The Off Topic Poll

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you mind if threads go off topic?

• Total voters
I eat the trout, one of the guys I fish with eats the bass. The larger perch we eat, smaller ones get cut up for crab bait. We actually throw back way more than we keep. Some days we can catch 50 fish an hr, just one right after the other. I don't know what you have had to compare perch to. they are like Tilapia if you ever had that?

Thanks I have eaten pike but not perch, they also don't get that big over hear but one day may give them a try. I would have to do this on the quiet though as most of the regular fishermen would not be happy about it.

Be careful what you eat!
http://www.ct.gov/dph/lib/dph/environmental_health/eoha/pdf/warning_to_people_who_eat_fish_2010.pdf

Fish bio-accumulate toxic substances from land contaminated with all sort nasties, I would be particularly careful if eating fish caught in a flooded landscape that may have been previously been a toxic wast dump.

If we payed attention to all the food advisories we would starve to death. They say not to eat organ meats of game animals, I ignore those too.... it is still better then the factory farmed crap you get at the store.

Sounds great ,do you get some big monsters in them lakes ?
And why did they fill them old towns with water ?

No big fish in the lakes up north really, down south they catch cats in the 50-60 lb range, but the fish we catch in the lakes up here are usually 8 lb or less. I also ocean fish and we catch some big Cod and Striped bass.

This lake was built in 1928 so not likely any toxic waste dumps. Back then this area was all farmland and villages. Many lakes here are man-made, mostly for electric generation, but this one is for flood control. There is a large river that had flooding problems so they damned the valley and put a pump station on the edge of the river with a big pipe up to the lake. In the fall they drain the lake down by about 20 ft and in the spring when the river starts to get high they pump the excess water up into the lake to keep the towns down river from flooding.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH...lY3RpY3V0JTI1MkMlMjUyMFVuaXRlZCUyNTIwU3RhdGVz

Last edited:
Many lakes here are man-made, mostly for electric generation, but this one is for flood control. There is a large river that had flooding problems so they damned the valley and put a pump station on the edge of the river with a big pipe up to the lake. In the fall they drain the lake down by about 20 ft and in the spring when the river starts to get high they pump the excess water up into the lake to keep the towns down river from flooding.
Perhaps we could learn from this over here at present !!

Perhaps we could learn from this over here at present !!

You will need some large sparsely populated valleys to flood and Imminent Domain. It was really popular here in the 20s- 50s, but I cant imagine it would fly today. With environmental impact surveys these projects would never pass mustard. They would always find some endangered mosquito or toad that lives nowhere else except the area slated for flooding.

There is one in Kentucky called lake Cumberland, same deal it was built for flood control. It covers 65 thousand acres and isn't even the largest man made lake in the Country. It has had a lot of problems with the damn leaking and they have had to drain it down many times to make repairs. They say if the Wolf Creek damn breaks on that lake, All of the major Cities in TN will be erased.

You will need some large sparsely populated valleys to flood and Imminent Domain. .

Well ... we've got most of the Welsh valleys in South wales ... They're a lot less populated than they used to be since the pits and steelworks closed... and the industrial revolution killed of most of the native flora and fauna down there ! {AND JUST FOR THE HUMOURLESS, TAKE EVEYTHING SERIOUSLY, PEOPLE OUT THERE - JOKE :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:}

Well ... we've got most of the Welsh valleys in South wales ...

Good idea - at least it will keep the English out - apart, perhaps from the bloody canoeists but at least it will keep the beggars off the rivers!! (Not a joke BTW :D )

What is ironic is that the first person to take this thread off of topic voted that threads should stay on topic:eek:

Not exactly,
Doris tried to do a three point turn in a somewhat narrow lane near St.Neots because a herd of cows were blocking the road.
The gate to the field from which the cows had exited had been left open and dear Doris thought that rather than execute a somewhat difficult manoeuvre in turning around her old Defender ( Long wheelbase ex military) that going off road around the field would be an exciting expedition and enable her to turn around.

The field was rather muddy and was of a particularly steep gradient down into a swollen tributary of the Fowey below. Thinking that if she could get enough speed up the Landrover would gain enough momentum for her to turn and progress up the muddy incline and exit through the gate, she accelerated down the hill towards the swollen river, into which she, Landrover and all sunk.
The farmer was not at all pleased to find poor Doris standing on the roof after returning to shut the gate and seeing a pair of tracks leading down the field!
He winched the Landrover out with his huge John Deer.
Doris says she is going to pay him back "in kind", poor farmer.

Are Landrovers over there as crappy as the ones sold here in the USA? Defenders are pretty much non-existent here and ones that are 20 years old cost 40-50 K. We have plenty of Discos, or did have, I think most have been scrapped by now. Plenty of Range Rovers... Both highly unreliable.

He winched the Landrover out with his huge John Deer.
Doris says she is going to pay him back "in kind", poor farmer.

She wants a ride on his John Deer

Latest posts

Back