Is it safe to use Oxalic acid on small colonies?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it’s safe to open hives in the cold to trickle! Your hives are probably still broodless atm so a good time to trickle.

When its best to use OA trickle? I read somewhere it is most effective when bees clustered up. That would only happen when its cold enough. Is it safe to open the hive when it's that cold?
No, it's not a good idea to trickle when the bees are tightly clustered, a loose cluster is fine. The weather we're having at the moment is ideal for trickling.

Yes it’s safe to open hives in the cold to trickle! Your hives are probably still broodless atm so a good time to trickle.

you can say that again

When its best to use OA trickle? I read somewhere it is most effective when bees clustered up. That would only happen when its cold enough. Is it safe to open the hive when it's that cold?

Clustered means that they do not have brood.
A small colony has as well mites. Uou can trickle for example swarms and kill mites.

The inventor of prof Nanetti wrote in hid research that +18C is most effective temperature to trickling.

Trickle treated today with Oxalic acid. How long shall I wait and than check the inspection board? Shall I check daily for the next 4 days or so? Thanks

Checked the inspection board about two days after OA trickle and there were loads of mites on it. Wouldn't it be a good idea to treat again soon? Or is that too much OA for the bees to handle?

Checked the inspection board about two days after OA trickle and there were loads of mites on it. Wouldn't it be a good idea to treat again soon? Or is that too much OA for the bees to handle?
Multiple trickles of OA - not recommended. With any luck you have reduced the mite load considerably. Leave them be until it gets to nearer spring and then do a sugar roll to see what the mite load is pre-season. Lots of options for treatment then if they need it.

Multiple trickling tends to kill Queens.

Latest posts

Back