Amm / Native Black Bee Discussion

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
For those interested in Amm / Native Black Bees. Tell us about your bees, queen rearing groups, successes and failures.
Please feel free to post your experiences, observations, or questions regarding the above.

Last edited:
I’m making up 2 nucs for my local association apiary, i’ll make up 6 nucs and 4 apideas. i’ll keep the 6 nucs going alongside my hives in case I need them, I’ll either requeen some colonies later in the year with them or sell them next year. The apidea queens, i’m not sure yet, i’m sure there will be takers in my local associations. I have been wanting try queen rearing for ages, I took my module 7 in March and I know they’re not for everyone but I felt I learned a lot and wanted to put the knowledge into action. I am also keen to keep improving my bees by breeding from my best colonies. I enjoy lots of areas my beekeeping but I really enjoy this bit!
It's the best bit.
Full supers are nice but they don't compare with a gorgeous, new queen and laying pattern. Or even those beautiful queen cells, they are stunning. Well done.

Very pleased with this colony. The queen is a 2021 one, which I raised from a queen from Steve. She was amazing last year producing lovely calm bees in a double brood set up. Donated brood to other colonies and was also my main honey producer. She was a bit slow to get going, partly my fault as they were ivy honey bound coming into spring. But now they are blossoming again and I really pleased.

Attachments

• IMG_8229.jpeg
    IMG_8229.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
May has been busy with numerous colonies split, nucs made up and new queens reared. Checked on the status of a dozen nucs at the farm, two had another box added and the others will be in the same position next week. One little mating nuc has failed but I had a surplus cell emerge in the incubator this morning so I was able to pop home for her and give them a second chance. The other virgins have stocked mating nucs at my friend's new site, along with some of his own and some colonies prepared as donors for the batch of Amm queens expected soon. We are eagerly waiting to see how this site turns out, the bees at his other apiary gradually turned yellow and horrible and mating any queens there is a recipe for disaster. As it is, every colony except two are due for requeening.
On a brighter note, at the farm, the yellow line has gone from strength to strength. My landowner joined me for inspections last week and was very taken by one of his colonies with the bees chilling out on the combs and suggested she was a good one to hang on to. I just smiled and started pointing around the apiary. Grandmother, mother, sister, sister, daughter ... All very similar and a couple of virgins from this line have also gone to my friend's site. Bill was very pleased about that.
Currently dusting the extractor off ready for a very nice Hawthorn crop.

Hi Alan, I live in Sligo- where on the West coast are you? Great you are working with our native honeybee. I’m not sure I understand what you mean. ‘Treatment free hived “wild” colonies’. Are these caught swarms where the beekeeper thinks they came from a tree, building, compost bin etc.? I catch quite a lot of swarms - some of which have come from a roof that has had freeliving/wild honeybees occupying it for over 25 years.
NUIG came up last year to test the genetics of this colony and other colonies I had caught in swarm traps. Maybe your local association was supporting the project below?
https://www.universityofgalway.ie/s...sciplines/zoology/research/wildhoneybeestudy/
I am near Derrygonnelly - not on the coast. The term “wild” seems to be used to describe any colony not kept and managed by a beekeeper - for example a colony in a hollow tree, building etc. It does not mean a free-living native honey bee. Most of these colonies die out after a few years.
I would reckon the bees you describe as free-living in a roof for 25 years probably represent swarms that use the tree when the previous colony dies from severe varroa infestation after about three years.

I am near Derrygonnelly - not on the coast. The term “wild” seems to be used to describe any colony not kept and managed by a beekeeper - for example a colony in a hollow tree, building etc. It does not mean a free-living native honey bee. Most of these colonies die out after a few years.
I would reckon the bees you describe as free-living in a roof for 25 years probably represent swarms that use the tree when the previous colony dies from severe varroa infestation after about three years.
Better beekeeping country than out where I am! Although it’s some run of weather at the moment even by the sea.

There is a good bit of debate about the use of the term wild and free-living but as far as I’m aware they mean the same thing. Just the use of the term ‘wild’ triggers a negative response from some quarters. The word ‘feral’ also has negative connotations but in a Northern European context could be used to describe any hybridised colony or non-native subspecies that escapes an apiary and takes up residence in a tree or roof space.

Now that it has been shown by genetic sampling that there are indeed populations of Amm in Ireland that don’t show the influence of Dutch bees then that really opens the possibility that we have bees that have always been wild. It is however very difficult to prove this.

A number of the wild or freeliving colonies sampled by NUIG lived longer than 4 years so the theory that all ‘freeliving’ or ‘wild’ colonies die out due to varroa is incorrect. Some do some don’t. NUIG is now intensifying its level of monitoring as part of an ongoing study which I believe is some of the most important honeybee related scientific work being carried out in the world today.

Dr. Grace McCormacks various talks that can be found on YouTube are fascinating

Last edited:
Yes, I accessed the Grace McCormack presentation some time ago but was not convinced about the evidence for long-surviving free colonies. The genetic studies showing A.m.m. without Dutch influence, however, is convincing - and I respect the conservation work being done.
Over the years I have bought in an occasional local black bee add genetic diversity but have not yet had an A. m. m. “native” Q from the South-west. I plan to do so but despite my apiary being relatively remote it is certainly accessible to drones from other apiaries - a real pain for anyone trying to maintain a local bee population.
Good to communicate with you. Alan.

Yes, I accessed the Grace McCormack presentation some time ago but was not convinced about the evidence for long-surviving free colonies. The genetic studies showing A.m.m. without Dutch influence, however, is convincing - and I respect the conservation work being done.
Over the years I have bought in an occasional local black bee add genetic diversity but have not yet had an A. m. m. “native” Q from the South-west. I plan to do so but despite my apiary being relatively remote it is certainly accessible to drones from other apiaries - a real pain for anyone trying to maintain a local bee population.
Good to communicate with you. Alan.
My understanding is that NUIG as part of this next study will maintain genetic testing of a fairly large cohort of free living colonies on an annual basis - which should give an accurate account of survivability and hopefully answer that question once and for all.

I would say if you have bought ‘local’ black bees over the years your colonies must be a high percentage Amm. It’s a struggle where I am also with two individuals importing Buckfast queens. One in the north and one in the south of the county. The queen rearing groups organised by NIHBs do seem to be making an impact though. There are now 100s of beekeepers around the country working together to raise 1000’s of local Amm queens

My understanding is that NUIG as part of this next study will maintain genetic testing of a fairly large cohort of free living colonies on an annual basis - which should give an accurate account of survivability and hopefully answer that question once and for all.

I would say if you have bought ‘local’ black bees over the years your colonies must be a high percentage Amm. It’s a struggle where I am also with two individuals importing Buckfast queens. One in the north and one in the south of the county. The queen rearing groups organised by NIHBs do seem to be making an impact though. There are now 100s of beekeepers around the country working together to raise 1000’s of local Amm queens

Yes my bees probably do have a high proportion of A. m. m bee genetics - that has been my aim and I am supportive of the ambition and practice of introducing native honey bee genetics to large numbers of local bee keepers. I suppose dealing with Buckfast and other imports will continue to plaque us. As for the survivability of free living bees into the future - we will probably have to wait for evolution to take its course, a process which I will probably not be around to benefit from. Alan.

Hello,
For those interested in Amm / Native Black Bees. Tell us about your bees, queen rearing groups, successes and failures.
Please feel free to post your experiences, observations, or questions regarding the above.
I've tried a 4 Irish amm queens and though 3 swiftly died despite my v conservative introduction into nucs made of hopelessly queenless nurse bees, the 4th made it through the winter with no extra feed. Unfortunately she was also very prone to Chalkbrood and was superseded early in the season despite only buying her last year, her daughter was exactly the same even whilst still producing v black bees. It's my local association's passion to breed for amm and thoug I haven't bought any colonies for a few years, those are locally adapted but preferentially bred towards amm. I've since continued breeding from my best and culling my worst with disease resistance and temperament my main criteria and have found that to have an unexpectedly quick improvement in my bees, colour I disregard - they can be blue for all I care, so personally, I'm a little disenchanted with the notion of amm, from my purely anecdotal and small sample size of experience. I think being v discriminating in your choice of bees to breed from - I'm just a hobbyist but have 100 colonies so appreciate I'm relatively able to be picky - makes the biggest difference. I'm in sheep country in Northumberland and v lucky to be the only beekeeper or one of v few, within flying distance, so I practise drone flooding too.

I've tried a 4 Irish amm queens and though 3 swiftly died despite my v conservative introduction into nucs made of hopelessly queenless nurse bees, the 4th made it through the winter with no extra feed. Unfortunately she was also very prone to Chalkbrood and was superseded early in the season despite only buying her last year, her daughter was exactly the same even whilst still producing v black bees. It's my local association's passion to breed for amm and thoug I haven't bought any colonies for a few years, those are locally adapted but preferentially bred towards amm. I've since continued breeding from my best and culling my worst with disease resistance and temperament my main criteria and have found that to have an unexpectedly quick improvement in my bees, colour I disregard - they can be blue for all I care, so personally, I'm a little disenchanted with the notion of amm, from my purely anecdotal and small sample size of experience. I think being v discriminating in your choice of bees to breed from - I'm just a hobbyist but have 100 colonies so appreciate I'm relatively able to be picky - makes the biggest difference. I'm in sheep country in Northumberland and v lucky to be the only beekeeper or one of v few, within flying distance, so I practise drone flooding too.
Very interesting post Rory I’m at the start of my career breeding bees third year in now , I’m also running a little over 100 colony’s and trying to select from amm type bees and some of what you say I’m finding so true , thanks for this post👍.
Mark

Received a message last night, eggs found in the first batch of new queens at my friend's new site, he used cells and one of the virgins I produced. Nine days from introduction to eggs, there are more to follow and hopefully a similar success rate.
The virgin I introduced to a failed mating nuc has been released, I'll check her progress mid month.
Meanwhile, I have a load of Hawthorn honey to pull from the production hives.

Is it possible to source queens from Chain Bridge honey? I listened to Willie Robsons talk from the National Honey Show and if I understood correctly he said they were in partnership with a queen rearer raising Northumberland AMM. That has to be a good genetic base for anyone to start from or to improve their apiary

I haven't seen his most recent talk but I've met him a few times and heard him speak a lot and he said he sends breeders down to... Tim Collyer(?) I want to say, somewhere down south, maybe Shropshire or Hertfordshire or something. It was pre-Covid and pre my own memory being blitzed by ECT or I'd ordinarily remember. I don't think he and Northumberland Honey who are a couple from Barnsley based in my hometown coincidentally, have any kind of relationship and they'd be the obvious people in Northumberland if he was partnering with anyone but they're a lot more Buckfast based whilst Willie is in his late 70's and not into AI etc as far as I'm aware and from his two books. He doesn't sell bees nor buy them in for a great number of years so I think he's a bit more laissez-faire and let's nature take it's course to a greater extent, whilst as I say, sending some genetic material down to some gentleman who does the modern fiddly stuff. If he did work with another Northumbrian beekeeper then it'd likely be Ian Jobson or similar - an amateur master beekeeper based in Morpeth - still a good distance from Berwick where Willie is. I'm in the same, county but from mine to Willie's takes well over an hour, sometimes nearer two. He's a grand fella Willie, a real encyclopaedia of bee and country lore - keeps almost exclusively Smith hives as he can make them from 6 pieces of wood himself and has managed through his own canniness to create a machine that crushes the OSR crystals into so minute a size that it creates lovely creamed honey. I've watched him inspect many hives and he's a great hanlder of bees, does it bare-handed which obviously is a nuanced issue re disease transference but I guess if he's just treating each apiary as a single unit which I can largely understand, then it's alright. I know everyone's aware of drone drift but from my own tiny project a few years ago of marking drones, they disseminate themselves into EVERY hive to a surprising extent, even when I was expecting a not dissimilar trend - eg I cull drone brood in my poorer and average colonies but found that emerging drones marked from my good colonies were found in equal number in my poorer colonies once mature - nature likes its balance it seems

I haven't seen his most recent talk but I've met him a few times and heard him speak a lot and he said he sends breeders down to... Tim Collyer(?) I want to say, somewhere down south, maybe Shropshire or Hertfordshire or something. It was pre-Covid and pre my own memory being blitzed by ECT or I'd ordinarily remember. I don't think he and Northumberland Honey who are a couple from Barnsley based in my hometown coincidentally, have any kind of relationship and they'd be the obvious people in Northumberland if he was partnering with anyone but they're a lot more Buckfast based whilst Willie is in his late 70's and not into AI etc as far as I'm aware and from his two books. He doesn't sell bees nor buy them in for a great number of years so I think he's a bit more laissez-faire and let's nature take it's course to a greater extent, whilst as I say, sending some genetic material down to some gentleman who does the modern fiddly stuff. If he did work with another Northumbrian beekeeper then it'd likely be Ian Jobson or similar - an amateur master beekeeper based in Morpeth - still a good distance from Berwick where Willie is. I'm in the same, county but from mine to Willie's takes well over an hour, sometimes nearer two. He's a grand fella Willie, a real encyclopaedia of bee and country lore - keeps almost exclusively Smith hives as he can make them from 6 pieces of wood himself and has managed through his own canniness to create a machine that crushes the OSR crystals into so minute a size that it creates lovely creamed honey. I've watched him inspect many hives and he's a great hanlder of bees, does it bare-handed which obviously is a nuanced issue re disease transference but I guess if he's just treating each apiary as a single unit which I can largely understand, then it's alright. I know everyone's aware of drone drift but from my own tiny project a few years ago of marking drones, they disseminate themselves into EVERY hive to a surprising extent, even when I was expecting a not dissimilar trend - eg I cull drone brood in my poorer and average colonies but found that emerging drones marked from my good colonies were found in equal number in my poorer colonies once mature - nature likes its balance it seems
I think you mean Michael collier who lives down in Nash about 3 miles from me .
I’m on the look out for 6 more breeder queens .

I likely do! Thanks for the clarification, I'd written it down at the time too somewhere, but helpfully can't recall where. I'd a feeling when posting I'd got the first name wrong and was keanibg towards correcting to Nigel but now you mention it, that name chimes with my own recollection. Does Micheal sell bees? I'd be v keen to try some as Willie's have had little input of bought in genetics for over 50yrs and seem v thrifty and I guess a little like Jolanta queens, bree to build up strongly late on for the heather. Thanks so much for the invaluable correction, would never have got there by myself.

I likely do! Thanks for the clarification, I'd written it down at the time too somewhere, but helpfully can't recall where. I'd a feeling when posting I'd got the first name wrong and was keanibg towards correcting to Nigel but now you mention it, that name chimes with my own recollection. Does Micheal sell bees? I'd be v keen to try some as Willie's have had little input of bought in genetics for over 50yrs and seem v thrifty and I guess a little like Jolanta queens, bree to build up strongly late on for the heather. Thanks so much for the invaluable correction, would never have got there by myself.
I’m not sure , I know he does talks now and again at the association, I did hear he was breeding for someone in Scotland but that was a while back I have got his number somewhere and I have tried to contact him a while back asking if he would mentor me in queen rearing but I ended up learning on my own mainly I did have an Irish mentor who lived near clun but he’s passed away .
I’ll message you Rory 👍

I listened back to the talk and he says it’s Michael Collier - they have a partnership to breed Amm from Chain Bridge. Queen rearing takes place in Shropshire and the plan is to raise a lot more native queens. What prompted it was recent testing that showed Chain Bridge bees were 90% plus pure Amm. With no particular effort to select for that only choosing native looking bees that worked well in a tough environment.

I listened back to the talk and he says it’s Michael Collier - they have a partnership to breed Amm from Chain Bridge. Queen rearing takes place in Shropshire and the plan is to raise a lot more native queens. What prompted it was recent testing that showed Chain Bridge bees were 90% plus pure Amm. With no particular effort to select for that only choosing native looking bees that worked well in a tough environment.
Thanks for that perhaps I might try and contact him again thanks.

Willie says that his father and then initially he, bought in a load of Dutch, Belgian and particularly French bees I think- and he's mentioned that it's the French ones that gave been the basis for most of his amm traits, so, without Google give I'm not sure of the distinction between phenotype and halotype but I seem.to recall him suggesting that his 'amm' were genetically largely the same as the French black bee. Like I say though, ECT utterly wombled my memory so I could even have the roles of the Dutch and French bees conflated. He's a great raconteur if ever you get the chance- we see him with our local association a few times a year usually and should really organise another association trip to Chain Bridge for his reminiscences alone. I know a few years ago he experienced losses of between 1/3rd and 50% and drone virility is something he often bemoans with a theory that an awful lots of drones are infertile and those that aren't are negatively impacted by the pathogen load of one of the two types of DWV - a notion I'm sure David Evans has similarly espoused, and, utterly anecdotally, I've found my spring mated queens to be circa 75% less likely to turn drone layer the following spring compared to autumn matings, so I now try to get my breeding done early before the pathogen load vectored by varroa builds up too much

Latest posts

Back