The Off Topic Poll

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you mind if threads go off topic?

• Total voters

sugarbush

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
0-30 at any given time
Curious what the general consensus is here regarding topics that stray from the original topic? I understand that from a "search" standpoint it is a nightmare, but I have been around forums long enough to know that if someone has a question they just re-ask it, and rarely use the search feature.

I use search sometimes when going back to look for a thread that I have previously read. Even then because of the way some people title their threads and because many of our search terms are terms that get used in every thread, the search function isn't really all that useful.

My feeling is that if the main question is answered and the thread strays off of topic, who care? We are having a good time migrating it where ever it may go.

If somebody looses interest in a thread they are subscribed too and are tired of reading useless nonsense then unsubscribe from that thread. It is an awesome feature of the forum which I use frequently.

One thing I like about this forum is that it is loosely moderated compared to others I am on. I say live and let live.

It's like any lively social conversation - discussions veer off on a tangent, sometimes come back or actually start a new topic far more interesting than the original. Otherwise it just becomes the same small group of people talking at you

you generally get the answer you are looking for ,after that everyone knows its just repeating what was first said so go off subject , just to make it a bit more informal and fun to be on

Nice picture what are the fish you caught? Was it ice fishing.
:)

Weather wasn't too bad today, being still only the midddle of February. Or is this past the middle part of the month now?:icon_204-2:

RAB

Nice picture what are the fish you caught? Was it ice fishing.
:)

Nice taking the thread off topic :D

Yes they were caught Ice Fishing; it is one of my favorite winter pass times along with Ice boating, Snowmobiling, skiing, sledding and knocking on beehives.

They are brown trout, but we also catch perch,, bluegills, bass, pike, walleye.

Better look at the browns

here is the avatar pic large scale.

Nice taking the thread off topic :D

Yes they were caught Ice Fishing; it is one of my favorite winter pass times along with Ice boating, Snowmobiling, skiing, sledding and knocking on beehives.

Only one real use for ice - in gin! Plymouth Gin was my favourite, still rate it highly but with a quality distillery only some twenty odd miles away I now favour Penderyn gin - their single malt whisky is among the best as well

Watched ice fishing on sky will try it one day,do you have a little hut to sit in whilst fishing.

I thought we'd got rid of the dreaded Jenkinsbrynmair!

Will we never be free of him?

Dusty

I think he's left a store of automatically posted posts behind to keep us amused and largely off topic whilst he languishes in the Bundu taming killer bees !

Do you eat them all and if so what are the perch like

I eat the trout, one of the guys I fish with eats the bass. The larger perch we eat, smaller ones get cut up for crab bait. We actually throw back way more than we keep. Some days we can catch 50 fish an hr, just one right after the other. I don't know what you have had to compare perch to. they are like Tilapia if you ever had that?

Watched ice fishing on sky will try it one day,do you have a little hut to sit in whilst fishing.

We call it a "shanty" or a "bob house". I used to use one all the time, but it anchors you to one spot as they are either not movable or they are difficult to move. We basically dress warm and "cut and run". Give a hole a few good jigs and move on if we don't get any hits. The lake this is on in 5000 acres and man made. It has some old towns under it, a railroad, some grave yards. We used old Survey maps to find these areas and these are the things we fish over. The buildings are gone but the chimneys are still there and the fish hand around them.

Come State side in Jan or Feb and I will take ya. It is a lot of fun.

Last edited:
I eat the trout, one of the guys I fish with eats the bass. The larger perch we eat, smaller ones get cut up for crab bait. We actually throw back way more than we keep. Some days we can catch 50 fish an hr, just one right after the other. I don't know what you have had to compare perch to. they are like Tilapia if you ever had that?

We call it a "shanty" or a "bob house". I used to use one all the time, but it anchors you to one spot as they are either not movable or they are difficult to move. We basically dress warm and "cut and run". Give a hole a few good jigs and move on if we don't get any hits. The lake this is on in 5000 acres and man made. It has some old towns under it, a railroad, some grave yards. We used old Survey maps to find these areas and these are the things we fish over. The buildings are gone but the chimneys are still there and the fish hand around them.

Be careful what you eat!
http://www.ct.gov/dph/lib/dph/environmental_health/eoha/pdf/warning_to_people_who_eat_fish_2010.pdf

Fish bio-accumulate toxic substances from land contaminated with all sort nasties, I would be particularly careful if eating fish caught in a flooded landscape that may have been previously been a toxic wast dump.

Sounds great ,do you get some big monsters in them lakes ?
And why did they fill them old towns with water ?

Latest posts

Back