Your advice, opinions and comments would be very much appreciated.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 occupied at present. Plenty unocupied and awaiting tenants.
Good evening,

So far, hopefully, I don't appear to have a varroa problem. Or more accurately, the bees which live here in our hives don't appear to have a varroa problem. I personally do seem to be completely free of it!

I have looked very carefully but have not been able to see the varroa mite on any bees, nor in any brood, or on the hive floors.

When I started with bees, Varroa was not on the list of enemies. My teacher and guide, Albert Lewis knew about them but apparently they hadn't reached the UK at that time (early to mid 1980's). I seem to have muddled along without any trouble since. The odd hive losses were most definitely caused by mice getting in during the winters.

However, not wishing to become complacent and bearing in mind Ian123's suggestion when I first introduced myself here,
>>>Have a look here and get some reading done regarding varroa and various treatments. If in doubt just ask.<<<
I am now asking for your collective, valued opinions of the "Bee Gym" or "Slim Gym". Bee Gym Slim – 3 Pack – Varroa control £12.79 inc VAT

Are these items simply a 'gimmick'? or are they of some value the "prevention better than cure" stakes. I've not noticed the usual suspects on here singing the praises of these things, so I'm now querying their usefulness amongst the more usual armoury of oxalic acid, apiguard etc., etc.

I don't feel like waiting to see if the varroa mite want to invade and increase their numbers amongst the bees that live here. I'd prefer to be taking steps to stop them from increasing.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Malcolm B.

Why don’t you do a sugar roll to see the extent of the infestation first.
That did cross my mind. I'm a bit wary of greatly disturbing the new swarm that arrived a few weeks ago. They are pulling out foundation and there are eggs and grubs. Also pollen and honey. They are very docile and I was able to sit quietly with a frame and carefully study them closely (no veil getting in the way!), looking at their bodies for the tell-tale little red dots. I didn't pull the hive to pieces since I know there is a queen in there. However, looking down I didn't notice any drone cells. If I had, I would have had a look inside.

I think a sugar roll may well be a good idea to gauge how many are actually in residence in the other hive. If it shows a high count then the newer colony will be rolled too.

I happened to see this Bee Gym thing and wondered if it was any use. Mr JBM has confirmed my suspicions, (Thank you Mr JBM.)

Malcolm B.

I am not saying it isn't possible but I would imagine your bees will gave varroa. I can get a nil drop on the bottom board and a large drop after treatment. Some hives worse than others. To see them with the naked eye on bees is difficult. I started keeping bees in the 1980' s before varroa, I have learnt to move with the times and accept that they are endemic. I would not buy a bee gym but I have no evidence if it works or not.

I am not saying it isn't possible but I would imagine your bees will have varroa.
I entirely agree. If I had seen some evidence I would have been extremely worried because it would have probably been just the "tip of the iceberg".

I will probably do a sugar roll test very soon.

I would not buy a bee gym but
That's good enough for me. Thank you.

Malcolm B.

Most colonies will have varroa to some degree, just some colonies are better then others coping/dealing with them.
I'm quite certain you are correct. My next step now is to determine how effectively the two colonies here are when dealing with Varroa. The sugar test seems to be on the cards now.
Bee Gym is a bit of nonsense but the gullible need to be catered for by vendors.
This is exactly what I suspected - since there appears a noticeable absence of comments on this Forum regarding its effectiveness against varroa.

Thank you.

Malcolm B.

Good evening,

So far, hopefully, I don't appear to have a varroa problem. Or more accurately, the bees which live here in our hives don't appear to have a varroa problem. I personally do seem to be completely free of it!

I have looked very carefully but have not been able to see the varroa mite on any bees, nor in any brood, or on the hive floors.

When I started with bees, Varroa was not on the list of enemies. My teacher and guide, Albert Lewis knew about them but apparently they hadn't reached the UK at that time (early to mid 1980's). I seem to have muddled along without any trouble since. The odd hive losses were most definitely caused by mice getting in during the winters.

However, not wishing to become complacent and bearing in mind Ian123's suggestion when I first introduced myself here,
>>>Have a look here and get some reading done regarding varroa and various treatments. If in doubt just ask.<<<
I am now asking for your collective, valued opinions of the "Bee Gym" or "Slim Gym". Bee Gym Slim – 3 Pack – Varroa control £12.79 inc VAT

Are these items simply a 'gimmick'? or are they of some value the "prevention better than cure" stakes. I've not noticed the usual suspects on here singing the praises of these things, so I'm now querying their usefulness amongst the more usual armoury of oxalic acid, apiguard etc., etc.

I don't feel like waiting to see if the varroa mite want to invade and increase their numbers amongst the bees that live here. I'd prefer to be taking steps to stop them from increasing.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Malcolm B.
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/bee-gym-for-varroa-treatment.51279/
All the usual nay sayers saying how useless it is - but never having tried it ... whereas ... I have.

Hi Malcom your colony will have varroa that’s a given, if you’ve been straining your eyes looking for them sitting on top of bees as pictured in most books…….don’t bother!!! Many of those photos are rigged😂 The vast majority of mites on bees are under the bees abdomen between the plates. If you get to the point of actually seeing them your bees will have issues.

The bee gym….. or better known as bee gymmic!! should not be relied upon.

Don’t panic regarding varroa, many of us will use 1 of the off the shelf treatments for Autumn and a winter Oxalic in some form. This in the vast majority of cases keeps numbers in the active season below a critical level.

A swarm/colony before it has sealed brood is a good opportunity to treat with oxalic, if you’ve missed that window you’re getting close to an Autumn treatment period anyway. Nothing to stop you using any treatment sooner rather than later.

Actually, if anyone cares to read the thread I posted at #9 above you will find my comments. I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince anyone that it's the silver bullet for varroa, because it's not - even the inventer states it should be part of an IPM system - but, unless you've actually tried one and seen for yourself the effect it has, it's a bit disingenuous to knock it.

Bee gym:
Manufacture and distribution contributes to the economy -and also to pollution and climate change.
It's another art of the Ipm -and also another piece of kit that will need cleaning and sterilising.

As Enrico suggests ,your bees will very already have an infestation which you will probably never eradicate
Just keep it low level

That did cross my mind. I'm a bit wary of greatly disturbing the new swarm that arrived a few weeks ago. They are pulling out foundation and there are eggs and grubs. Also pollen and honey. They are very docile and I was able to sit quietly with a frame and carefully study them closely (no veil getting in the way!), looking at their bodies for the tell-tale little red dots. I didn't pull the hive to pieces since I know there is a queen in there. However, looking down I didn't notice any drone cells. If I had, I would have had a look inside.

I think a sugar roll may well be a good idea to gauge how many are actually in residence in the other hive. If it shows a high count then the newer colony will be rolled too.

I happened to see this Bee Gym thing and wondered if it was any use. Mr JBM has confirmed my suspicions, (Thank you Mr JBM.)

Malcolm B.
A new swarm is the very best time to treat for varroa. If there is sealed brood you've left it too late. As for the Bee Gym I fully support JB with his succinct reply.

Latest posts

Back