Two year anniversary today!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My wife and I got our first bees two years ago today, after doing a winter course and starting the practical course at a local BKA. The hive was given to us and was old and needed a thorough clean up. The bees were from a swarm that had settled in a hollow ornamental elephant that someone had in their garden. Was found by a fellow beginner who helped us literally shake them into the hive. Still remember clearly making up the frames the next day to put in. That first year was the easiest as the hive built up well with feeding and provided us with honey to harvest in August. Should have treated with OA when originally hived as they did have noticeable DWV by late summer. Came through winter fine after autumn and winter treatment, did a split in spring, acquired another swarm (which we did treat) and then there were 3 hives. Still relatively stress free last year as we had three hives building up nicely and no issues with swarming. Small but nice honey harvest, treated with apivar, fed them all in the autumn using fondant until they all had between 30-40lbs of stores. Uneventful winter, monitored stores by weighing and no additional feeding required. All 3 hives came into spring in very good health and size. Had plans to demaaree at least 2 of the hives but then just over a month ago - Boom. The weather had been mixed but good enough for foraging on the hundreds of early blossoming cherry trees within foraging distance. Looking at a local analysis of trees, prunus is the largest single type in the borough. Maybe should have Demaree'd despite the weather being 'too cold' at times. Should not have missed a weeks inspection due to the weather. Probably should have added a dummied down second brood box to two of the hives at the start of March rather than a couple of weeks later. Anyway, two swarms - collected both, gave one away and nuc'd the other. A rather stressful episode but no neighbours have been harmed or unduly alarmed. No casts though - managed to get something right. Did an AS on the third hive and now there are 5. Got CBPV in the AS, not so much in the parent and very limited in the other 3. Biggest worry going forward now. One hive that swarmed requeened quickly, two others still no signs yet and found the queen that was in the parent hive of the split dead outside after an inspection (yep - could well have accidentally killed her). Here we are now then. Need to get back down to 3 hives once the overall queen situation becomes clearer. Lots of lessons learned but fully expect to make mistakes going forward but hopefully not the same ones. Most important skill that I need to develop further is reading the bees and the state of the hive relative to the weather and amount of forage and then being able to act appropriately. Think local!
And thanks for all advice on here.

Oh that everyone was like you!!!! Including me! Still making the same mistakes after 40 years, out it down to old age! Well done and a nice read of your update!

My wife and I got our first bees two years ago today, after doing a winter course and starting the practical course at a local BKA. The hive was given to us and was old and needed a thorough clean up. The bees were from a swarm that had settled in a hollow ornamental elephant that someone had in their garden. Was found by a fellow beginner who helped us literally shake them into the hive. Still remember clearly making up the frames the next day to put in. That first year was the easiest as the hive built up well with feeding and provided us with honey to harvest in August. Should have treated with OA when originally hived as they did have noticeable DWV by late summer. Came through winter fine after autumn and winter treatment, did a split in spring, acquired another swarm (which we did treat) and then there were 3 hives. Still relatively stress free last year as we had three hives building up nicely and no issues with swarming. Small but nice honey harvest, treated with apivar, fed them all in the autumn using fondant until they all had between 30-40lbs of stores. Uneventful winter, monitored stores by weighing and no additional feeding required. All 3 hives came into spring in very good health and size. Had plans to demaaree at least 2 of the hives but then just over a month ago - Boom. The weather had been mixed but good enough for foraging on the hundreds of early blossoming cherry trees within foraging distance. Looking at a local analysis of trees, prunus is the largest single type in the borough. Maybe should have Demaree'd despite the weather being 'too cold' at times. Should not have missed a weeks inspection due to the weather. Probably should have added a dummied down second brood box to two of the hives at the start of March rather than a couple of weeks later. Anyway, two swarms - collected both, gave one away and nuc'd the other. A rather stressful episode but no neighbours have been harmed or unduly alarmed. No casts though - managed to get something right. Did an AS on the third hive and now there are 5. Got CBPV in the AS, not so much in the parent and very limited in the other 3. Biggest worry going forward now. One hive that swarmed requeened quickly, two others still no signs yet and found the queen that was in the parent hive of the split dead outside after an inspection (yep - could well have accidentally killed her). Here we are now then. Need to get back down to 3 hives once the overall queen situation becomes clearer. Lots of lessons learned but fully expect to make mistakes going forward but hopefully not the same ones. Most important skill that I need to develop further is reading the bees and the state of the hive relative to the weather and amount of forage and then being able to act appropriately. Think local!
And thanks for all advice on here.
Congratulations!
I must have got my first lot of bees about the same time as you both. It’s been a steep learning curve, full of highs and lows. All the best for the rest of the year.

I am on my 2 year anniversary today as well! Didn't realise how much thinking time, doing time, shed space, garden space (including the neighbours!) it would take up!
It was warm then I recall!

I am on my 2 year anniversary today as well! Didn't realise how much thinking time, doing time, shed space, garden space (including the neighbours!) it would take up!
It was warm then I recall!
It’s the thinking that is the killer. Too much of it mixed with indecision and paranoia. And having to wait a whole year to do something different in a specific situation.

It’s the thinking that is the killer. Too much of it mixed with indecision and paranoia. And having to wait a whole year to do something different in a specific situation.
And, when you then plan to do it differently the following year, the little darlings throw another curve ball and it all changes again! 😫

Latest posts

Back