Hello from the Highlands

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdie Wife

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Hello! I'm soon to be a novice beekeeper, although I've had the books and some equipment for a few years sitting in my shed. I live north of Inverness in a cottage in the woods. I also love walking my dogs, baking, crafting and occasionally find time to make some music too.

I work for a conservation charity in Scotland, and plenty of beekeepers have attended my talks and we usually get chatting about the differences between honeybees and bumblebees. I thought I'd find out more, and go to one of the local BBKA meetings. A more friendly bunch of people it would be hard to find! So many offers of help, advice and information. So I'm finally biting the bullet and have put my name down for a starter colony when one becomes available locally.

In the mean time, I've been looking at videos, chatting to other local beekeepers and pulling my books off the shelf again. Hope you're all very patient, because I am bound to have lots of questions...

Hello! I'm soon to be a novice beekeeper, although I've had the books and some equipment for a few years sitting in my shed. I live north of Inverness in a cottage in the woods. I also love walking my dogs, baking, crafting and occasionally find time to make some music too.

I work for a conservation charity in Scotland, and plenty of beekeepers have attended my talks and we usually get chatting about the differences between honeybees and bumblebees. I thought I'd find out more, and go to one of the local BBKA meetings. A more friendly bunch of people it would be hard to find! So many offers of help, advice and information. So I'm finally biting the bullet and have put my name down for a starter colony when one becomes available locally.

In the mean time, I've been looking at videos, chatting to other local beekeepers and pulling my books off the shelf again. Hope you're all very patient, because I am bound to have lots of questions...

Nice one Birdie, sounds idyllic.

Welcome .

Lots of beekeepers in the Highlands. Have you joined the SBA?

Welcome .

Lots of beekeepers in the Highlands. Have you joined the SBA?

Yes I have :) and my local association is Easter Ross. Spoilt for lovely flower-rich habitats in the Highlands. The site I'm going to be using has formal gardens, lime and sycamore woods and heather all in close proximity so I'm hopeful for happy bees. Only drawback is that it's also quite public, though not accessible out of office hours so away from danger.

Thanks for the welcome!

You really need to try to find a spot that is tucked behind a hedge or trellis or similar, something that hides them from view and protects the public from flight paths or maybe that grumpy bee that we all get from time to time. Lovely to have them sited in a picturesque garden but not if public have access. If you can hide them a bit, the bees will still find all the goodies.

You really need to try to find a spot that is tucked behind a hedge or trellis or similar, something that hides them from view and protects the public from flight paths or maybe that grumpy bee that we all get from time to time. Lovely to have them sited in a picturesque garden but not if public have access. If you can hide them a bit, the bees will still find all the goodies.
That's good advice, thank you. They are pretty well tucked away and up a little bank so the flight path will be above visitors heads. Bees were kept there previously. My only concern is if I need to open hives when visitors are around, but I can cordon off the area reasonably easily and put up some suitable temporary signage while I'm working.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

but I can cordon off the area reasonably easily and put up some suitable temporary signage while I'm working.

I'd be tempted to leave the signage there for a few hours after working until you know your bees following and defensive habits. You occasionally get a rogue bee or two that is just on the lookout for trouble and they hang around for ages, along way from the hive.
Used to have some like that a few years ago....couldn't go out of the house for a few hours after an inspection without getting attacked. I don't keep any bees like that these days.

Hi Birdie. ERBKA seem a nice bunch. And with Sarnies & cake at every meeting we might need bigger suits! What kind of hive you planning? National or WBC? Cedar or poly?

Hi Birdie. ERBKA seem a nice bunch. And with Sarnies & cake at every meeting we might need bigger suits! What kind of hive you planning? National or WBC? Cedar or poly?
Hi EB are you ERBKA too? Lovely to know you! The cake and sarnie vibe is really good, and even better with a bit of sunshine. The hives I'm using for now are cedar WBC. They are borrowed which helps keep costs down and will probably have to stay that way in the public location I'm using as they are nice to look at.

I'd be tempted to leave the signage there for a few hours after working until you know your bees following and defensive habits. You occasionally get a rogue bee or two that is just on the lookout for trouble and they hang around for ages, along way from the hive.
Used to have some like that a few years ago....couldn't go out of the house for a few hours after an inspection without getting attacked. I don't keep any bees like that these days.
Sounds like a good plan... I have so much to learn.... Thank you

Hi EB are you ERBKA too? Lovely to know you! The cake and sarnie vibe is really good, and even better with a bit of sunshine. The hives I'm using for now are cedar WBC. They are borrowed which helps keep costs down and will probably have to stay that way in the public location I'm using as they are nice to look at.

WBC are good choice but I find the low brood box height is murder on the back. Have you thought about 14x12 brood box? Some fit inside lifts depending on age/make of wbc.

Back