Skeptics

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting this blog for those who are interested in skep beekeeping.

I do not keep bees in skeps and am quite happy with my Nationals but I get the impression there are plenty on here who might consider the former. From my perspective, if the advice of many on the forum about the more common moveable frame hives cannot sway you, I'd rather that there is some advice to maximise your chances of success and somewhere where questions can be asked without any slanging. The bees come first.

I would ask those who might want to discuss on this blog to consider this before responding to others, whatever your view. It is fine to challenge but do it constructively. If someone irks you, be the bigger person. Let's leave the faeces for cladding skeps with!

As a first post, and this is outside of my expertise so they may be irrelevant, I will suggest some potential issues and ask that those who have experience, ideas or relevant knowledge give pointers, even if not skep keepers. I probably won't be very involved but if it gets cantankerous I'll go running to the mods, so there.

• A straw skep does not offer much insulation or protection from the harsher weather. As such overwintering is a potential concern. Some form of shelter (e.g. Bee boles) is probably going to be useful.
  • If coating it in faeces, check with the farmer that the livestock it's from haven't been wormed recently. Many wormers have an insecticidal activity.
  • Inspections will be hard/impossible. How do skep keepers monitor for diseases and is it possible to mitigate the risk of swarming?

I would enjoy making skeps for swarm catching. But to keep 'traditional skep beekeeping alive' would involve killing bees to harvest wax and honey. A tradition I'd rather didn't exist, much like bull fighting. If left alone then it is the same as any other container, swarm factories that are a nuisance to neighbours if you have them. They are great for swarm catching though and I'd love to learn how to craft them for that purpose.

Just to clarify a few points -

- you don't need to kill the bees, you drum them out. This was always the case, but some skeppists, especially in Britain, just assumed you sulfured them because that was their local tradition, and swarms were so plentiful I guess they didn't care. Like Canadians routinely cyaniding their bees as they were too much trouble to overwinter, then restocking with cheap Californian packages, until their government stopped imports when varroa arrived in the USA in the 1980s. It's still mentioned in passing as a viable business strategy on a Canadian government website.

- You can inspect the combs by tipping the skep back and spreading the combs apart with your fingers. If suspicious you can, as already mentioned, cut combs out and repin with skewers.

- Even after clombing the skep with wattle & daub or whatever, it needs a bit of protection from the elements, such as a shelter of hazel twigs or a recess in a wall.

Skeppists were extremely sophisticated. They used supers, ekes, nadiring, feeding, merging, migratory beekeeping, mini nucs (! very cute) etc which were then adapted for framed hives. There was a range of skill levels amongst skeppists, and a variety of strategies ranging from one at the bottom of your garden you raided once a year, to intensively managed ones used on heaths where swarmy strains were deliberately selected for.

I would enjoy making skeps for swarm catching. But to keep 'traditional skep beekeeping alive' would involve killing bees to harvest wax and honey. A tradition I'd rather didn't exist, much like bull fighting. If left alone then it is the same as any other container, swarm factories that are a nuisance to neighbours if you have them. They are great for swarm catching though and I'd love to learn how to craft them for that purpose.
Made one this week with the help of a friend. Wouldn’t attempt to keep bees in one but good to keep old crafts alive. Mine was made with straw and rattan.

Attachments

• c4fe4025-1f48-4787-9479-389c49eb30e5.jpeg
    c4fe4025-1f48-4787-9479-389c49eb30e5.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 1
  • e2467b27-6587-434f-b708-d7b1c3aa5243.jpeg
    e2467b27-6587-434f-b708-d7b1c3aa5243.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 54d902d6-297b-4102-bc62-60ed635bf295.jpeg
    54d902d6-297b-4102-bc62-60ed635bf295.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 94d2ed0b-1d06-4fd6-a418-1a6bca903718.jpeg
    94d2ed0b-1d06-4fd6-a418-1a6bca903718.jpeg