Hello from the North East

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad mole

New Bee
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Ive recently signed up on here to build my knowledge on beekeeping. Last year we managed to get an allotment and im hoping this year to put a hive or two on it.

My background is woodworking so anything is possible, id love to make as much as i can myself but i have two concerns:

1 - Im up against it for time to get a hive going this year if i choose to make it from scratch. When would be a good target to aim for?
2 - Id rather have a full setup in front of me to copy or at least understand all the components better rather than making totally from plans.

Ive been looking at David Cushmans plans which seem very good but as im a beginner i dont know if they are fully up to date or if there are recommended changes since they were written many years ago?

From a small amount of research it seems a national hive seems to be the most popular, would this be the recommended for a beginner looking to make their own from scratch?

If you’re planning on making hives from scratch you may want to consider langstroth hives for ease and practicality. Seconds hives are available in sales if you want a model to work from.

Reactions: jim
Hello everyone. Ive recently signed up on here to build my knowledge on beekeeping. Last year we managed to get an allotment and im hoping this year to put a hive or two on it.

My background is woodworking so anything is possible, id love to make as much as i can myself but i have two concerns:

1 - Im up against it for time to get a hive going this year if i choose to make it from scratch. When would be a good target to aim for?
2 - Id rather have a full setup in front of me to copy or at least understand all the components better rather than making totally from plans.

Ive been looking at David Cushmans plans which seem very good but as im a beginner i dont know if they are fully up to date or if there are recommended changes since they were written many years ago?

From a small amount of research it seems a national hive seems to be the most popular, would this be the recommended for a beginner looking to make their own from scratch?
Welcome. I too would start with a flat pack second in the sales. Making them yourself may well turn out to be more expensive but the satisfaction of knowing it is your work may be worth it! Good luck

Hello and welcome to the forum! Goodluck with building the hive, I'm sure it will be excellent! :D

As several have said the cheapest way to start is to get second quality hives in the sales but I do make mine occasional if I run out during the year.
If you are considering making them take into account the sourcing and cost of decent wood, preferably cedar.
Good luck and have fun.

Welcome to the madhouse. You will enjoy making hives but it may not be economically justified 🤔. It's also worth considering what you will do if the allotment site becomes a problem. Some allotment associations are hostile to beekeeping and even friendly ones get tetchy if members get stung or otherwise inconvenienced. Always have a plan B.

I can testify to allotment landlords being difficult over tenants keeping bees. It may not be that there is any inconvenience - on the contrary other tenants may be very keen on the benefits of having a small apiary nearby. I suspect that it is sometimes a bullying culture, especially where new conditions, some of which expose ignorance, without any consultation.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and advice. I hadnt really considered a plan b as of yet as i assumed it wouldnt be an issue (i know there is another beekeper in a close by allotment).

i think i will keep an eye out for some seconds in the sales and then i can always copy from there.

Latest posts

Back