Problem with (I think) mining bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bees in your original post will all be dead , they have a short life cycle and it is very different to Apis M or the humble bee.
What generally occurs is the M/F emerge mate and then the Female makes a cell, packs it out with food and then lays an egg. Said egg grows and lives off the stores until it emerges as an adult , they spend more time in the cell developing then when emerged as a bee.

Hmm, I thought we were still on London clay where we were. Anyway, the front garden is very waterlogged :(

The bees in your original post will all be dead , they have a short life cycle and it is very different to Apis M or the humble bee.
What generally occurs is the M/F emerge mate and then the Female makes a cell, packs it out with food and then lays an egg. Said egg grows and lives off the stores until it emerges as an adult , they spend more time in the cell developing then when emerged as a bee.

Yes, sorry, I realise that. I just wondered how waterproof the cells/eggs were.

Hmm, I thought we were still on London clay where we were. Anyway, the front garden is very waterlogged :(
I was called to an infestation of ivy bees in a lawn recently and that was in a brick making area so I assume the bees army fussy on soil type . 😊

In any case, they won't sting. why not take a good photo of a couple of them and send it to your local Wildlife Association for identification? They'd also be able to help you manage them (or at least manage your mowing round their timetable )

Latest posts

Back