New here!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good day everyone! I have made a cursory view of this forum and I'm honoured and delighted to be a part of it. Thanks for accepting my request. I live in Jamaica, and have been a "curious beekeeper" for over 10 years, a hobby beekeeper for about 6 and somewhere between hobby and serious one for about 4 years. I have an apiary in the rural hills of one of our parishes. I have a label, extract and sell unadulterated honey as well as infused hone and a Honey Hot Pepper Sauce. I have a number of faithful customers and have gotten involved with a local beekeeping body that is very active. I look forward to learning and sharing what I can.
:welcome:

Up and down, in line with stop-go weather. Rural forage can be limiting if mono-cropped, suburbs give good variety for nine months.
Yes... I have come to realize that urban areas are (generally) better for bees because of the presence of multiple trees and other plants, while rural areas are not as beneficial because of mono crops.

Yes... I have come to realize that urban areas are (generally) better for bees because of the presence of multiple trees and other plants, while rural areas are not as beneficial because of mono crops.
Quite different in Australia. Most of the honey comes from trees and those trees are in forested areas. Look at Queensland for example and the huge variety of trees/honey listed. To get lots of honey and to keep the bees well fed with pollen, the beekeepers move the bees regularly in trucks and trailers, chasing the flows. Usually the trees flower at different times and sometimes in different years, and some areas are in drought whilst some have rain.
Emus (which are a huge flightless bird), also move around to find food according to the weather. Scientists believe they can smell the rain from about 25 ks away, and walk to where it has rained to find feed.

https://www.honeytraveler.com/honey-by-country-region/australia-honey/

Quite different in Australia. Most of the honey comes from trees and those trees are in forested areas. Look at Queensland for example and the huge variety of trees/honey listed. To get lots of honey and to keep the bees well fed with pollen, the beekeepers move the bees regularly in trucks and trailers, chasing the flows. Usually the trees flower at different times and sometimes in different years, and some areas are in drought whilst some have rain.
Emus (which are a huge flightless bird), also move around to find food according to the weather. Scientists believe they can smell the rain from about 25 ks away, and walk to where it has rained to find feed.

https://www.honeytraveler.com/honey-by-country-region/australia-honey/
OK! Thanks for this. quite interesting! I've always wondered about the possible challenge of moving trucks/trailers though. Wouldn't you need to get permission?

Latest posts

Back