Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Arfermo 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Enough
The VMD is a UK Governement department, they'll still be here after brexit, this is another case of our civil servants gold plating every regulation, and it will still be a nice little earner for companies in the loop next year
Pesticides Safety Division (PSD) in MAFF is also in the mix - or used to be when I was there? As for vaping, never used anything else for the last 12 years but never multiple doses.

victor meldrew 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just got different names but doing same jobs, albeit probably with some sort of partnership outside of EU now I hope.
The dynamics are sure to shift . This we shall have to keep an eye on .

Monbees 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
I'll let you know when I inspect next Spring. All colonies had strips added this Spring and again after harvest, my friend is trying them but he is doing a trickle as well in the next few days. He was happy with his observations, he usually uses MAQS. I'm not treating mine this Winter, maybe next year will be different.
I know that only one trickle per season is recommended, so would OAstrips also added in the spring, not have a negative effect? Or does the OAin each system work differently?

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
they work differently - trouble with trickle is it's syrup, so the bees ingest a lot of it

Nige.Coll 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
some + a few more
It'a all APHA now isn't it.

All P!ss and Hot Air as the employees call it.

madasafish 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
8x Langstroth, a few Lang nucs,1x TBH, and about 17 mating mini nucs
But not the beekeeper?
I have been sublimating OA for 5 years with DIY equipment (and proper PPE and care).
One has to be a total bumbling idiot to do damage to yourself when properly equipped and using a modicum of common sense.

polymath 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I would add the work done by LASI is based on two treatment, 5 - 10 days apart, I can share the email i have from Ratnieks with the group on this if of interest.

ChrisS 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
I have been sublimating OA for 5 years with DIY equipment (and proper PPE and care).
One has to be a total bumbling idiot to do damage to yourself when properly equipped and using a modicum of common sense.
Spot on, there's far too much nonsense spouted about the dangers of OA. Fact: 1lb of carrots contains about as much OA as 1 hive vape. Yes the vapour (or sublimate if you want to be pedantic) will make you cough big time. But you can see it in the air so just hold your breath or pick a windy day.

You can of course dress yourself up in fancy respirators and arm-length rubber gloves. You can also buy stupidly expensive VMD approved OA which contains sugar and gums up your vaper. Or as madasafish rightly says, you can use common sense. works for me!

Apple 

Banned
Reaction score
Number of Hives
### you can use common sense. works for me

Why is it called common sense... when amongst some beekeeperers it seem to be a rarity???

Latest posts