Beekeepers suit poll

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Bee Babe

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello there, I’ve used the search engine and can’t really find a definitive answer.
My question is in relation to the best bee suits on the market. Is there a poll of some sort? If not could we maybe start one? I say we because I’m useless at this social media malarkey.

I’m preparing to delve into the craft albeit im in no real rush, so I am using the time I have to prepare my Apiary and to gain as much knowledge as I can. I don’t want to set myself up to fail so a Bullet proof suit is a must, ok it doesn’t really have to be bullet proof, just bee proof will suffice.

Thank you for your time. BBB

Google sheriff bees suit’s I would not be without mine I actually have 2 and the simple fencing type veil that I use for more pleasurable beekeeping.

Last edited:
I echo that - I have a Sheriff suit with fencing veil and its streets ahead of my first suit which I still have - a cotton suit which is much more uncomfortable in hot weather. A lot of folk go for ventilated suits these days, but at a higher cost.

Best is quite subjective; some vendors do fantastic suits but they charge a hefty price for them; depends what your willing to spend really. As Poot mentioned above Ventilated suits are a really good choice though and I'm happy with my Sentinel Pro II suits from Old Castle Farm hives.

BBwear or Sherriff are the best (Father and daughter funnily enough) I'm reluctantly retiring my last one after ten years of extremely hard wear, only because one of the zips is playing up and it's not worth replacing as the cloth has work pretty thin by now - from now on it will be kept as an occasional standby suit where the frequent fiddling to make sure the zip is fastened correctly is not as tiresome.

Can I thank you all for your input, I really appreciate all the advice. I had About £200 budgeted for a suit.

Thanks again guys.

I had About £200 budgeted for a suit.

BBWear or Sherriff are worth the money; for £213.99 you could buy a BBWear Basic suit and a BBWear Basic jacket. Jackets are useful for quick work.

If you belong to a BKA both of the above usually offer a discount to beginners in spring, though without Beginner Courses that's not much help this year. Used BBWear and Sheriff turn up on eBay sometimes.

JBM's story tells the facts: BBWear and Sheriff last for years and are good value in the long run: mine have been used for 15 seasons and only now need to go back for new zips and minor repairs.

If you’re not happy to be stung then I wouldn’t advise becoming a beekeeper...........

Bit like going swimming and expecting not to get wet.

Find your local association apiary & get involved there (when this **** storm has blown over). Then you’ll get a feel of what it’s all about. They’ll even lend you a suit while there I’m sure so no outlay before jumping in. Beekeeping isn’t for everyone.

Hello there, I’ve used the search engine and can’t really find a definitive answer.
My question is in relation to the best bee suits on the market. Is there a poll of some sort? If not could we maybe start one? I say we because I’m useless at this social media malarkey.

I’m preparing to delve into the craft albeit im in no real rush, so I am using the time I have to prepare my Apiary and to gain as much knowledge as I can. I don’t want to set myself up to fail so a Bullet proof suit is a must, ok it doesn’t really have to be bullet proof, just bee proof will suffice.

Thank you for your time. BBB

I've been using a lyson jacket and round veil from Abelo in conjunction with cheap ASDA jeans for a couple of years. Despite the ministrations of a couple of hell hives it works fine for me.

There is no definitive reply! In addition to the earlier replies on quality, you need to look at how and where you will use it. Ventilated suits are great but have two problems that I have encountered; if you need to push through vegetation (especially briars) forget it. You'll get stuck and or damage the suit. They are also easily damaged by heat - a hot smoker is a killer - and they are very flammable. On the positive side, repairs are easily made by glueing on patches.
Other things to consider are personal such as wearing spectacles or hearing aids and whether you are happy to wear a hat or scarf under the veil.Some fencing veils have a habit of falling forward and moving your glasses just when you need them most or pulling the mesh against the nose or chin with predictable results.

BBwear or Sherriff are the best (Father and daughter funnily enough) I'm reluctantly retiring my last one after ten years of extremely hard wear, only because one of the zips is playing up and it's not worth replacing as the cloth has work pretty thin by now - from now on it will be kept as an occasional standby suit where the frequent fiddling to make sure the zip is fastened correctly is not as tiresome.

Daughter and father funnily enough.....

Although father seem to be just in the background.

Sherriff ventilated suit at £300 + beats any of the other so called comfortable suits I have tried out.... bit like putting on a duvet but so comfortable to work in even on the hottest day moving shed loads of full supers!!

Chons da

At the end of the day cheap suits are cheap suits!

Well, he is a thousand years old! and they don't speak anyways, hence the two separate companies. Belinda and Michael are semi retired now as well - the sons running the company (hence the change of the discreet logo to a BFO badge to attract the badge/sisstifficit collector types :D)

Daughter and father funnily enough.....

Sherriff ventilated suit at £300 + beats any of the other so called comfortable suits I have tried out.... bit like putting on a duvet but so comfortable to work in even on the hottest day moving shed loads of full supers!!

Chons da

At the end of the day cheap suits are cheap suits!

Have you tried the BB Wear Ultra Ventilated suit?

Its quite incredible. I wonder how it compares to Sheriff version.

Well thank you for all your excellent replies, you’ve certainly left me with food for thought. The general consensus is you get what you pay for.
Thanks all, really do appreciate all your input.

If you’re not happy to be stung then I wouldn’t advise becoming a beekeeper...........

Bit like going swimming and expecting not to get wet.

Find your local association apiary & get involved there (when this **** storm has blown over). Then you’ll get a feel of what it’s all about. They’ll even lend you a suit while there I’m sure so no outlay before jumping in. Beekeeping isn’t for everyone.

I’ve spent time around bees a few years ago and received my fair share of stings, some not as nice as others, especially a face sting which flared up every time I took another sting elsewhere .
Nine stings out of ten were human error on my side. I certainly don’t expect not to get stung. But i want to be more prepared so that I don’t need to be stung needlessly. Prior preparation prevents piss poor performances and all that.
I just want a Bee suit that will do what it was made to do.
If I go swimming I don’t expect much from my trunks other than for them to keep my Baws hidden from the General public. I imagine a few blushes if they fail.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it greatly. BBB

How many times a year do we get a thread about the best bee suit? The answers are always the same, BBWear or Sherriff, save when "ventilated" is added into the question, when it's Ozarmour or Old Castle Bee Farm.
Can people not see what's at the top left of the page, beneath the daisy. Perhaps it should be highlighted.

Latest posts

Back