through practices and appearance towards seeking principles. A good starting point for learning for me, at least.

This thread harked back to days of yore. We are often forced to accept "improvements" to our lives. Product labels and public liability insurance for the small and weak - whereas the rich and powerful [often multinational companies] do and bully as they please. We have no say in what generates our electricity really. Buying from the grid - any personal ethics are swamped. Are privately owned solar panels as "green" as they are advertised - especially when it comes to their manufacture and lack of recycling? Maybe, for some, there is an opportunity to engage minimally with those who seek to manipulate our lives to enhance their wealth and power. Small scale beekeeping can have a minimal adverse impact on the environment, and by working with the environment [especially our colonies] the balance should be beneficial. I have no experience of large apiaries, but do not doubt this balance is possible, too. Days of yore may have had more wild bee colonies, but maybe there are more hives and apiaries than then? We can do something!

Latest posts

Back