Hello from a complete novice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonbeales44

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Good evening all.
My name is Simon and I'm very interested in keeping bees.
I have zero experience and zero equipment so my journey begins now.
I live near Redhill out in the sticks, have a reasonably large back garden also access to farmland beyond the back gate.
I have been researching beekeeping and also have a hands on day booked with a local beekeeping society.

Look forward to getting to know you all and receiving knowledge from the hive collective.

Hi Simon……..Good your doing a taster type day, I suggest if possible looking for a course. Many associations run them and some private set ups. Unfortunately many will be booked up but have a look. Helping experienced beeks is also another option.
Beekeeping equipment can be purchased in various sales and is about 2/3 reduced from the normal shop price. The items are seconds or more truthfully manufactured from cheaper timber but the bees don’t care! Id hold of on the equipment purchases until you’ve at least gained some hands on experience.

Good luck

Hi Simon……..Google your doing a taster type day, I suggest if possible looking for a course. Many associations run them and some private set ups. Unfortunately many will be booked up but have a look. Helping experienced beeks is also another option.
Beekeeping equipment can be purchased in various sales and is about 2/3 reduced from the normal shop price. The items are seconds or more truthfully manufactured from cheaper timber but the bees don’t care! I hold of on the equipment purchases until you’ve at least gained some hands on experience.

Good luck
Cheers, yes I won't rush into anything. Will get plenty of hands on experience first, and build the equipment as and when I can.

And seriously consider putting your bees into poly Langstroth
Which is what I would have done with hindsight

Back