Amm / Native Black Bee Discussion

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
For those interested in Amm / Native Black Bees. Tell us about your bees, queen rearing groups, successes and failures.
Please feel free to post your experiences, observations, or questions regarding the above.

Last edited:
Yes its a problem, infected colonies can be weak, have poor honey yields and become susceptible to the other pests and diseases. Chalkbrood occurs worldwide and can be serious in some warmer climates too; and the spores can remain viable on equipment and in soil for many years.
Yes, it occurs in other bees as well. I do have a colony that shows signs of chalk, I don't raise queens from her but in her defence, her colony was a vibrant double brood and they made some of the fattest cut comb I've had last year. They went into winter with no feeding and I'll wager they are one of the largest nests I find on first inspection. Just like her mother, who also showed signs of chalk brood and was superseded in 2021 at four years old.

Wonderful how strong they can be. I can recall my grandfather describing almost exactly the same thing about their vigour.

At some point, those Colonsay bees will come into contact with varroa when brought to the mainland, it will be interesting to hear their plans. I believe there are still some varroa free areas in remote parts of Scotland? Maybe try to establish some isolated apiaries in order to get to the point where some virgins raised at these apiaries can then be taken further afield and allowed to open mate. At least that way there is a gradual introduction.
I wish them every success.

No doubt there are, I know a couple, not a good idea. I'm talking about establishing a population with a means to 'breaking them in' gently. It's no good isolating them and sending out II queens, they still have no 'resistance' so they are bound to struggle.

No doubt there are, I know a couple, not a good idea. I'm talking about establishing a population with a means to 'breaking them in' gently. It's no good isolating them and sending out II queens, they still have no 'resistance' so they are bound to struggle.
I think "The Apiarist" has mentioned that since relocating, he has started up his Ardnamurchan beekeeping endeavour with bees from Colonsay.
Despite this being in a Varroa-free area on the West coast of Scotland, even then it is a long way from Colonsay.
There is a conundrum in that apart from Blenheim ;), most of the remote areas that will be Varroa-free will also be bee-free for good reason...there is no forage.

I think "The Apiarist" has mentioned that since relocating, he has started up his Ardnamurchan beekeeping endeavour with bees from Colonsay.
Despite this being in a Varroa-free area on the West coast of Scotland, even then it is a long way from Colonsay.
There is a conundrum in that apart from Blenheim ;), most of the remote areas that will be Varroa-free will also be bee-free for good reason...there is no forage.
Yes, I seem to remember Kate Aitchley having less than great queen mating success, as often as not, in Ardnamurchan.

Yes, I seem to remember Kate Aitchley having less than great queen mating success, as often as not, in Ardnamurchan.
Yes, I read about that properly organised project ending after about three years.
It's a beautiful part of Scotland with rugged, watery landscapes. There are wide areas of uncultivated land and amazing forests of ancient oaks along lengths of the coast. But there are no flowering crops that I can think of and relatively sparse and very seasonal wild, flowering plants for continuity.

Yes, I read about that properly organised project ending after about three years.
It's a beautiful part of Scotland with rugged, watery landscapes. There are wide areas of uncultivated land and amazing forests of ancient oaks along lengths of the coast. But there are no flowering crops that I can think of and relatively sparse and very seasonal wild, flowering plants for continuity.
If it was properly organised why didn’t they have some drone raising colonies pumping out drones to improve the matings?

If it was properly organised why didn’t they have some drone raising colonies pumping out drones to improve the matings?
The "properly organised" couldn't change the landscape and weather around them. Have you ever been to the Ardnamurchan Peninsula? It's simply not a good place for bees to thrive, although it does have the advantage of being very isolated and having some very moist valleys (glens). ;)

I plan to raise some queens from my best colonies. To try grafting for the first time. Not to expand hive numbers too much (except for nucs).
That sounds very exciting, you'll have to keep us in the loop with how it goes. Take a look at some videos by Cory Stevens, his approach to grafting and queen rearing is so sound and simple.

Last edited:
That sounds very exciting, you'll have to keep us in the loop with how it goes. Take a look at some videos by Cory Stevens, his approach to grafting and queen rearing is so sound and simple.

Last edited:

Thank you. I like his approach, I may well try that.

Checked the bees yesterday, all (bar one drone layer which was obviously a late supersedure as she was unmarked) off to a good start, some on 6 frames of brood already.

Attachments

• CF2FB9E7-E422-447B-A078-4FD0BDB6D87E.jpeg
    CF2FB9E7-E422-447B-A078-4FD0BDB6D87E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Thinking back (I'd have to wade through some ancient emails to be certain) I'm sure @Beebe is correct. I seem to remember Kate A having a series of exceptionally poor summers right at the start of her project. It may well be mentioned in the interview she did with Mr. Chandler on his barefoot beekeeper podcast; I may even try to listen later...

Edit: a couple decent talks by Willie Robson on Chandler's channel too.

Last edited:
Inspected today and found I had one drone layer, one a bit slower the rest on 7 frames and store bound. The rest (4) on 11frames already and drones already emerged. Feels like the season is now rapidly gathering pace.

I got round to checking my bees at home yesterday, absolutely thronging with bees, full of bees in every seam, 8 frames of brood, mostly capped, 2 sizeable patches of capped drone brood (I did spot a drone last week)3447FDD1-3CAB-42EC-AC26-2DA4EA30D33A.jpeg and they’ve started filling the supers I gave them back to clean up last week! I’ve 2 rape fields about to bloom about half a mile away! I’m thinking i’ll need to do some swarm control very soon.

Latest posts

Back