One of our BKA members has a problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking out of the chicken shed into the apiary I spotted a crow dissecting something on the ground among the hives. Further inspection revealed this to be a dead grey squirrel. That's about the only time I've seen a crow near the apiary although squirrels do cause a few problems around the farm. Mostly they interrupt my sleep stomping around in the loft so I bait traps with peanut butter and despatch with kinetic energy and lead.

We had a problem in the village a few years ago where a crow went rogue. It stripped the flexible part of car wiper blade rubber . It pecked and pulled the seals out of double glazed windows and the rubber seals out of car door windows. It became a pest everywhere and many a ruse was tried to prevent the damage but it was estimated that it caused the guts of £500 damage before it departed the area due to high velocity lead poisoning. There are limits................
Reminds me of the Kea parrots in the alpine regions of South Island, NZ. They are notorious for stripping rubber parts from parked vehicles.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the Kea parrots in the alpine regions of South Island, NZ. They are notorious for stripping rubber parts from parked vehicles.

There were some forest ravens here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_raven) that liked my vehicle windscreen wiper rubber at an apiary site. I ended up wrapping the wipers in a towels in the end, and that stopped them. They are always generally doing a useful job here cleaning up road kill.
Now someone mentioned magpies. Here, quite a different bird, they are definitely an issue, although serious injuries and deaths are rare. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-66920781.
A really beautiful voice makes amends. They'll sing high in the gum trees in the middle of the night. Glorious.

Should work. Birds generally can't taste capsaicin (spicy flavours) due to lack of the correct receptor but mammals can.
They might not taste it but it could well give them an upset stomach.
Put some spicy joloff rice leftovers on the lawn.
We get rooks, magpies, jackdaws and seagulls.
Seagull took a whole load of the stuff but did not come back for more.
I think word must have got round, no birds came back for more.
Our chickens gave it a wide birth as well !
I'm offended because it was delicious.

They might not taste it but it could well give them an upset stomach.
Put some spicy joloff rice leftovers on the lawn.
We get rooks, magpies, jackdaws and seagulls.
Seagull took a whole load of the stuff but did not come back for more.
I think word must have got round, no birds came back for more.
Our chickens gave it a wide birth as well !
I'm offended because it was delicious.
yes, remember years ago we were alongside somewhere and there were loads of shitehawks in the dock, one of the lads decided to feed them bread laced with extra hot, brain attach chilli sauce. They did not like it one bit and tended to avoid grey boats from then on.

Latest posts

Back