Raw honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If NBU has samples of all the honeys produced
I repeat - NBU has nothing to do with honey, it's provenance, quality or anything else so why on earth would they spend millions of scarce traxpayer's money on collecting and storing honey from every apiary?
the NBU is sorely concerned with bee health, even the Velutina thing is part commissioning work from the Alien species directorate.

If NBU has samples of all the honeys produced in the UK perhaps "local" can be a distinctive by adding other parameters such as humidity, conductivity, density.
There aren’t enough of them to police anything. The ones we have will be busy chasing hornets.
How do you standardise continually fluctuating parameters? If you’re not on a monocrop like OSR not only does your honey vary from year to year but from super to super.

My neighbour kindly gave me his Sunday Times Magazine ,which had an article on Turkish honey .One was Elvish honey from his hive at a altitude of 2.800m ,the hive is made inside a hollowed tree log.
Price for a 150ml jar is £810 equivalent to £5,400 a kilogram. But this is moderately priced compared to another called Centauri ,for kilogram of this can reach £63,000.
We can only dream .
John.

My neighbour kindly gave me his Sunday Times Magazine ,which had an article on Turkish honey .One was Elvish honey from his hive at a altitude of 2.800m ,the hive is made inside a hollowed tree log.
Price for a 150ml jar is £810 equivalent to £5,400 a kilogram. But this is moderately priced compared to another called Centauri ,for kilogram of this can reach £63,000.
We can only dream .
John.

I could probably manage some "Excalibur" honey, that's spent most of its time in a lake.

James

EricBeaumont said "Since 2002, the VMD has commissioned the BNU to take honey samples from beekeepers for chemical residues and the like. Please note that the link address indicates environmental and consumer protection.
https://www.nationalbeeunit.com/bee...vironmental-protection/honey-and-food-safety/"
It may not be all of them, but it may be many, it is information that will also be available to the consumer. If you want to continue playing blindly with extreme capitalism and suffer unfair competition from foreign producers blessed by politicians, do it yourseif.
There aren’t enough of them to police anything. The ones we have will be busy chasing hornets.
How do you standardise continually fluctuating parameters? If you’re not on a monocrop like OSR not only does your honey vary from year to year but from super to super.

EricBeaumont said "Since 2002, the VMD has commissioned the BNU to take honey samples from beekeepers for chemical residues and the like. Please note that the link address indicates environmental and consumer protection.
https://www.nationalbeeunit.com/bee...vironmental-protection/honey-and-food-safety/"
It may not be all of them, but it may be many, it is information that will also be available to the consumer. If you want to continue playing blindly with extreme capitalism and suffer unfair competition from foreign producers blessed by politicians, do it yourseif.
Well you just ban raw and be done with.

It may not be all of them, but it may be many
it's actually very few. A single sample from one hive during a normal Bee inspection. only a small proportion of the small proportion of apiaries inspected during the season are selected for sampling. the VMD will select at the beginning of the year the single residue they intend to test, sometimes (like a few years ago) the only thing they were testing for was heavy metals!! it is not a broad spectrum test, far from it.

In kitchen terminology, perhaps, but industrial filtering is on a different planet: diatomaceous earth is added to the honey, to which pollen and particles attach themselves.

High-pressure industrial filtration will not permit the DE+pollen to pass through, and what comes out of the other side is a cleansed product. I would expect that a significant loss of aroma would also result.
I wonder whether those processes remove the microplastics from the honey?
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0269749123000805

I wonder whether those processes remove the microplastics from the honey?
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0269749123000805
Well, that was shocking news, but on reflection, not, because micro plastics pollute our entire planet. Thankfully, bees' natural housekeeping almost prevents the contamination of honey: Most of the MF* (micro fibres) were accumulated in wax showing that honey remains as a safe food.

According to the google, a micro fibre is synthetic fiber finer than one denier or decitex/thread, having a diameter of less than ten micrometers and that Diatomaceous frustules have a variety of particle sizes, averaging from 3 μm to 200 μm and sometimes up to 1 mm.

MF diameter less than 10 micrometres, DE 3-200 micrometres, but what size of DE would be necessary to remove MF?

If anyone is in doubt of the gory detail of industrial honey processing, this patent application for DE filtration will keep you on the edge of your seat. At the end the inventors claim (vaguely, with the intent to reassure) that no loss or modification of flavor can be detected in the filtered honey, as compared with the original honey, and they deliberately avoid mention of the loss of pollen, minerals, vitamins and other beneficial attributes.

Last edited:
I think customers that buy their honey straight from the beekeeper can tell the difference in taste between good beekeepers honey and the other trash regardless of what it says in the label. The rest is just faff that isn't worth worrying about. On a hobbyist's level, the average customer is more interested in chatting to a beekeeper and knowing they have beehives in an apiary than what is written on the label. My labels just say 'Burgh Castle Honey' and they fly out. No need for silly gimmick words. The name of the area where they forage is better than anything else (if you happen to have only one apiary).

Latest posts

Back