Treated with Oxalic acid today.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OA mine on Sunday

Treated all 12 hives today plus 6 of my colleagues. I originally had 13 but one was completely empty. Loads of food and it appeared to be thriving in October. Hey Ho! unlucky number. 2 or 3 were on 8+ frames in the brood box. One giving me cause for concern only 3 seams of bees. All others looked good. Gave them a Chrissie prezzie of fondant as well.:cheers2:

I am probably over complicating it!!!!

Just a little bit! :grouphug:

Yes it will deteriorate at warmer temps, but over night in your house will have negligible effect on the Varroa.

Like wise weighing of the materials to only 1g will have negligible effect on the effectiveness of the treatment. If you use the same scales for weighing the powders (OA and sugar) and even the water, your errors are reduced.

Sitting back and not doing any of the above because it sounds complicated...not effective at all.

If the accuracy is 1 g, they are enough good.
Either you haven't seen/used an ordinary kitchen scales, or yours is far more sophisticated than mine which has gradations at 20g intervals.

Bye a new balance and make to your bees 100g S + 100W +7,5g OA.
It is for 3-5 hives.

When the balance turns just to 8 g OA, it is good.

I don't need to buy a new balance. I can weigh out a larger amount, dissolve it in water then use some of the solution. Cost of wasted material <50p vs cost of new balance £££s. In fact I could have saved the made up solution for future use, since OA is stable in solution, so the cost would have been zero.

Why are you getting so upset about this Finman? I merely explained how I made my OA + sugar solution to reasonable accuracy using readily available equipment. What's wrong with that?

Been pondering what effect this oxalic trickling is having on Queen bee's,especially the older one's,i suspect not good,early supercedure/swarming.,queen failure.

Last edited:
Either you haven't seen/used an ordinary kitchen scales, or yours is far more sophisticated than mine which has gradations at 20g intervals.

Nothing special just "normal" digital kitchen scales, the OH uses for cooking things, (SHH dont tell her what I use them for!)

I don't need to buy a new balance. I can weigh out a larger amount, dissolve it in water then use some of the solution. Cost of wasted material <50p vs cost of new balance £££s. In fact I could have saved the made up solution for future use, since OA is stable in solution, so the cost would have been zero.

You are quite correct, the cost is pennies compared with new scales or a new colony in the spring cos you did not treat them.:cheers2:

But you could always buy your other half a nice set of Digital kitchen scales for her Birthday or Christmas LOL:boxing_smiley::boxing_smiley:

What's wrong with that?

Only wrong is that you dis not told about you accurate balance.

You missed the first act:

1) dig from garbages a kitchen scale,which has gradations at 20g intervals.[/B]

To me bee diseases is serious job. I have seen so much stupid opinions from English, Irish, Scottish, from Welsh and other Globe Savers that I cannot understand why every 2 hive beekeepr must have their own recive, and year ago they haven't even heard about trikling. And your accosiation promise prispn to all who use that poison.

May I be upset in front of this*.*

And your weather varies so much that you do not know when to do that or this....

Last edited:
I got a small set of digital scales from Amazon for less than £10. They weigh up to 1kg in divisions of .1g. I checked them with a calibrated 20g weight and they were spot on. If anyone is interested I will post the name and number.
:cheers2: Mike

I also have a set that cost around £10
Use a £1 coin to check calibration,it should weigh 9.5g when clean.

Finman must be aka santa cos he's been in my house too:cheers2:

jep, sure...

I am interested for example to measure the difference with small and big honeybee honey load. Is it real or not? - How much 10 bees can suck syrup and compared their empty weight?
Perhaps it is better to follow, how much weight bees carry away and how many loads they have taken.

I have weighed peas and how much they have to eate. In a fat pea pod it was 30% those edible pills.

I managed to finish off my OA treatment today,I have been waiting days for the wind/rain to stop enough.

The temp was around 3c yet the bees did not want to play,as soon as the coverboards came off all hives went into panic mode.

They dont seem as sleepy as last winter..

I think Hivemaker is on to something regarding OA causing queen problems the following year.

I am tempted to try the new formic acid strips next year instead.

,as soon as the coverboards came off all hives went into panic mode..

Yes, they do. It is better be in a hurry that you get the cover back.
Even if you kick to the hive, they wake up to defend their hive. They raise the temp up to 40C.

I think Hivemaker is on to something regarding OA causing queen problems the following year..

In researches every one has reported that rtrickling does not cause queen losses or brood problems in spring.

I am tempted to try the new formic acid strips next year instead.

OA is the best stuff to kill mites, what ever you think.

Formic acid is good too to handle mites that population does not violate winter bees. Formic acid is intended to use after yield period in August and it takes 3 week to run through. Compare to 30 seconds with OA.

New formic acid treatment is only seven days.

What does research say about queens that have been treated with oxalic 3 times.

Oxalic can harm internal organs,and shorten the life of older bee's,so how does this effect a queen that is just a little over two years old,and has one oxalic treatment a year = 3 treatments,queens are fed by many bee's,so must also get oxalic inside.

Last edited:
Many beeks are finding that some queens are being superceded even in the first year,whats that all about.
Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back