Beekeepers suit poll

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweaty inspections aren't fun

I'd sweat whether I inspected in my undercrackers, had a vented suit or a cotton one so I'll stick with my polycotton BBwear suit - does me fine out in Africa where it tends to be a tad warmer :D

They are also easily damaged by heat - a hot smoker is a killer - and they are very flammable.

I didn't know that. Well, that's something I won't be buying as I can see it wouldn't be long before a stray spark from my smoker melted a hole in the suit. I have numerous pairs of nylon shorts that have holes melted in them by sparks from a bonfire. I'm not clumsy per se but at three hundred quid a pop I think I'll be sticking with my BB Wear cotton jobby and just put up with the heat.

Great thread
Have 2 full bee suits, Sherrif and Oz Armour, both for me have advantages and disadvantages.
The Oz great in hot weather stay cool, but bit heavy.
The Sherrif has a few advantages :-
British made,
Always very helpful on the phone
Lot clearer veil important when looking for eggs
Large rings on the zip fasteners, great in an emergency
Comfortable to wear
Had a cheap suit once, was useless, now in 6 inch square pieces, great for cleaning the .410

By comparison,
The Oz Armour is heavy but once on you don't feel that weight.
I find it more comfortable than the two BB Wear suits I wore before, I don't finish inspections totally drenched any more.
Sherriff clear view veils are superior but the Sentinel Pro from Old Castle Farm has a veil that is equally good and also has the advantage of being both ventilated and very light.
If money is no object then the very expensive ventilated option from Sherriff and BBWear. I couldn't justify paying that, personally.

By comparison,
The Oz Armour is heavy but once on you don't feel that weight.
I find it more comfortable than the two BB Wear suits I wore before, I don't finish inspections totally drenched any more.
Sherriff clear view veils are superior but the Sentinel Pro from Old Castle Farm has a veil that is equally good and also has the advantage of being both ventilated and very light.
If money is no object then the very expensive ventilated option from Sherriff and BBWear. I couldn't justify paying that, personally.

I use the Sentinel from old castle. Really good and solid on the seams. I would not like my smoker to touch it though.

As I read your reply all I could see was my mate in his Sentinel, holding the smoker against his chest to open the lid and add more fuel.

It is the Sherriff Apiarist suit,
Going to carry out an AS to-day, going to be quite warm day about 18c, normally wear the OZ, but will be wearing the Sherriff due to the clearer veil so that I can spot the eggs easier.
Pity ther are no facilities to try both suits before buying. Buy wise Buy once (as the saying goes)
Good luck

What's the quality of the veils like, Heather?

Seem as good as others that are more expensive

BB Wear

I switched to a BB wear ventilated suit last year. Its great. nice and cool in the summer and no stings. They are expensive but makes beekeeping in the summer a lot more pleasurable. They also do repairs on them if needed, though I haven't had to use that service.

Well again. Thank you all so much for your input. You have all been so helpful.
It’s really comforting to be part of a great community.

God bless. Dougie (BBB)

So far have used BB wear suits, but at present it is really too hot. Just bought an old castle farm sentinel pro ventilated suit. Delivery in two days, well made suit, veil is very clear. It was comfortable inspecting at 2 pm today as opposed to two days ago when I postponed inspection until 6.30 pm in my old suit and even at that time it was like a sauna. Even though I followed their sizing guide and got a one size too big, it is still a snug fit, but still enough room. Dare say it will bed in a bit

Few days ago I bought the Swienty Breeze suit from Modern Beekeeping. Speedy delivery (DPD next day) and the suit is great. Excellent materials and overall very well made. Tested it couple days ago and it’s great, wind go right through you...

Few days ago I bought the Swienty Breeze suit from Modern Beekeeping. Speedy delivery (DPD next day) and the suit is great. Excellent materials and overall very well made. Tested it couple days ago and it’s great, wind go right through you...

Quick update and in case it helps anyone...
I plan to return my suit as I’m getting stung through it. Got stung about 3-4 times during the last 3 weeks (through the mesh).

Quick update and in case it helps anyone...
I plan to return my suit as I’m getting stung through it. Got stung about 3-4 times during the last 3 weeks (through the mesh).

That's not good. My Castle Farm jacket has been fine.. I took one sting in the crook of my elbow - I think I must have trapped her in the fold as I was lifting a super off and flexing my muscle (I know - I can't help having a body like Arnie in his heyday). But ... it wasn't a full sting and to be perfectly honest I've had bees sting through my jeans when they felt like it although these 'half stings' are no worse that a nettle rash.

Really pleased with my Old Castle full suit. 3+ weeks and not one sting. Kept me cool even when it was really hot. Made inspecting a pleasure rather than the sauna it used to be.

I have Oz armour 3 layerventilated. Super comfy to wear. Comes with 2 veils, fencing and Round. Paid £99 last year. Can recommend 👍

Back