Podilia

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
40-50
Hello, people. Have an update today.

I'm happy to finish the main extraction of the season. I've got my first ton. Worked alone (I like to work alone without this "oh, I got a sting, what a pain!" or "Look, it's a wasp, it's going to kill me!") so it took 6 days, and I've got several stings from wasps. It seems to me it's really more painful than the bee's sting. While bees were working wasps in great numbers swarmed around to rob any drop of honey. Wasps are the big problem of this season.
It was interesting to see how the bees react to the different weather. After the rain at night they were not flying until afternoon, maybe waiting the plants to absorb water from the soil or the concentration of sugar in the flowers was too low. In general there is a drought for two month with little ocassional rains - typical summer weather.
1) Positive aspect of the current situation. All flights are forbidden. Farmers don't use their airplanes and helicopters which used to buzz at this time of year. The colonies look stronger and I haven't seen many dead bees on the ground though the sunflower as the main source of honey usually exhausts colonies.

2) Recently our regional city of Vinnytsia got a missile strike, the buildings at the center were destroyed. More than 20 people were killed including kids and even a baby.
Propaganda said they had attacked a military headquarter. The city is far from the frontline but sometimes missiles fly over there.
Fuel at the petrol stations is avaliable again.

3) The news from my cousine in London. They've got a pretty nice appartment from the local government. Her little son is already speaking English, maybe better than I do after years of learning. The weather in London is very warm, some trees are dropping leaves. She said, fruits in supermarkets are "plastic". I'm sure there are good fruits and vegetables somewhere in the local rural markets and shops. We used to have our own gardens and fruits here.
Also there were funny events for Ukrainian refugees and their kids.

4) For those interested in military aspects. The impressive video (with Eng. subtitles) of a street fighting from a journalist who spent a day in one of the cities on the frontline. We could see it only in the Hollywood movie but now this is the reality. When Russians realized they couldn't capture the city they destroyed it as they had done with other cities before. However putin's army is not doing well now.

Last edited:

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Good to hear you are still safe Podilia ... I can't begin to imagine what it's like living with the continual threat of missiles ... we all wish you well ... at least your wildlife and your bees seem to be benefitting from the awful situation you have over there .... it's a small silver lining.

Skinfaxi

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ask
Now this is getting seriously off topic, but...

Putin's puffy face has been commented upon (not least by Dr David Owen). One treatment for a thyroid lymphoma might be, I am told, the administration of a corticosteroid such as prednisolone, which might cause the puffiness. Apart from the immunosuppressive effects of glucocorticoids (which might account for the long tables) corticosteroids are known to have psychiatric side effects:

"Although disturbances of mood, cognition, sleep, and behavior as well as frank delirium or even psychosis are possible, the most common adverse effects of short-term corticosteroid therapy are euphoria and hypomania. "

And if you know you are going to die anyway, then: well what the hell.
When you are on high amounts of steriods you cant sleep at all. You will be up at 2am knocking together frames and hives and then take the dogs for a long walk. Its horrible stuff to be on.

Latest posts