Treated with Oxalic acid today.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many beeks are finding that some queens are being superceded even in the first year,whats that all about.
Any ideas?

In every place it is said, give only one trickling.

British have used Oa only 2-3 years and they have have "bad mating problems" and superdings 20 years.

Last edited:
Yes, give only one treatment,more treatments can harm the bee's,so what about queens that have 3 treatments,can it not harm them and they must ingest more oxalic than one bee, as they are fed by many.

oxalic will most likely kill a colony with nosema.

Last edited:
Some general observations:

Load cell scales are good now, no doubt about it; but the old balance type (beam) were, and still are, just as good.

If you needed to weigh out twice as much, or more, than you needed, you could halve it by balancing the two halves against each other, or dissolve and dilute. Simple balance check was to swap loads and check they still balanced.

I never needed to do that because I have a set of standard weights anyway and have always had access to analytical balances (0.1mg resolution). I used to use 6 decimal place balances where you had to wait, say 20 minutes or more, before taking readings because of temperature equalisation and in-cabinet draughts.

Reloading cartridges was another need for accuracy, but not like the assay balances. Several reproducible volumes metered out and weighed to find the average. Perfectly adequate methodology - once you knew the variation between each metered amount.

One can do better than some kitchen scales with just a strip of wood and some thread.
The technology has been used for thousands of years.

Finman is right - the recipes are out there to follow. KISS.

Regarding oxalic acid treatments: Hivemaker is right; it is well known there are down-sides to treatment. That is why not all my colonies get the treatment. A matter of balancing the risks.

Formic acid is good to combat tracheal mites as well as varroa; apiguard (not my favourite) has its place, Thymol, drone brood culling, etc. Better to use an array of weapons than just relying on one. A bit like the controversy over the swine flu jab.

The one thing to remember is that whatever you do, varroa will still be with us (for some time). Relying on one method of treatment will not work in every case. Monitoring mite levels is a very important part of the war, not this over-bearing assumption (imparted to new beeks?) that if treated with oxalic acid mites will not be a problem next season. They will.

I remember raising the question of oxalic acid treatment with the bee inspector (in open forum) about oxalic acid treatment and he shook his head in disgust (had to follow the Defra line I suppose). He now advocates it's use. Amazing how things change in 4 or 5 years.

Ymmv, but I find this discussion does not show the forum in the best light. These things have been aired over the internet so any times. Best practice has been developed. it would be better to direct new beeks to relevant papers than befuddle with minute detail of individuals' personal methods of preparation and application.

And BTW, distilled water is not necessary in most instances for solution of oxalic acid (this thread or another?). Most calcium salts can be removed by boiling the water and allowing the 'boiled out temporary hardness' to settle. Only permanent hardness presents a challenge in that respect. Softened water would be perfectly adequate. Those that make their sugar solution separately before mixing with oxalic solution might remember this also.

Regards, RAB

And BTW, distilled water is not necessary in most instances for solution of oxalic acid (this thread or another?). Most calcium salts can be removed by boiling the water and allowing the 'boiled out temporary hardness' to settle.

I have wondered your your water hardiness and how much hardines neutralize acid. We have in Helsinki dH 3 and I have read that somewhere in city pipes in Europe it may be dH 30. I have reared aquarium fishes and that is why I know about that.

Rainwater is softer. It has not so much chemicals as pipe water. OK, we know that rainwater is acid. I measured pH from roof water of my summer cottage. pH was 8! - How? It comes masses of ash from chimney and it makes the water alkalic.

I think Finman will be referring to the official bodies, not to some of us that have used it for a few years more than that.

Regards, RAB

Decided to administer the OA today. I noticed maybe 30-40 scattered dead bees in the snow and thought it didn't look too bad. After removing the mouse guard and entrance block I must have scraped out 2 big hand fulls more and my heart began to sink. I put the monitor tray in thinking that I was wasting my time and there would be nothing alive inside. I then removed the roof and saw through the clear plastic container that some fondant had gone. I lifted the container and found that it had slumped through the crown board. There was a pool of liquid on the crown booard which I presume had seperated from the fondant. I lifted the crown board and immeadiately saw a couple of bees on the frame tops. On closer inspection the fondant has hardly been touched and the bees were fairly low on the frames. There was 7 seams that I treated so it didn't look too bad after all.:)

RAB do you count you mite drops ?

Admin,

No, most of the time I just estimate them. Look for next estimate(s) to find a trend. Only if they are marginally good might I actually count.

Marginal means 'act now', if not previously, even if it is only doing another mite-drop collection. I look for changes, especially after treatment, whatever it might be - oxalic, drone culling, etc.

What I always strive to do is act well before deformed bees start emerging in any number. I probably look for varroa on worker bees before the queen (at inspections), unless I particularly want to find her.

I don't like the possible side effects of oxalic and apiguard, so monitoring is an ongoing thing amonst the colonies. Not having too many colonies - so 'must blanket treat' doesn't apply to me - I know which are likely to need attention and just generally keep an eye on all of them.

Monitor is a better word than count. I count the mites on a chunk of culled drone brood but note it down and proceed accordingly. I compare 'mite' observations with the symptoms I see at inspections. I decide whether to remove all the capped drone brood, or leave it, on my observations at inspections. Etc ,etc,etc.

Does that clarify, explain, or muddy the waters?

Regards, RAB

Hi all, given that the temperatures are forecast to remain low for the next 10 days or so here in the north-west, is it ok to treat with oxalic acid or do the bees need some warmer weather to go on cleansing flights after treatment?
Cheers John.

ainsie treat as soon as you can but remember to warm the oxalic up to about 25 degree so the bees dont get too much of a shock.:cheers2:

I treated 8 hives the other day. Still day with sun. Some bees stayed where they were, others were not so happy and flew. 2 colonies were a bit weak - not the ones I was expecting, and one could not be seen as they were'n at the top bars - they are still there judging by the removed cappings on the varroa tray so I treated anyway. One didn;t have as much stores I had expected so was given some candy I had prepared earlier.
I had warmed up the syrup first so it was not too hot, not too cold.

I then got an ear-bashing as the kitchen was sticky!

Adam

Calm, sunny and +12C so all mine were OA'd yesterday. In the double brood Nationals the bees were in the bottom box (verified by torch) which surprised me. The Commercials were all ok to strong and the nuc had bees covering ALL frames:).
Gave them all a 1.5kg slab of homemade fondant even though the hive weights are close to or more than they were at the same time last year.
:cheers2: Mike

+12'c??? I wish it was here, 0'c all day and snow, I need a break in the weather to get all mine done...

JD

PS Is it easier to disolve OA crystals before mixing in sugar or just as easy after you have a syrup mixture?

Hi Jezd,
Put sugar and water together, heat until all sugar is dissolved, then add OA - it dissolves in seconds. Allow to cool to about 25C then treat:)
:cheers2: Mike

The temperature here crept above freezing for the first time for many days, so I took the chance and OAed mine too. They were very variable in strength, not all as I would have predicted. However last year strength at this time didn't correlate well with strength in spring so I'll wait to see what happens.

G.

Above zero,Flip flops and shorts then Gavin?
Thats a Scottish heatwave you are having,I hope you used sunblock on your skin..

Did you find the bees to be a bit more feisty than expected,a few of us have.

Latest posts

Back