Apibioxal error ....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spadger

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
OK folks, made a schoolboy error yesterday. Attempted to make up a 3.2% apibioxal solution today and should have added 20g to 395ml 1:1 syrup.
In a hurry, I did 395ml water and 395g sugar .... which is more like 650ml syrup! It did cross my mind to use just 395ml of the resulting syrup solution but I had added the apibioxal powder before it crossed my mind again!
I reckon that’s just under 2%.
They all got the correct volume of syrup, just a reduced dose of the crucial oxalic acid. The monitoring boards are in, I await results.

So my question is, will this still be effective (probably not) and should I repeat the treatment at the correct concentration?

Repeat treatment would mean opening the hives up again and more disruption but trickling is a very quick and minimally disruptive process.
I know it says mix it at 4.2% on the packet, but I believe 3.2% is the traditional UK concentration.
Embarrassed to say that until recently I used to teach chemistry! What a plonker! I shan’t try to defend myself, I was just rushing.

I would repeat treatment as the danger from varroa unchecked, could be worse than the effects of the minimal disruption you cite.
On the other hand, I wouldn’t dribble at all, but favour vaping to avoid any disruption.

I would repeat treatment as the danger from varroa unchecked, could be worse than the effects of the minimal disruption you cite.
On the other hand, I wouldn’t dribble at all, but favour vaping to avoid any disruption.
Sadly not got the kit to do so ... but considering it as an option!

repeated treatment of OA trickle is not advisable - it can have a serious impact of bee and especially queen bee mortality
AND... Trickling OA is just so old school .... for the investment of a few jars of honey you can be equipped to safely administer OA by sublimation - just so much kinder on the bees.

Trickling oxalic acid penetrates the bees keratin and in turn can be detected in bees internal organs including digestive tract, rectum and heamolymph, this causes the higher mortality of workers vs sublimation, which doesn’t penetrate keratin. Even at 2% it can penetrate keratin. Why the packet says only use once in winter. Definitely would switch to sublimation. Much better for the bees.

Trickling OA changes the bees ph.
The only thing Ratneiks said that was worth listening to was that trickling should cease.

Oooooooh!
Acetic acid!!:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:
And sodium chloride... get those two in your eyes and you will know about it ... dangerous stuff ... .mind you.. not as dangerous as the food from an infamous local Chinese and fish and chips takeaway we have in the area ... if it was fish !

Don' forget monosodium glutimate and worst of the lot Aspertame!

I did wonder why Apibioxall was licenced as a permitted bee medicine when it was first put on the market... as patently formulated as a powder to be mixed with water and poured over the bees?
|No chemist in their right mind would have added glucose if it was intended for sublimation... Shirley??

Nadelik lowen

Don' forget monosodium glutimate and worst of the lot Aspertame!

I did wonder why Apibioxall was licenced as a permitted bee medicine when it was first put on the market... as patently formulated as a powder to be mixed with water and poured over the bees?
|No chemist in their right mind would have added glucose if it was intended for sublimation... Shirley??

Nadelik lowen

Yes Shirley... the cynic in me suggests that it was just opportunist marketing ... it was never intended to be sublimated ... if I win the lottery I'm going to register neat OA ... and then make a fortune selling it as magic fairy dust !

Latest posts

Back