So what's the problem with Oxalic Acid then?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The winter OA treatment is one of the most effective and easy to apply varroa treatments available

Quite right. One of those, whatever you said. It most certainly kills mites. Trouble is, most things that actually kill mites will kill bees in higher concentrations but obviously have less than a lethal effect on the bees at the 'mite killing' concentrations. It may be a 'far less than lethal' effect, but effect there will be. The workers? As long as they survive another couple of months, or so, who cares. The queen - slightly different.

the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

Agreed. Any effective treatment is far better than losing a colony to varroa. But what if there is minimal varroa already? These 'far out-weighing benefits' are now considerably reduced. At some point there will be no benefit and there may be lots of cases where the statement is not entirely correct.

Treating the bees with it is far from being a major faff

Agreed. Nor are most other treatments, some of which may have relatively low efficacy and some which have high kill-rates. While other treatments may struggle to achieve the efficacy of a good oxalic kill, two other treatments, combined, can be perfectly adequate, having a combined kill-rate as good as oxalic might be.

small amounts of oxalic acid are not dangerous

Agreed. Don't know what the fuss is about, certainly not for me - having used all sorts of chemicals for a good many years. Follow the safety data sheets or the product instructions! They would not be marketed if the dangers were too great, even for the 'inexperienced-in-chemicals' brigade.

I have to agree with the whole lot but I still don't do it - oxalic acid treatment - (now) because of the possible issues with queens, and whole colonies which may be infected with other pathogens (where the effects may be exacerbated by these treatments), if they are unecessary. I have a stock of oxalic acid to use if necessary but have not needed it for the last 5 years...

I make a judgement as to whether it is, or is not, necessary. Like nearly everything in beekeeping, there are alternatives and I base my decisions on the evidence I see on the ground. To kill just a few mites is not worth the possible hassle, IMO. YMMV, of course, but that is up to you.

RAB

oliver90owner;185323[B said:
The winter OA treatment is one of the most effective and easy to apply varroa treatments available[/B]

. But what if there is minimal varroa already?

- nothing

These 'far out-weighing benefits' are now considerably reduced.
- now you invent your own fairytales.

- oxalic acid treatment - (now) because of the possible issues with queens, and whole colonies which may be infected with other pathogens (where the effects may be exacerbated by these treatments), if they are unecessary. I have a stock of oxalic acid to use if necessary but have not needed it for the last 5 years...

Real rubbish TRICKLING HAS BEEN USED 15 YEARS AND RESEARCHED 15 YEARS. How you have front head make your own desions without researching anything and generating that garbage.

So I suppose the problem would lie with the queen, who, if using the same girl for two years, would end up with two doses, whereas the bees would be exposed to it once. What would you do about that? Does it matter that she would get dosed twice?

"Because oxalic damages the bees, it damages the queens, and dribbling oxalic does damage the bees,causing irreparable damage to there internal organs,malphigian tubules ect.
You can only do one dose as two will shorten their lives too much. If two does too much damage then one is doing some damage,and especially to the queen as she could be expected to have 3 doses or more."
To Quote HM.....

Depends on how your previous autumnal treatment with API var/guard thymolly stuff went and how large and uncontrolled the mite infestation is IMO

as last autumn there will be a lengthy debate... I believe Tractor Man will not let the stuff any where near any of his beloved vintage tractors let alone his bees.... and as for me I keep the stuff to get the rust marks off my boat's sails.....................................

Rock On !
:party:

:iagree: with rab. OA is there as part of the armoury (especially since unwilling to use unnatural pharmaceuticals). I personally may use it for a couple of colonies that had high drops with HM thymol but certainly not the ones that dropped <50 over treatment.

Finally it is your business where you believe.

This forum is not eager to know facts. It is just nice to talk, and facts limits good discussion.

"bees have bee millions of years....". Yes. That suits to everything.

OA

On catching a swarm, and OA ing along with the original colony left behind (no brood) if this was done in say June/July would it be ok to oxalic again late December? or on any swarm cought earlier ?

Dave W

surely a midsummer swarm, OA'd then treated with thymol based product in late summer/early autumn, will be all but clear of varroa come winter. Defo case for no xmas trickle needed.

"OA ing along with the original colony left behind (no brood)"

surely the point of certain broodlessness (worker and drone) corresponds precisely to the period when the virgin will be venturing out on first mating flights and we are told to leave hives well alone.

Suddenly a bit disjointed, this thread. Is it just my computer missing some posts or have they just sublimed themselves from the forum? disappeared completely!

Oxalic Acid occurs naturally in low doses in a wide variety of plants and animal tissues. Found in minor poisonous plants such as Rhubarb (do not eat the leaves!).

Earlier this year my local pub served some very pleasant Wood Sorrel Sorbet. Wood Sorrel is Oxalis acetosella, which is a bit of a give-away. According to Wiki...

>>
Wood sorrel, like spinach and broccoli, contains oxalic acid which is considered slightly toxic because it interferes with food digestion and the absorption of some trace minerals
>>

but I still seem to be putting on weight

Very useful thread - thanks all. The issues are now completely clear and I haven't a clue what to do. :rolleyes:

Hi there.

I use oxalic vapour in late autumn - early winter. I do not trickle any acids but use Thymol twice and then oxalic to get rid of the rest of the mites when broodless.
Looking at the weather in my area I will use oxalic vapour in about 2-3 weeks time.

Greets
Phil

Back